Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Best Podcasts out there

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been listening to a lot of podcasts lately, while driving, at work, etc.

My faves are:
My Favorite Murder
The Purple Stuff Podcast
Raised By TV
Keep It!
What's the Tee with Rupaul
Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I've kind of rotated in a bunch of new (non-wrestling) podcasts:

- Dumb People Town: Basically Sklarbro County under a new name. The Sklar Brothers and Dan Van Kirk joke about stupid things stupid people (usually localized around the Florida area) do.

- History That Doesn't Suck/Tides of History/How It Began: I've been searching for a good history podcast that updates much more frequently than Hardcore History and these three are pretty good. Tides and How it Began are roughly around the same era right now (17th - 18th Century Europe) and the other is on the American Revolution.

- Dreamgun Film Reads: This one is fucking hilarious. Famous movie scripts are rewritten and comedians act them out without reading them first in front of a live audience. I only got into this one over the weekend and I've devoured all 12 episodes they've done.

- Sports? with Katie Nolan: Pretty much the only sports podcast I listen to and it's mainly because roughly 30% of each episode is devoted to sports. The rest discusses Katie's Fortnite addiction, making brackets of various pop culture subjects and making fun of producer Dopp. Oh, and probably the best ad reads of any podcast I listen to.

Old standbys: We Hate Movies, Giant Bombcast, Giant Beastcast (I've liked the Beastcast much more lately and I skip through WHM episodes whose movies I'm not interested in)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Got a ton of podcasts in heavy rotation, the only "mainstream" ones being The Right Time with Bomani Jones, the aforementioned Sports? with Katie Nolan, Cheap Heat and The Masked Man Show. I also listen to Three Guys On and Misandry with Marcia and Rae, which are ostensibly current events podcasts, hosted by comedians, the latter placing a heavy emphasis on topics that would generally be considered feminist (except that they don't really come out often enough to count as 'current': 3GO comes out weekly, and Misandry is more bi-monthly-ish).

Most of the rest of the podcasts I listen to tend to be of the "blackety-black" variety: The Black Guy Who Tips, The Interracial Jawn, most of the shows on the MTR Network, Black Astronauts, Where's My 40 Acres?, The Spann Report, Project Fandom... all shows that discuss current events, pop culture, TV, movies, music, sports, etc., but exclusively from the black perspective.

Also, since they don't talk current events (and are therefore not time-sensitive), I stockpile episodes of Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men and The Playable Characters Podcast, for when the other shows go on hiatus/holiday.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Just got out of seeing Last Podcast on the Left live in Boston
They did an entire section on the Montreal Screwjob, connected Casey Anthony and OJ Simpson to the Illuminati and MK Ultra, and went over the Pope Lick Monster.

Suffice it to say, it was incredible.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I finally started listening to LPOTL. I’d tried a couple times in the past and just couldn’t get in to it. Finally made myself see an episode through and it just snowballed from there.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Added some new shows to the rotation:

These Are Their Stories: Discusses episodes of all the versions of Law and Order (mostly SVU and "original recipe") including the real-life cases they are based on with a comedic bent.

Our Fake History, The Constant: History podcasts that talk about weird moments in history (like the history of Madagascar and how Germany wanted it to be basically a dumping ground for Jews before they came up with the plan they carried out) or if mythical figures like King Arthur actually existed. Really interesting stuff.

Seincast: A Seinfeld recap podcast. They sometimes get into Comic Book Guy levels of detail of the episode, but it's still entertaining.

I'll check out Office Ladies when it debuts. I've pretty much stopped listening to the Giant Bombcast and I'm even skipping through the Beastcast more; I can only listen to Dan Ryckert's "most aloof man in the world" gimmick so much. Plus, their e-mail segment has devolved into shit like "If you had to choose between (stupid thing A) and (stupid thing B)" what would you do?"

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does anyone listen to Doughboys? It's a podcast about chain restaurants, for anyone that hasn't heard of it. I enjoy it so much, it's the only Patreon I've ever joined, to get access to their bonus episodes.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I had to axe Talking Simpsons. Ever since Chris left the show Bob and Henry’s smugness has been running wild. I’ve been hate listening to it for some time now and I’m annoyed with myself for not doing this sooner.

My brother and I bought tickets for Last Podcast on the Left’s December live show in Detroit. No idea what to expect from it.

NOTE: in my previous post about trying to listen to LPOTL before and not getting in to it. That was actually night of the living podcast that I couldn’t like. I avoided Last Podcast for the longest time getting the shows confused.

Laz

Reaction score
LPOTL live is one of the greatest live events I've ever been to. It's a smorgasbord of the recurring bits from their podcast, and you can see Marcus and Ben try not to laugh at Henry every few minutes.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
CookieMueller said:
Does anyone listen to Doughboys? It's a podcast about chain restaurants, for anyone that hasn't heard of it. I enjoy it so much, it's the only Patreon I've ever joined, to get access to their bonus episodes.

I started listening to it this year despite living in Australia and having hardly any chains. I should sign up to the Doughboys Doubles soon.

Just listening to the Quiznos episode with Hayley Joel Osment and he's been a terrific guest.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Saw Last Podcast on the Left tonight in Detroit. What a delight. Pretty much a 90 minute more rehearsed hodgepodge version of the show. But I was smiling from ear to ear all night and laughed my ass off more than a few times.

Laz

Reaction score
YNA, did they end it with Marcus doing the "one for us, one for you" videos?

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Avid Enthusiast of Warehouses said:
YNA, did they end it with Marcus doing the "one for us, one for you" videos?

Yeah. Graphic videos of
Someone squeezing some stuff out of an open wound on their breast
Laser surgery on someone’s private areas removing some weird gravel looking growth.
And maggots that had infested someone ear.

Vs videos of monkeys wearing clothes.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I stumbled onto a show called The Atomic Hobo. I didn't know I needed a demure, soft-spoken Scottish woman talking about how governments planned to deal with millions of dead after an atomic attack in my life.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Thrasher said:
Joyful & Soyful said:
We Hate Movies

My favorite podcast. They're so funny I'm thinking of subscribing to their Patreon.

Do it. $8 for their top tier is a ridiculous value for how much stuff they put out. I don't even listen to The Nexus because I don't care about Star Trek but everything else is good.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
KingPK said:
Thrasher said:
Joyful & Soyful said:
We Hate Movies

My favorite podcast. They're so funny I'm thinking of subscribing to their Patreon.

Do it. $8 for their top tier is a ridiculous value for how much stuff they put out. I don't even listen to The Nexus because I don't care about Star Trek but everything else is good.

Favorite podcast (that I think I found here). They get my $8 a month. You get so much extra content. I’m way way behind on Nexus. I’d usually just watch a YouTube recap or trailer of the episode to get the gist of it first, cause I’m not watching that stuff.

Anyone else listen to Why I Hate This Album? It’s become a top show of mine over the last year or so.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's been my favorite podcast since 2013 when I got tired of everyone's gimmick on How Did This Get Made. The four hosts have amazing chemistry, bring something different, and are all funny in their own way. I agree that their patreon is one of the best around and they produce so much content. I do miss when they would do more obscure movies that I never heard of like Kill Crazy, Free Enterprise, Hider In The House, and Baby Cakes, but I understand they are getting more popular and have to do movies that would bring in new listeners.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
In my iTunes feed, I have a whole bunch of their show and only started listening to those of the movies I watched. I'll get to the other ones later. The Space Cowboys and Batman (1989) are my favorite ones they've covered so far.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Batman 89 was one of my least favorites. Sometimes they will just fall in love with a bit and hammer it well past death.

My personal favorite episodes off the top of my head are

One Magic Christmas
Next of Kin
The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking
Hard Target
Sabotage
Moonrtrap

If it’s a movie you’re not super familiar with just watch a trailer and maybe a couple YouTube clips.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're into True Crime, the episodes on The Dating Game Killer (4 of 6 have been posted) from the Hollywood True Crime series is absolutely riveting listening. The voice over woman is fantastic too, so silky smooth.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYXJ0MTkuY29tL3RoZS1kYXRpbmctZ2FtZS1raWxsZXI&ved=0CAAQ4aUDahcKEwi449f69KboAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAQ&hl=en

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-fake-doctors-real-friends-60367049/

Scrubs is getting in on the rewatch podcast craze. It's been pretty decent so far with their stories of how they auditioned and they've already had Bill Lawrence and Sarah Chalke on.

LaParkaYourCar

I'm BACK!
Reaction score
KingPK said:
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-fake-doctors-real-friends-60367049/

Scrubs is getting in on the rewatch podcast craze. It's been pretty decent so far with their stories of how they auditioned and they've already had Bill Lawrence and Sarah Chalke on.

I love Fake Doctors, Real Friends. I've been binge-listening the last few days. The next episode they record is going to be rough with Sam Lloyd dying. It will be interesting to hear their thoughts.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This seems like a bad investment as Joe Rogan is just about to dive into full blown right wing galaxy brain guy.

I mean he was a mostly a galaxy brain libertarian type anyway but now that he's got that sweet cash, I feel like he'll really go for it.

Laz

Reaction score
Spotify is snatching up a lot of popular shows, eh?

Also, if anybody else is into actual play podcasts, Dungeons & Daddies (Not a BDSM Podcast) is absolutely hilarious. The Story Break/RocketJump crew play D&D as a party of real world dad archetypes who get sucked into the Forgotten Realms and must find their missing sons. I have found myself laughing so incredibly hard while listening that I've needed to rewind every few minutes to catch what was said.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Joe Rogan signed a $100m deal to move his show exclusively to Spotify later this year.
Is there a way to download Spotify pods? I just signed up to a free account so I could get the Taker and Travis Walton pods but it seems I have to listen on the site. This is okay except I tend to not listen to 2 hour pods in one heap.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Is there a way to download Spotify pods? I just signed up to a free account so I could get the Taker and Travis Walton pods but it seems I have to listen on the site. This is okay except I tend to not listen to 2 hour pods in one heap.
I have the Spotify app through the Apple App Store. I don’t like the app, but no real issues downloading or playing. The newest stuff shows up for me just fine.

Laz

Reaction score
As YNA alluded to, download the app. It lets you download casts, make playlists, etc.