Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bill Cosby raped at least 15 women

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From a purely legal-technical standpoint I am fine with this because people's 5th amendment rights deserve to be protected but what annoys me is Cosby was able to get out because he had the financial ability to hire lawyers who knew to look for this shit. A poor person relying on a public defender would likely still be rotting in prison. And this doesn't mean laws should be harsher for rich people, it means it should be *better* for poor people.
I catch hell locally for having the same general sentiment for other high profile cases where prosecution either bumbled or was incompetent even after the defendant was prosecuted in the court of public opinion. Your post is the most eloquent summation of what I've tried to convey for years. "I rather that asshole walk than me get convicted because a DA said 'just trust us, he's guilty.' "

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For all the jokes about Cosby returning to stand up to headline Skankfest or what not, I'm hoping he has some semblance of self awareness and just spends the rest of his life in seclusion. If he thought his 2014-15 tour was rough, I can't imagine how hostile his comeback tour would be.
Well. Once again I have underestimated how horrible comedy promoters and the amount of self awareness the elderly lack.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wait, I thought he was going blind or something? Did his PR team send out misleading information? They were literally painting him as enfeebled and like dying.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You can still be blind and do stand up! But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if his vision was "miraculously restored" before he closed out Skankfest this fall.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the Showtime docuseries on Cosby? I thought it did a pretty good of weighing his legacy. It could've used another episode covering the '90s and '00s IMO. It went awfully quick from The Cosby Show ending to Cosby being a grumpy old lecturer. It barely glossed over Ennis' murder and it didn't even mention the Autumn Jackson extortion trial. Which I feel like was the thread between him being a universally beloved father figure to embattled grizzled elder statesman (and eventual known serial rapist).

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
To clarify:
- Holly Madison complaining about having "robotic sex" with Hef the 1st time and being uncomfortable....only to then take a 52K a year salary and stay on another 7 years as Hef's pro girlfriend. Then only quit because she was a star on a Playboy reality show and saw a chance to grab a different brass ring.
- RE: The Playboy Clubs - "They made us weigh in!" Well, yeah, they are selling sex and innuendo in the form of a bar. If the men wanted to look at Roseanne Barr, they'd go home to their wives.
- The Don Cornelius kidnapping and raping with a wooden object story was told second hand. Obv. the victims could have been horrified, but CALL THE COPS.

- The first woman on the Cosby doc's story was that her son drowned so weeks later she went out clubbin', took pills willingly from Cosby and he took both her and her friend to an office or some shit. Cosby wanted to fuck her friend, but even in a drugged up state the vic was being a pest to Cosby, so he skull fucked her instead and then doggy fucked her. Then instead of cleaning up his crime, Cosby left them in this random place and told them to call a cab. At worst I found the story to be overly elaborated over the 50 years since it went down. Cosby was obviously and admittedly guilty, but this story didn't ring true. Again, at worst, there are 2 of you collaborating the story....CALL THE COPS. Would Cosby have been so bold and sloppy? Maybe?

- Here's my WOKE card. I'll try to do better in the future.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If only it was as easy as "call the cops." Not throwing shade, @BruiserBrody , I've recently been a sounding board recently for a survivor I met in the last year. She expressed to me that even with compelling evidence that she went through *insert horror story* the investigators kept trying to interrogate her like she was the criminal(s), the DA pre-trial kept making her feel like it was her fault, and then of course the trial process when you have the defense attorney defending his client (as per the rights afforded to everyone by our constitution). While in the end, she's safe and in hiding, reporting victimized her all over again.

I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't already know, got a little worked up when I saw "call the cops." I don't know what changed since the 1980s and 90s when I was the safe friend for peers that survived, but something about 21st century investigating is really fucking over the victims.

As far as 50 years ago with the Cosby case??? Those were still borderline scarlet letter days for women. "Nonconsensual! I was raped!" 1970s Society, "why were you out of the kitchen dressed like that???"

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn’t want Bill Cosby blindly clanging and banging around the kitchen and making me giant hoagies if I am accustomed to personal chefs for the past 50+ years.