Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bitch about something: Tech edition!

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
yeah but the $199 netbooks are worse than any $400 tablet you can get. A full os with only the minimum required specs is not faster than a tablet which has a customized OS (well, iOS or Android, but the point remains), especially the ones you see for $199. The best you can do with one of those- keeping in mind, again, that the ones you find for $199 are most likely 8" screens or below which is at minimum the smallest tablets you'll find out there- with the specs they have is doing web surfing, reading a book, etc... and you'll get much better battery life from a tablet as well.
Ripper said:
Netbooks at 199 are clearly a better buy at half the price.
I'm willing to hear out an argument for this, though. Show me the models and specs that prove it.

Ripper

I'll make your ass sense.
Reaction score
Acer Aspire One AOD255-2256
10.1 inch screen 1024x600 resolution
Ram: 1gb
Hardrive: 160 gb
3 USB 2.0 slots
1.66 ghz processor

I think without saying that Apple has the best tablet available (although the Xoom might be, its like 700 bucks so thats out of the range here)

Ipad (I am going original because this is the the cheapest at 399.99)
9.7 screen 1024x720 resolution
Ram: 256mb
Hardrive: 32GB
no external storage slots
1Ghz processor

Battery life, the Ipad wins HANDS DOWN with 8-10 hours the 3-4 hours of the netbook.
But speed wise, the netbook can do more. My girlfriend has one and I have installed and use photoshop just fine on it. Its not a powerful beast by any means, but it will get the job done.

Web surfing , more video codec support, flash support, external storage, more storage space, the net book wins.

HOWEVER

If you need to present anything to anyone else, I can't lie, the Ipad is a great tool. If you are a photographer, make movies, hell, just music, it is a elegant way to display your work, plus its really convienant. Plus reading things like comic books, it clearly is superior. But I think for most general use, the having a keyboard trumps a great looking device at twice the price. I wouldn't pay more than 199.99 for a netbook though. Anything past that, get a first gen IPAD.

Reaction score
Detox said:
Mattdotcom said:
I'm losing the ability to go back in Firefox. As in, back to the previous page.

If you have Firefox 4, I am having the exact same problem. It seems like there is a serious memory leak in this build, I'm thinking of going back to 3.6.

Seriously. The new plugin container is RIDICULOUS. I was watching a movie using Flash and it had 2 plugin containers running. One was running about 750,000k and the other was 650,000k. Firefox itself was running just under 200,000k. It was INSANE. Just watching that one movie made me run over 1.5 gig of RAM.

Also, just installed a new power supply. A 600watt Corsair power supply. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Its taking too much time to unlock everything in the Streets of Rage Remake.

Reaction score
1zx9gx.jpg

This is ridiculous. The plugin containers are out of control.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Jesus how many plugins are running in the background? I checked mine just now and only 15MBs are being used.

Reaction score
Master Thrasher said:
Jesus how many plugins are running in the background? I checked mine just now and only 15MBs are being used.

Can't remember. It's gotten a little better. I'll see what it's currently doing. 146mb.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I were visiting a friend last weekend. His son wanted me to play Sonic the Hedgehog (360 port) for PS3 with him. I've heard stories about how bad his game is, but the stories dont do it justice. Sonic is so abysmally bad, from the broken controls to the shit camera, its nearly unplayable. How this made it past play testing is beyond me.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you make it to any of the incredibly creepy cut scenes? That game is like a furry's wet dream.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nymyzys said:
My girlfriend and I were visiting a friend last weekend. His son wanted me to play Sonic the Hedgehog (360 port) for PS3 with him. I've heard stories about how bad his game is, but the stories dont do it justice. Sonic is so abysmally bad, from the broken controls to the shit camera, its nearly unplayable. How this made it past play testing is beyond me.

Sega Logo

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Smues said:
Did you make it to any of the incredibly creepy cut scenes? That game is like a furry's wet dream.

Never made it to any of the extra creepy cutscenes that I've heard so much about. It just amazes me that something this bad saw retail release.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm usually good about safely ejecting a usb drive before removing. Probably 95% of the time. But int he 5% of the time where I don't I've still never had any problems. Well I'm likely to be doing it 100% of the time now, as a co-worker just pulled a drive out without doing the safely eject thing and when he put it back in the drive was empty. Poof. Lesson learned I guess.

I was able to recover about 99% of it with some recovery software, but a few of the files (of course the important ones) are fucked.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just took up Words with Friends on my Droid. So far I'm doing about as well as I expected; beating my coworkers, close games against family, and 2 games where I'm just getting thoroughly dominated either through luck or superior intellect by my opponent.

Well one of my long time friends and I just finished a match, which I beat him by 200 points or so. He bitched at me the other night about it but then laughed it off. We started a new game this morning. He went first. His first word, he used all 7 tiles for 53 points. I didn't freak out, boy got lucky with good tiles and an obscure word. I played a word. His second word, all 7 tiles again for another 50 or so points. At this point I'm a little miffed, but trying not to doubt my friend's new found word making skills.

His third word? He uses 6 of his 7 in hand tiles for another 50 points.

20 of his first 21 tiles he has played in 3 turns, and is up by a good 130 points on me....after losing by 200 yesterday.

Man I know people cheat on this shit, and I don't mind if you HAVE to cheat to beat me, but damn at least be a LITTLE discreet about it.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
the max said:
I have been setting up to getting my 10,000 XBL achievement score. I was playing the X-Men arcade game and stopped when I was at 9960. I had planned out, pop in Skate3, do two relatively easy non-gameplay things, get my 10,000.

Instead, Skate3 signs on and gives me an achievement for "Achieved Community Sales Goal" which is worth 50 POINTS. FFFFFFUUUUUUU.

It's an OCD thing, sure. And it's not that important really. Just annoying.

I'm in a similar boat; I can't complete UMK3, and I'm my score ends in 3. Awful. Gotta be 5 or 0.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
I have a Wordpress blog and I know some other posters on here have them. What irritates me is the amount of spam I get on it.

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
My Kindle app totally crashed and deleted my whole SD card. While I was reading a book. Now I get to redownload everything, yayness.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
My computer is doing this weird thing:
1. I boot it up and it goes past the BIOS but nothing loads. Restart the computer.
2. Step 1 + the Starting Windows screen pops up but hangs.
3. Step 1+ Boots normally.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I should probably clean the case and I have started to backup the most important things in case of a crash. Occasionally the computer will not boot if a USB drive is plugged in (iPod, card reader).

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TV Tropes: Archnemesis Dad said:
My best friend recently decided to get a video game system. He'd talk to people who owned an Xbox, all who would tell him that they'd been forced to buy at least three systems due to the way they used to be made. "Don't trust Microsoft" would be the oft-repeated mantra. Literally everyone he asked told him to get a PS3 so he'd have a BluRay player, free online gaming, dependable hardware, and whatever other stuff people say PS3 does better than Xbox. So after weeks of all this video game console I got tired of hearing, he went out and bought a 360. His only response to anyone's point in debating the matter was "The controller is better" (I've never seen him play a PS3 in my life and he had a PS2 in high school). Well, the controller it came with is already having button sticking issues, and he's sunk about eighty bucks into getting Xbox Live running. The only thing we've used it for, other than downloading demos and buying Altered Beast, is downloading wrestlers for Smackdown vs Raw, which I guess would have been free on PS3. Anytime someone points this out to him, all he says is "Well, the controller fits in my hands better."

I don't really care what he does with his money, but I'm just so sick of hearing this.

You can't DL characters using an X-Box Live Silver? I don't play online games so the Silver membership pretty much accomplishes everything I need. I'm a happy 360 owner and see no reason to ever buy a PS3 since I have limited time to play games and one system and one game at a time is all I have time for.

But man I remember the high school and college days when I was running with an X-Box, PS2 and Gamecube all at the same time and playing multiple games at a time. If I still had that kind of time (and lack of life) I'd have a PS3 in addition to my 360 and Wii. As it is now my Wii collects a lot of dust. I haven't been on the virtual console in over a year.

And as far as bitching about something. Nintendo. Fuck you Nintendo. I get duped by every one of your systems after the awesome SNES. But aside from Mario and Zelda my N64, GC and Wii just say around collecting dust while I had a blast on my PS1, PS2, X-Box and X-Box 360. I will not make that mistake and buy another Nintendo system unless I just hear absolutely rave reviews from people that I know play the same games as me.

And speaking of friends. I have a friend that graduated college at the same time as me. He has a degree and he doesn't use it. He's lazy as hell and lives off his dad who allows him to. He's 28 years old and works at a car wash and lives with his dad. The reason I'm bitching is because he has every game system and that's pretty much all he ever does all day. I'd say I'm kind of jealous but I honestly think having a career, owning a home and raising a child is more fufilling than that.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nintendo never really masked their intentions with the Wii system...everyone knew what it would be right from the start. I think Nintendo made mistakes with the N64 and Gamecube, but they had a clear and precise vision and direction (well, for the most part) with what they were going for with the Wii. If you bought it expecting something that rivals the PS3 or 360, that's on you.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Black Lushus said:
Nintendo never really masked their intentions with the Wii system...everyone knew what it would be right from the start. I think Nintendo made mistakes with the N64 and Gamecube, but they had a clear and precise vision and direction (well, for the most part) with what they were going for with the Wii. If you bought it expecting something that rivals the PS3 or 360, that's on you.

I wasn't, but I guess I was still expecting more than what I got. And I still have sour grapes over the N64 and GC that cloud my vision. So yeah I accept some of the blame.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well I think there have been a ton of good game IDEAS out there in the Wii's current library, there's just been some pretty piss poor execution on those ideas. Take launch title Red Steel for example...it's not a terrible game, but it really should have been a Killer Ap and it just falls terrible terribly short.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was having fun with Mass Effect 2 until my roommate informed me that there were a few fun extra missions and extra characters that I could get....but I had to pay for them. WTF? I miss the days when I was rewarded with this stuff by actually playing the game well and finding the secrets to unlock. Now you pay nearly 60 bucks for a game then they rack you up for another $20 or however much it comes out to in extras.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
WAHHHHHHHHH! VIDEO GAME COMPANIES CHARGE FOR DLC. MY CUNT HURTS!!!!

It's a fact of life now. Get used to it or stop playing games.

Staff member
Reaction score
They're also really good, I bought them and don't regret it. Plus do you really want to wait a few more months for them to make the content so that it's ready on the release date? I don't and they don't want to wait either. If not for DLC they wouldn't have that content in the game at all. It's just a few bucks for multiple hours of content, that's extremely cheap. There's also no way this is ever going to stop.

It's like, if you like a game, buy the extras if they sound good. If you don't like a game then don't.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
DLC doesn't bother me much. It's when they purposefully leave stuff out as "Exclusive Pre-order bonuses" and force you to pick a retailer. I shouldn't have to choose where I want to buy a game for any other reason than if they have it on sale or are offering a gift card with purchase.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My PS3 crashed the other day. I got 3 1/2 years out of it. Same as I got out of my PS2.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
When DLC is shit that TRULY should have been in the game from the start, like some basic modes in a fighting game (or the ability to change the fucking color of your fighters outfit, not a new outfit, a pallet swap, eat my ass Capcom) or something that's already on the disc and all you are d/ling is an unlock code (again, eat my ass Capcom) then yeah fuck them. But there's lots of DLC that I have no problem with because it's something that adds value to the game, and in most cases was created after the game itself was released. Back in 'da day' once a game went out there was no way to add to it (console gaming anyway). If there had been you can bet there would have been DLC.

And some of the whining you'll see about DLC is re-damn-diculous. I sent a youtube clip of Freddy Kruger in MK9 to a friend and he thought that was super awesome. Then when it was released I sent him another clip of the fatalities and stuff, and wow that's just the coolest thing ever. Then I bought the DLC, played around with it, and told him about playing with Freddy. 'God damn that is awesome.' Then I told him yeah it was totally worth the $5.

*RECORD SCRATCH*

WHAT THEY CHARGED FOR THAT WHAT FUCKING BULLSHIT. And then we had a big argument. Nothing I said could sway him from his THAT'S FUCKING BULLSHIT opinion. Here you had some DLC that was clearly adding something to the game, and presumably took actual effort from the company to produce, and was clearly something gamers wanted, but OH NOES IT COSTS MONEY WHAT A RIPOFF.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My XBL account got hacked and 8000 points added to it.

Luckily i got it all reported before the offender used them, but i had to recover my gamertag after the fraud guys blocked the accounts ability to use XBL for buying stuff.

In the process i accidently deleted all my game saves.

FML.