Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Billy Corgan buys the NWA..... WUT?

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Surprised to hear he passed on, too many mysterious deaths this past year in wrestling.

So with Eli Drake going to NXT, Storm seemingly more or less signed to Impact, and now a death of a major NWA figure (and an entertaining one at that with the Question Mark gimmick), who is even left in the NWA at this point? Aaron Stevens and Nick Aldis?

I will be shocked if this company ends up returning at all at this point. Seems like the NWA is cursed at this point.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Don't forget Corgan's right hand man (and guy running day to day operations IIRC) Dave Lagana getting MeToo'd during #SpeakingOut and having to bounce.

I almost said Dave Marquez and incurred the wrath of @Big Beard Booty Daddy and whoever still watches Championship Wrestling From Hollywood.

But yeah, I don't know what role NWA has its own stand alone show. I think it's probably best if they just had travelling champions at this point.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Quietly fold into the forbidden mailslot so at least guys can get some level of exposure. Aldis is worth it.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
All traces of the modern NWA has been removed and wiped from YouTube. Nick Aldis tweeted a Churchill quote and Meltzer teased there is a big announcement coming up but indicated it was good news and not NWA with AEW. So I’ve seen some either speculating an Impact merger or getting a TV deal on AXS, though I’m not sure what talent they would even have left at this point.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought Aldis had a pretty bitter fallout with Impact but maybe there's been enough water under the bridge (and enough regime changes there) that he is willing to let bygones be bygones.

Sandow is still there (and he's still young enough where I feel like he may have one last solid run in him) and uh----the old ass Rock N Roll Express (who also show up in ROH, NJPW, and AEW)?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Nah, since this all happened I haven’t heard many pushing the end narrative. I’ve mainly seen perception if you wipe your Youtube page or empty your merch store, there’s likely some change in ownership. Unless the new ownership has ties to an existing company, no idea what talent is even left for them to trot out. Most of their key players outside Aldis have signed elsewhere since the pandemic.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm interested in what their roster will look like since, as mentioned, most of their featured stars have now signed elsewhere.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They have a talent sharing agreement with ROH but ROH's anniversary PPV is that weekend although it may have already been taped by then.

I know a lot of indy stans will say the talent pool is just as deep as ever but I think it's pretty stripped at this point. Anyone who gets the least bit of traction gets scooped up by WWE or AEW. So I'm also wondering who the hell will be at these tapings besides Aldis and Aron Stevens.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ahem! (clearing throat. Trying unsuccessfully to talk over Wrestling Twitter loudly murmuring about Joey Ryan's attempted comeback/dirtbag behavior
Uh. NWA is having a live PPV on 3-21.

On March 21st NWA is back on FITE! Back for the Attack is the first PPV event of NWA in 2021 and will be big, and historic! The event features the NWA World’s Heavyweight Champion Nick Aldis, NWA stars Thunder Rosa, Aron Stevens, Trevor Murdoch, Elijah Burke aka The Pope, Tim Storm, Kamille, and many more. Tune in, order today and watch on FITE!
Most interesting aspect of this is the PPV is going to be on a Saturday afternoon at 4 PM EST/1 PM PST. Uh, was Billy Corgan lurking in the WrestleMania Rewatch thread when I was bitching about PPVs always being on Sunday nights and how I have a hard time staying awake?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't watched more than 20 minutes of the NWA revival! This is almost as bad as the accusations of me stanning Matt Taven!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Probably stopped after 20 minutes because there wasn’t enough Taven. If Taven was in NWA, you probably wouldn’t even leave the house long enough to acquire Dunkin’ Avocado Toast

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NWA POWERRR is also moving to FITE and will no longer be free but will charge a monthly subscription fee which seems dumb. Idk why anyone would pay for that especially since Matt Taven isn’t even there.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
NWA POWERRR is also moving to FITE and will no longer be free but will charge a monthly subscription fee which seems dumb. Idk why anyone would pay for that especially since Matt Taven isn’t even there.

This is what Marquez did with Prime Time Live. I was happy to buy those, but I have no interest in the NWA product, even when I had friends that worked there and it was free. I watched the first couple of PPVs when they came back, then I watched Powerrrrrrrrr for a couple months, but didn't care much for it after that. I'll skip these.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
How much is the subscription going to be?

I would TNA when they did the weekly PPV thing once in a while, but if we're talking 10 bucks for an hour I doubt I'll purchase, and I'm a fan of the NWA.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Hopefully the NWA doesn't lose Aldis and Thunder Rosa because they might be all I still care about there TBH
Aldis has seemingly burned enough bridges that I don’t see where he can go. Rosa is entrenched in AEW now but I’d assume they let her work there since they have a good relationship and NWA put their belt on an AEW wrestler in Deeb.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Who in 2021 is going to see Tyrus on the card as a reason to buy?
Fans of "conservative 'humor'", um...his family maybe?

Oh god. I hope this isn't a sign that Corgan's going to sign more conservative wrestlers. Is this PPV going to open with Austin Aries debuting by going on a diatribe against cancel culture?

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Fans of "conservative 'humor'", um...his family maybe?

Oh god. I hope this isn't a sign that Corgan's going to sign more conservative wrestlers. Is this PPV going to open with Austin Aries debuting by going on a diatribe against cancel culture?
Aries can at least work although if he does go to the NWA I pray he never gets mic time. And loses to Sal Rinauro in like 12 seconds

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
afaik I'm guessing A Double is still a good worker. I really hope one day he's able to recognize that he blew a chance to make lots of money by being a galaxy brained ass but judging by his recent conduct, I really doubt that he has any sense of self awareness.