Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bitch about something: Tech edition!

Reaction score
I bought a 1TB SATA hard drive online for only about $55 and I was happy about it... UNTIL I get it and open it only to find that they did not include any cables with it. They also did not mention that in the product description either. So now I have to buy a SATA 2 data cable from Monoprice and wait the week it takes to ship. Not cool, not cool.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
My PS3 was freezing up on NHL11 lately, and I'm just like "fucking EA" and all that.

However, just yesterday, my PS3 froze while I was playing Ar tonelico and I'm like "aw fucking Sony" now. Hopefully its not dying.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I know a dude who bought a couple of 4X6 door speakers for his car from a flea market/auction. Got home, opened the box and then had to decide if he wanted to install two red bricks into his car doors.

When I was a kid my dad bought an Eric Clapton cassette tape from the same flea market, got home and went to play side B, and the first 30 seconds was a random spanish song.....haha. Nice dubbed pirated tape! It was $3 though, so he laughed about it more than anything.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
I bought a 1TB SATA hard drive online for only about $55 and I was happy about it... UNTIL I get it and open it only to find that they did not include any cables with it. They also did not mention that in the product description either. So now I have to buy a SATA 2 data cable from Monoprice and wait the week it takes to ship. Not cool, not cool.

Did you buy it from Newegg? I don't think they ship drives with cables. They are just bare boned.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My best friend recently decided to get a video game system. He'd talk to people who owned an Xbox, all who would tell him that they'd been forced to buy at least three systems due to the way they used to be made. "Don't trust Microsoft" would be the oft-repeated mantra. Literally everyone he asked told him to get a PS3 so he'd have a BluRay player, free online gaming, dependable hardware, and whatever other stuff people say PS3 does better than Xbox. So after weeks of all this video game console I got tired of hearing, he went out and bought a 360. His only response to anyone's point in debating the matter was "The controller is better" (I've never seen him play a PS3 in my life and he had a PS2 in high school). Well, the controller it came with is already having button sticking issues, and he's sunk about eighty bucks into getting Xbox Live running. The only thing we've used it for, other than downloading demos and buying Altered Beast, is downloading wrestlers for Smackdown vs Raw, which I guess would have been free on PS3. Anytime someone points this out to him, all he says is "Well, the controller fits in my hands better."

I don't really care what he does with his money, but I'm just so sick of hearing this.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I played one Xbox game in my life, and it was the first madden xbox game on display at a game store in the mall.

I pressed the equivalent of the Y button on a Super Nintendo controller, and the QB threw the ball on the opposite end of the screen.

Probably not the most researched decision in my life, but I said fuck xbox on that day, and it has stuck.

Reaction score
Master Thrasher said:
Jaxxxson Mayhem said:

Did you buy it from Newegg? I don't think they ship drives with cables. They are just bare boned.

Nah, got it from Superbiiz.com. They shipped it in a blister pack with just the hard drive and 4 mounting screws.

Ripper

I'll make your ass sense.
Reaction score
Mattdotcom said:
My best friend recently decided to get a video game system. He'd talk to people who owned an Xbox, all who would tell him that they'd been forced to buy at least three systems due to the way they used to be made. "Don't trust Microsoft" would be the oft-repeated mantra. Literally everyone he asked told him to get a PS3 so he'd have a BluRay player, free online gaming, dependable hardware, and whatever other stuff people say PS3 does better than Xbox. So after weeks of all this video game console I got tired of hearing, he went out and bought a 360. His only response to anyone's point in debating the matter was "The controller is better" (I've never seen him play a PS3 in my life and he had a PS2 in high school). Well, the controller it came with is already having BUTTon sticking issues, and he's sunk about eighty bucks into getting Xbox Live running. The only thing we've used it for, other than downloading demos and buying Altered Beast, is downloading wrestlers for Smackdown vs Raw, which I guess would have been free on PS3. Anytime someone points this out to him, all he says is "Well, the controller fits in my hands better."

I don't really care what he does with his money, but I'm just so sick of hearing this.

Don't you think thats a pretty solid reason to go with a one console over another? I mean, one could argue that the 360's online gaming is much better, that their newer consoles are just as dependable as the PS3's a bigger gaming library, multi release games tend to rate better on the 360, all that, but at the end of the day, if you don't like the controller, why sink all that money into a console when there is a comparible system with a controller you actually like available?

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
Ripper said:
Mattdotcom said:
My best friend recently decided to get a video game system. He'd talk to people who owned an Xbox, all who would tell him that they'd been forced to buy at least three systems due to the way they used to be made. "Don't trust Microsoft" would be the oft-repeated mantra. Literally everyone he asked told him to get a PS3 so he'd have a BluRay player, free online gaming, dependable hardware, and whatever other stuff people say PS3 does better than Xbox. So after weeks of all this video game console I got tired of hearing, he went out and bought a 360. His only response to anyone's point in debating the matter was "The controller is better" (I've never seen him play a PS3 in my life and he had a PS2 in high school). Well, the controller it came with is already having BUTTon sticking issues, and he's sunk about eighty bucks into getting Xbox Live running. The only thing we've used it for, other than downloading demos and buying Altered Beast, is downloading wrestlers for Smackdown vs Raw, which I guess would have been free on PS3. Anytime someone points this out to him, all he says is "Well, the controller fits in my hands better."

Don't you think thats a pretty solid reason to go with a one console over another? I mean, one could argue that the 360's online gaming is much better, that their newer consoles are just as dependable as the PS3's a bigger gaming library, multi release games tend to rate better on the 360, all that, but at the end of the day, if you don't like the controller, why sink all that money into a console when there is a comparible system with a controller you actually like available?

He obviously didn't play a football game for three minutes and make his decision based on that.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I agree about the controller. I have a hard time going back to the Playstation controller after using the Xbox one. It isn't the main reason I prefer the 360...but it is one.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
the max said:
Ripper said:
Mattdotcom said:

He obviously didn't play a football game for three minutes and make his decision based on that.

YEAH!

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's not him getting an Xbox that pissed me off. It's him constantly (and I mean CONSTANTLY) making the controller thing a talking point.

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The reason that The Sims 3 no longer works on the deskstop is because the new updates change the video card requirements to the game, leaving me with black faced sims. So I would to reinstall and not update at all to make it work. Fuckin' EA.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it one of those things you can fix by updating your video card drivers? Or does it actually make the game require a better video card? Because if it's the latter that's a pretty shitty move by EA.

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The computer automatically downloads new drivers (iMac). That's pretty cool and everything. Tech support pretty much out right and said that the new updates were made for better video cards and that people have had problems with updates screwing up their entire game. I'm thinking if I can bitch and moan enough to get at least a refund on the expansion that I bought.

I really wish that I could just download a driver, though.

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
I just got hit with Win 7 Antivirus 2011 at work.

I removed it myself by hand, LIKE A BOSS.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, I'm getting married in 6 months time, and every extra dollar I have is going into the wedding, so of course my PC would start to die. Getting 2-3 blue screens per day. Nothing showing in the Windows event viewer, so I'd have to go trial and error to determine which hardware component is failing. I might just go to Best Buy and buy a laptop with the 18 months, no interest, no payments deal.

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
A Happy Medium said:
How did you tame and ultimately slaughter the beast?

Went into the registry and ripped every malicious entry out by hand, and stopped malicious processes until Firefox would launch correctly. (The .exe was getting hijacked, I'll explain exactly how that was if anyone cares, but it's a long story and it's nine in the fucking morning) MalwareBytes was installed, and took care of the invisible files that I couldn't get to.

Goddamn thing deleted Microsoft Security Essentials, though. Impressive. Reinstalled it. I've turned UAC back on on my PC. The inconvenience is worth it after this shit.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AntiLeaf33 said:
So, I'm getting married in 6 months time, and every extra dollar I have is going into the wedding, so of course my PC would start to die. Getting 2-3 blue screens per day. Nothing showing in the Windows event viewer, so I'd have to go trial and error to determine which hardware component is failing. I might just go to Best Buy and buy a laptop with the 18 months, no interest, no payments deal.
Buying a laptop on finance, especially a Windows one, is about the dumbest thing anyone can do. Get yourself a cheap netbook or desktop if you absolutely need something right away (or just back-up any important data and reformat/reinstall Windows since it sounds like you might be having some sort of issue with the Windows install) and save up for whatever laptop it is you want and buy it then. Usually these sorts of finance deals work out that your computer will be obsolete by the time you pay it off.

My windows install is fucked up as well but I was able to install Ubuntu on it and grab my data there and between that and my computer at work (which I can remote into if I really need to do something on Windows) I'm okay for now while I save up for thwe $2000 Macbook Pro with quad-core processor, 8GB of RAM, a 1GB ATI Video Card, and 128GB SSD *drool*

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm losing the ability to go back in Firefox. As in, back to the previous page.

Detox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mattdotcom said:

If you have Firefox 4, I am having the exact same problem. It seems like there is a serious memory leak in this build, I'm thinking of going back to 3.6.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vitamin X said:
AntiLeaf33 said:
Buying a laptop on finance, especially a Windows one, is about the dumbest thing anyone can do. Get yourself a cheap netbook or desktop if you absolutely need something right away (or just back-up any important data and reformat/reinstall Windows since it sounds like you might be having some sort of issue with the Windows install) and save up for whatever laptop it is you want and buy it then. Usually these sorts of finance deals work out that your computer will be obsolete by the time you pay it off.

My windows install is fucked up as well but I was able to install Ubuntu on it and grab my data there and between that and my computer at work (which I can remote into if I really need to do something on Windows) I'm okay for now while I save up for thwe $2000 Macbook Pro with quad-core processor, 8GB of RAM, a 1GB ATI Video Card, and 128GB SSD *drool*

Yeah, I have already isolated the issue with being a hardware failure, but I'm just now sure what part(s) are failing. Everything is already backed up. I will have the money for said laptop in October, so I can have is paid off, just all my spare cash is going into paying off the damn wedding. That's my only logic with getting it on credit. Pay it off before the interest kicks in.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
How is the speed on those netbooks? I'm planning on getting an Asus one for net surfing and backing up my stuff on ITunes, not as much for gaming. It just seems like 1 GB of RAM to run Windows 7 is awfully small. I guess I can buy more memory if I need to since the netbook is only $250 and memory is cheap.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Detox said:
Mattdotcom said:

If you have Firefox 4, I am having the exact same problem. It seems like there is a serious memory leak in this build, I'm thinking of going back to 3.6.
Odd I'm not having this problem. However Adblock completely blocks out MLB.com's Gameday.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
I have been setting up to getting my 10,000 XBL achievement score. I was playing the X-Men arcade game and stopped when I was at 9960. I had planned out, pop in Skate3, do two relatively easy non-gameplay things, get my 10,000.

Instead, Skate3 signs on and gives me an achievement for "Achieved Community Sales Goal" which is worth 50 POINTS. FFFFFFUUUUUUU.

It's an OCD thing, sure. And it's not that important really. Just annoying.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Embarrasser! said:
How is the speed on those netbooks? I'm planning on getting an Asus one for net surfing and backing up my stuff on ITunes, not as much for gaming. It just seems like 1 GB of RAM to run Windows 7 is awfully small. I guess I can buy more memory if I need to since the netbook is only $250 and memory is cheap.
I wouldn't recommend it for backing stuff up since most come with smaller hard drives.. an NAS (network attached storage, google/amazon/newegg it) solution would be better for that but I have a small netbook I use for web surfing that is actually not for sale (okay I'll brag, it's the Google-made CR-48 which was only distributed to 5,000 people or whatever, but point remains!) and I love to use it. In an ideal world though, I'd be much better off with a tablet like the Xoom or an iPad if I just wanted to do some web surfing with it.

Windows 7, by the way, is the most efficient version of the OS they've ever made. It actually doesn't do too bad on just 1GB. Hell, a 32-bit OS only lets you go up to 3.5GB max so you won't notice any speed difference unless you had 64-bit Windows or MacOSX adding on any more memory, so 1GB is perfectly fine, I'd say. 2GB is even better, especially if all you're doing is web surfing.
AnonymousBroccoli said:
Do netbooks usually come with any extra SODIMM slots for more RAM?
Not extra, but most are a little upgradeable.

Again, for most people thinking about netbooks, I'd strongly recommend getting a tablet or a full out laptop instead. Netbooks are okay, but they're sort of in a weird zone between those other two. They make nettops now, too.

Ripper

I'll make your ass sense.
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could possibly recommend a Tablet over a Net book. Its a full os, at half the price and better specs and speed than any tablet out there.

Tablets are cool for random surfing and maybe reading a book, true, but the cheapest GOOD one you will find is around 400 bucks.

Netbooks at 199 are clearly a better buy at half the price.