Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bill and Ted 3?

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Curious how the movie does both from a critic/audience consensus and more importantly, from a box office standpoint.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Unhinged made $4 million last weekend pretty much on basis of being only new movie out. It seems to make sense that this will make at least 2 or 3 times that based on name value but Idk. Most people aren't comfortable going to the movies and a quarter to third of the country's theaters are still shut down.

CineMagic, big chain here in Maine and NH (and only Maine & NH I think), is offering $5 tickets to this and yeah, no. I don't see myself going to an indoor movie theater for a long long time.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
If theaters were to reopen here, I would have taken the chance to see this but it looks like that (and indoor dining) aren't happening for awhile so I may sadly have to settle to seeing it on demand in my living room which is not ideal as I've been waiting for this one for nearly 30 years but thems the brakes.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is perfect drive in weather this weekend (high 60s. Sweatshirt and shorts weather) anyway. Maybe I'll think about going into a movie theater once things completely go to shit weather wise in November but I bet COVID numbers are going to go shit when the weather sucks again too. So yeah I would put my chances of seeing a movie in an indoor theater this year somewhere between 0 and 10%.

Which is too bad cause I love seeing classic movies in theaters and that's pretty much all they're showing but I'm not gonna risk permanently damaging my lungs to see The Goonies (or any new release).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Rented it on Amazon Prime mostly to support the movie/actors/creators. It did a good job mixing the 1st & 2nd movies and was enjoyable with some solid laughs. Keanu and Alex were like they hadn't changed at all, which is a credit to the characters and their obvious passion towards them. Samara Weaving and Brigette Lundy-Paine were fine enough in their roles, basically young female versions of Bill & Ted as expected. Would have liked to have seen Death a little more but I have a feeling scheduling effected some things. Dennis, the robot was quite amusing as well.

If you're a fan of the Bill & Ted series, you'll probably like this quite a bit. It's light hearted and fun escapism in this time. I don't know if it's "worth" a $19.99 price tag but I enjoyed it enough that it was worth it to me. 7/10

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think 7/7.5 out of 10 is right. Just got back from drive in. This is about as good as you can expect from a 30 years later sequel. It felt like they were a cramming a lot in but it felt like a good coda to series

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I really liked this. It was a ton of fun. I liked how it took the best parts of both movies and put them together. Very, very fun movie, and that's all I wanted. I teared up a little with Rufus. I also popped when Kid Cudi
was revealed to be STATION!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I must have missed that spoiler either when I rent to restroom or cause we rolled out of the drive in cause we wanted to beat traffic.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I must have missed that spoiler either when I rent to restroom or cause we rolled out of the drive in cause we wanted to beat traffic.

When Bill and Ted were saying goodbye to Cudi, he turned around and said
STATION!
and I let out an audible, "Oh shit!" then I, of course had to let one out, too.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
This was everything I ever wanted in a 3rd installment to one of my favorite film series ever. I waited nearly 30 years for this one and while I wish it was under better circumstances, it was the perfect love letter to my 5-year-old self.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm super happy for Alex Winter here. From all accounts one of the nicest guys in the business. Super creative as well. Just got type casted and eaten up by the cruelness of show business the last 29 years. Glad he got this moment

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm super happy for Alex Winter here. From all accounts one of the nicest guys in the business. Super creative as well. Just got type casted and eaten up by the cruelness of show business the last 29 years. Glad he got this moment

He seems to have transitioned to making docs and I think a couple of his docs got good reviews. In addition to Bill and Ted, I'm one of the few people that's a really big fan of his obscure and underrated 90's comedy Freaked so I'm really happy for him.

This has some clunky parts and it took a bit to get going, but for a sequel 29 years after the last it does a really good job. I saw a lot of people worried about the daughters, but when I saw Samara Weaving playing one of them, I knew they'd steal some scenes. Bridgett Lundy-Paine was fantastic and exactly like young Keanu. Weaving's facial expressions and mannerisms crack me up and she has so much charisma and presence. I think she's a role or two away from getting really big. Keanu I thought wasn't great but he tried his best and it's clear he loves playing Ted. His hoarse voice kind of takes me out of a lot of scenes, but that's not his fault just the sands of time. Alex Winter was basically the same and was fantastic. The story was great and they kept the same vibe of the first two while adding in some new elements. The ending was very touching and the big song sounded like Arcade Fire lol. Quite a bit of the jokes miss for me, but I was constantly entertained throughout and it's a must see for any Bill and Ted fan. I had a smile on my face throughout and I sort of needed a movie like this with all the rotten shit going on.

The nitpicker in me was trying to guess how old the Princesses were supposed to be since the actresses playing them were 10 and 13 years younger than Keanu and Alex Winters and for some reason I always thought they were supposed to be a little older than Bill and Ted.

I'd go 7/10. It's a lot of fun and is a sequel that doesn't take away from the other two and adds to it. I do think the first 50 minutes or so of Bogus Journey (Before Station!) is probably the best and funniest Bill and Ted movie, but that movie just gets a bit much once the trolls with the pronounced buttocks voiced by Frank Welker start running around.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Was wondering if Bill & Ted 3 was successful streaming wise since it seemed to kind of be going under the radar a bit in terms of its release.

"The pic in its stateside theatrical release via United Artists Releasing has grossed $3.3 million since its August 28 opening, but in the pic’s PVOD run sources tell us Bill & Ted Face the Music has notched around $32M."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Some movies might be worth putting out on VOD.
I think Bill & Ted Face The Music was only $20 VOD. I feel like others were charging more. I know Mulan was like $30. I don't even think for a top flight blockbuster, people are going to pay to watch that at home (even if it is technically cheaper than taking a family of four to a matinee for it). I feel like $20 should be max and most blockbusters couldn't sustain themselves on that. Bill & Ted was right movie at right price.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Bill and Ted is pretty niche and always has been. For them to charge $20 and still get that many viewers tells me there is a huge VOD market but studios just haven't learned how to capitalize on it yet.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Good to read the film did a decent haul from VOD, surprisingly it played near me on a few screens but still did end up going the VOD route midnight on the Friday release, but then went ahead and saw it a second time in the theater. Had a great nostalgic ride with this film, although it had some flowing issues to the script with all of the time travel stuff. But it was great to see old characters return after being gone so long (Bogus Journey was released in 91 I think?) and in a pretty fun story. The ending I thought was a bit overproduced, though. Still fit the threequel standard of probably being the least quality of the three films, but it was still well worth a look.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bill and Ted is pretty niche and always has been. For them to charge $20 and still get that many viewers tells me there is a huge VOD market but studios just haven't learned how to capitalize on it yet.
It's just a matter of setting right price for right film. $20 for B&T was right but maybe too much for The King of Staten Island. $30 was definitely too much for Mulan. I just don't know if film industry will have the patience with movie theater industry dying.