Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Better Call Saul

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This has been a pretty decent show so far. Surprised to talk to my friends who like breaking bad, as many of them haven't been watching this.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I've been quite impressed with the show so far. I do wonder how much shelf life it will have though, but for now I am enjoying it.

Dandy

Reaction score
I think it could go on for years. You can work up to Jimmy becoming Saul completely over two seasons and then pull a few out of his shenanigans as Saul. There is plenty to cover in this five years before Breaking Bad. I think Gus should have a mini arc or an entire season.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The second half of last night's ep was kinda devastating. That final scene was just great acting from Odenkirk and McKean.

Chuck took over for Professor Lasky as biggest bastard on the show.

I'm still wondering how The Mike Show is gonna converge into Better Call Saul. Last night, it felt like I was watching two great episodes of two different shows spliced together. Great stuff from Jonathan Banks regardless.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think they were kind of telegraphing what Chuck would do when they showed his reaction to Jimmy telling him he passed the bar, but it was still a kick in the nuts.

Not gonna shed a tear when
Chuck blows himself up, which I think they were hinting at

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Yeah the last scene was gut-wrenching. What a pleasant surprise this show has turned out to be so far.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Has been a very good first season. I'm excited to see where the finale goes and what next season has in store...

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm bummed it was only a ten episode first season. Or whatever it is. It is not enough.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thought some of the Mike stuff was cartoonish but oh man that final scene with Chuck.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
So did everyone watch the finale? Nice wrap up there with a few hints of what is to come. I have a hunch the guy Mike was talking to ever so briefly at the end of the episode was someone who is going to put him in contact with Gus.

OG

OG
Reaction score
I enjoyed the finale. I like how the first season was the set-up to him becoming Saul and the end of the finale seems to indicate that time is here.
Marco dying
was surprisingly poignant and Odenkirk really knocked it out of the park acting-wise.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Very good first season, but I thought the finale was just meh. Not bad, but not up to the standards of the rest of the season.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Really liked first season. I loved him driving off at the end. Like he's ready to blow it up. I'm really looking forward to season 2 to see where it goes.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Well.....I don't want to spoil anything for folks who aren't caught up but business is about to pick up for Mike with who just showed up at the end of last night's episode!

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Ol' Dandy Bastard said:
I think Gus gets involved to save Mike, leading to Mike working for Gus.

I am thinking that is likely how *HE* ends up in the show too.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Not a very active thread, do we need all the tags? I just caught up after watching Season 1 on Netflix and we paid for the season pass to keep up with second season, we enjoy it so much.

I thought the Kim Wexler focused episode was pretty great. Being a lawyer at a major firm looks like the worst.

Chuck is such a dick bag most of the time, see the flashback at the beginning, but you can really see how jealous he is of Jimmy when his lawyer joke falls flat. And the story he told Kim about Jimmy stealing all that money from his dad, effectively killing him, adds a little credence to Chuck's side of the story.

As for Hector and Mike, man what a great scene. All the Mike stuff makes me so sad, seeing what happened to his son, the lengths he's going to for his granddaughter and why... and you know that Walter White is just gonna show up and ruin everything.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have a feeling there's more to that story Chuck told about Jimmy and his Father that we will find out later. Chuck may be a bit delusional thinking his father was such a saint, and I highly doubt Jimmy would steal from his own family, despite how unethical he can be.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Yeah you're probably right. I have been thinking maybe there is some reason Chuck is such an asshole to Jimmy and I think I probably shouldn't have taken that at face value.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think there's any way that its as cut and dry that Jimmy stole thousands of dollars from his dad.

It'll be interesting to see how/why/when Chuck's wife left him and Chuck probably blames Jimmy for that, too.

I really love how they mess with who you sympathize with every episode. When they revealed that Chuck was behind Jimmy not getting hired at HHM and then almost right away they had Chuck explain his reasons and you could understand where he was coming from. They didn't even make Howard a great guy after the reveal, too.

I've heard that the ratings aren't great, but it already got renewed for a 3rd season.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think HE thinks that his story is true. I also think he is incredibly jealous of Jimmy's ability to talk his way through everything with ease.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Yeah I think there is a bit of "I worked my ass off the way you are "supposed to" " envy on Howard's part. He took the long traditional route to get where he is, yet Jimmy always seems to be able to grease the right wheels in order to get where the going's good.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I'm really loving this season so far. I love Mike's story and it's great here getting so much more TV time this season. Very interested to see where everything goes and develops. I still haven't seen all of Breaking Bad (up to season 2. Yeah, I know) so it'll be interesting to meet these characters later on in that show.

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One thing I really like about this show is how the blade is hanging over everyone's neck. The long-term future of Kim does not look bright, and downright terrifying since you see how she embraces the grind and the struggle and is awfully resilient. She's going to fall, and it's going to hurt to watch in the best way.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
To be honest halfway through Season 2 I think BCS is better than Breaking Bad was at this point in the it's series. Now with that said, I am not sure if this show is capable of elevating itself to the heights BB did.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul/comments/4dvckg/what_do_the_season_two_episode_titles_mean_theyre/

Fifi
Rebecca
Inflatable
Nailed
Gloves Off
Switch

Bali Ha'i (R A V O)
Amarillo
Cobbler
Klick

I fell like they've been hinting at this with Mike and Nacho always meeting at what look like chicken coops.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Well after last night's episode and the sneak peek at the S2 finale, I think we know how Hector ends up in the wheel chair possibly?

This season has been great.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
treble said:
https://www.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul/comments/4dvckg/what_do_the_season_two_episode_titles_mean_theyre/

Fifi
Rebecca
Inflatable
Nailed
Gloves Off
Switch

Bali Ha'i (R A V O)
Amarillo
Cobbler
Klick

I fell like they've been hinting at this with Mike and Nacho always meeting at what look like chicken coops.

I binged Breaking Bad since last Monday, I loved it by the way, and I mentioned to a coworker that it'd be interesting to see how he is brought into the show.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of the best episodes of the series. Felt like watching a vintage BB episode. Can't wait for the finale.