Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Billy Corgan buys the NWA..... WUT?

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So I missed this announcement last month and it was brought to my attention by Useless Moron Scott Keith's blog (no. I don't know why I still read that garbage) but NWA and Untied Wrestling Network (which promotes Championship Wrestling From Hollywood) are producing 90 minute weekly PPVs starting next Tuesday. It's $8 a show or $24 for a monthly bundle.

Market wasn't there when TNA did it 15+ years ago and it's even less existent now!

I still want this to succeed more than anything.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
So I missed this announcement last month and it was brought to my attention by Useless Moron Scott Keith's blog (no. I don't know why I still read that garbage) but NWA and Untied Wrestling Network (which promotes Championship Wrestling From Hollywood) are producing 90 minute weekly PPVs starting next Tuesday. It's $8 a show or $24 for a monthly bundle.

Market wasn't there when TNA did it 15+ years ago and it's even less existent now!

Shit, I order tons of stuff off of Fite, and they're going to be working with CWFH, which I love and a bunch of guys I know work there, but I have no interest in paying extra for this.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't order the new ppv last night, and it sounded like it was a rough first one from a standpoint of the live connection, felt like Ring of Honor ten years ago all over again, and the results didn't particularly sound endearing, although the last two matches seemed ok.

Did anyone end up watching this? I won't order until this potentially takes off more. Seems less NWA and more CWFH.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So I missed that first show as mentioned (although I found it online later and zipped through it) but ordered the second show last night, it was surprisingly on DirecTV last night so I gave it a shot. Ultimately, this is a 75 percent CWFH show in essense, but I do like the mix of some of the top tiered NWA talent and even them getting NJPW Dojo talent in here too. Aron Stevens is booking CWFH and as still an NWA talent, I would guess he's very hands on with this whole idea and probably is primarily booking this, with maybe some input from Marquez and Corgan.

The opening match and opening of the show was marred a bit again in technical issues. Sound kept going on and off, and then when they got to the first match, BOTH the spanish and english commentary was running concurrently. That finally went away about 3/4 through the first match, which was pretty good (Kevin Martinson vs Danny Limelight). Otherwise, production was fine and the sound stage they set up for this looked decent with a nice staging setup.

The rest of the show was nothing but straight in-ring, no promos much in between, etc. There was a Joe Galli piece from some spot show in Texas talking about Thunder Rosa's popularity, but that was really it.

The show does go fast at 90 minutes each week, so its an easy watch. They seem to have a formula of 4 or 5 matches a week, they all have decent time, particularly in the main event, which went 25 minutes between Thunder Rosa and Priscilla Kelly for the NWA women's championship. This match was REALLY good and easily one of the better women's matches I've seen this year.

While next weeks show doesn't look that great on paper (Trevor Murdoch vs Aron Stephens for the NWA NA championship is the main) I might occasionally order these shows if they have a strong lineup.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I really liked last night's show. I'm friends with a few people that were on it (Danny Limelight, The Bonu$ Boyz/Real Money Brothers). I can't wait to see what they have in store for Chris Dickinson, and I hope it's him winning the NWA title.

Slice Booige vs Karl Fredericks was really solid. I liked that one a lot.

The main event of Priscilla Kelly vs Thunder Rosa might be the best match I've seen this week, and will echo the idea of it being the best women's match of the year. It was really tremendous.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
The ending seemed a bit rushed out of nowhere though on the main, did you notice that at all? Like the ref was talking heavy to them, then both gals were in deep discussion laying there, and then they went to the finish.....that was my only qualm with it, but maybe he was just simply giving them time cues and these two were kinda working on the fly a bit, I don't know? That said, a hell of a match.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
The ending seemed a bit rushed out of nowhere though on the main, did you notice that at all? Like the ref was talking heavy to them, then both gals were in deep discussion laying there, and then they went to the finish.....that was my only qualm with it, but maybe he was just simply giving them time cues and these two were kinda working on the fly a bit, I don't know? That said, a hell of a match.

I did notice something, but like you, wasn't sure about it. It was funny, at 10pm when the match started I thought it was supposed to be 90 minutes and thought that the match would only be 15 minutes, so where are they filling the rest of the time? I look at the clock again, and it's 10:20 and they're still going. I didn't feel long at all, which is a great thing for a match. It was all action, but they didn't just go all out killing each other 3 minutes in. The pace was great.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I loved Pope in TNA as much as the next person but even I know he's over the hill as a competitor.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
How was the show last night? Saw they are starting that tournament next week which looks solid on paper.

I liked it. The Mike Bennett vs JR Kratos match was very, very good. Had another really good women's match, too.

My buddies Bonu$ Boyz are back next week against The Bodega (my other buddy Danny Limelight), so I'm stoked to see that.

The tournament is pretty great. I'm surprised to see a lot of the names they were able to bring in.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Thunder Rosa dropped the NWA Women's Title to Serena Deeb tonight. Does this mean Rosa is signing exclusively with AEW now? We shall see!!

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Deeb is with AEW too though. If anything, I think it would signal Rosa going to WWE. Honestly, that would make the most sense since they have women for her to work with. AEW's women's division is a shit show.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I mean, you can't blame her. I'm not a WWE guy at all. But, if you have the option to go to WWE and possibly work with Bayley, Sasha, Charlotte and Becky (assuming she comes back), and possibly work a main or semi main at Mania or work for AEW with Shida, Nyla, Penelope and Swole. What are you picking?

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I mean, you can't blame her. I'm not a WWE guy at all. But, if you have the option to go to WWE and possibly work with Bayley, Sasha, Charlotte and Becky (assuming she comes back), and possibly work a main or semi main at Mania or work for AEW with Shida, Nyla, Penelope and Swole. What are you picking?

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Corgan is saying that Rosa is signed through 2021.
Begs the question though, why in the world did Rosa even job out to Deeb in the first place if she was still signed through til next year?

She's been arguably the top women's performer of this year, at least through the covid months. She was over, getting the NWA brand over in the process, and the women's title.

So they then flip the belt off to someone who I thought I read signed with AEW recently? Other than an attempt to further continue Corgan wanting to work with Khan in any way, shape or form, I just don't get the move. Especially when someone just recently gets a contract with one company, they then immediately get a belt from another one?

Plus, they obviously had planned out idea to get the title off her since Dynamite taped last Thursday for this past Weds show, and Deeb was working this match before she won the title on Tuesday. So plans were set in motion on this at least a week ago.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Begs the question though, why in the world did Rosa even job out to Deeb in the first place if she was still signed through til next year?

She's been arguably the top women's performer of this year, at least through the covid months. She was over, getting the NWA brand over in the process, and the women's title.

So they then flip the belt off to someone who I thought I read signed with AEW recently? Other than an attempt to further continue Corgan wanting to work with Khan in any way, shape or form, I just don't get the move. Especially when someone just recently gets a contract with one company, they then immediately get a belt from another one?

Plus, they obviously had planned out idea to get the title off her since Dynamite taped last Thursday for this past Weds show, and Deeb was working this match before she won the title on Tuesday. So plans were set in motion on this at least a week ago.

A few weeks back Rosa and Priscilla Kelly had a possible women's MOTY contender. It was talked about for maybe the rest of the night and then forgotten about. We're still talking about Rosa dropping the title days later. Her reign was very good for the NWA, but this is the most anyone has talked about them, or the title, in a while. If she retained against Deeb, we'd just be talking about her having another very good match for maybe a day.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Very true, makes me wonder if they will just flip it back on Rosa soonish here.

I still, more than anything, feel this was just a deal put together by Corgan and Khan on a short term to not only get more eyes on AEW, but PrimeTime Live as well. It certainly worked on one level as I am kicking myself for missing the show Tuesday and plan on ordering it next Tuesday instead of sitting through political mumbojumbo.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is under the assumption that Corgan is telling the truth and that he has a contract that any sort of legal standing...which are two enormous ifs

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Does Corgan have a reputation for not being g great at the legal stuff? I always thought he was considered pretty wise at that sort of thing because of all the shit the Pumpkins went through.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I could also see Billy using it as leverage. I could see him saying, "aew, you want Rosa free? Give me Cody for a big show.". VKM Sr. used to do that when he would take a guy from a territory. He'd give them Andre for a show.

WWE obviously wouldn't be game for that.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
What are you talking about? WWE took Ric Flair from Impact for the Horseman HOF induction and in return gave them Christian! CHRISTIAN!!!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That wasn’t WWE’s choice, @Fall of Epic! They gave Impact the choice of any superstar besides Cena or The Rock to make an appearance at Slammiversary 2012 and Bruce Prichard and creative lobbied hard to have Undertaker make an appearance but Dixie picked Christian since he was a former TNA guy and they were good pals IRL.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
That wasn’t WWE’s choice, @Fall of Epic! They gave Impact the choice of any superstar besides Cena or The Rock to make an appearance at Slammiversary 2012 and Bruce Prichard and creative lobbied hard to have Undertaker make an appearance but Dixie picked Christian since he was a former TNA guy and they were good pals IRL.
I can't believe VKM actually would've allowed Undertaker to appear in TNA. He wouldn't even let him do Starrcast.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah maybe not but TNA definitely could have picked someone way better than Christian (who I am a fan of but was IC Title level at time)