Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bitch about something: Tech edition!

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the extra levels and stuff sucks, but I can understand why it was done that way.

I'm referring more to the stuff like what Smues is talking about. Different colored outfits, special weapons, stuff that was already in the game, pre-order unlocks, etc. Stuff that in the old days was already in a game and you unlocked it by doing something special or having some skill.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I had typed up a whole rant about how most of the big 3D Blu-ray releases are still exclusives that require purchase of a specific TV, only to go and read that this week How to Train Your Dragon, MegaMind, and Monsters vs Aliens 3D (fucking FINALLY) all went general purchase. So that's a step in the right direction, but it's still ridiculous that they're trying to convince people that having 3D at home is a good idea, but cripple their ability to buy the movies they actually want. Christ, Monsters vs Aliens has been out in 3D for like 18 months now and it's just finally available without having to buy a specific TV. Avatar, THE to use to get people to use 3D, is still Sony Exclusive. Luckily for me I don't give a shit about Avatar, but it's still ridiculous. Get your collective heads out of your collective asses big movie studios.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ViciousFish said:
Damaramu said:
WAHHHHHHHHH! VIDEO GAME COMPANIES CHARGE FOR DLC. MY CUNT HURTS!!!!

It's a fact of life now. Get used to it or stop playing games.

I thought this was a thread to bich about something? Or is it bitch about something if I like you and if I don't I'm going to be a dick about it?

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hate to be in the same boat as Dama but.....yeah, I fuckin hate DLC as well. I get that there are a few cases where it's actually fully fleshed out and worth the money, but most of the time it feels like a way to squeeze extra money out of the consumers because either A) fuck you we can or B) we were forced to push this shit out the door and couldn't actually finish the game.

I've never bought a single piece of DLC, and I don't ever plan on it. I was REALLY close to buying the DLC for Enslaved though, until I went online and saw that it plays completely differently

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Playing Wordfeud (better than that buggy Words with Friends app), and on the first turn I have the letters to spell "Jihad." I get 180 points. My opponent just happened to have the name "lil lebanese lady." She immediately quit.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thursday night my dumbass left a glass of water on the table next to my macbook pro. When I returned from my trip that evening the glass was laying across my keyboard. Following various tech site advisements, I've had the thing open, upside down, over a towel, periodically having a hair dryer on it.

It still won't turn on. Thankfully I did sign up for protection through 2013, but I'm not sure if it covers a glass of water dumping on the keyboard. I won't be able to get to a mac store until Thursday of this week, so hopefully if it IS fried, all the water is dried up and I can BS them and say it stopped working?

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
They have moisture sensors that, once they get tripped, don't change back to normal.

You'll probably have to pay them to fix it.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
My PS3 keeps locking up when I'm playing it and corrupting my files. Any one know how I can stop that?

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
My Xbox froze in the middle of my Bejeweled 2 game and it put me at the first level again. That's the last time I play that game.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kitty decided the mac book pro needed a bath while I was at a friend's house. Serves me right for leaving a glass of water near a computer and expecting him to NOT get on the table like he's been trained (he gets on a table/counter he is sprayed with a squirt bottle of water). Anyway after several days of following various drying instructions I've decided it's bricked. Checked the serial # and I DID get the 3 year warranty.

Going to Mac store tomorrow, HOPEFULLY this warranty covers water damage.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I started noticing that, outside of YouTube videos, I wasn't able to watch anything that depended on Flash to play*, so I went to my Add-Ons menu and, sure enough, it needed to be upgraded. I started downloading the new version, and when 27% of it had downloaded, it stopped and told me to exit out of Firefox. So I did, but it never recognized that I had and refused to continue to download. After this happened two or three times, I downloaded the upgrade through Internet Explorer and went back to Firefox. It still showed Flash as out of date. I actually got the upgrade to work this time, and when I reopened Firefox, I couldn't get a video to play. I checked the Add-Ons menu and saw that Firefox had "disabled your outdated version of Flash" for my own protection. So I said "Fuck it" and went and downloaded Google Chrome. Once I tried to start it, I was alerted that there was something wrong with my profile (?) and the only thing it would pull up was a black box.

*Hulu will play its commercials but not its content.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Did you try download the new version of flash manually via the adobe website? I have had to do that at random times due to the browser "update agent" being sort of wonky.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yep. Everything's working fine on Internet Explorer, too. It's just Firefox.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
Kitty decided the mac book pro needed a bath while I was at a friend's house. Serves me right for leaving a glass of water near a computer and expecting him to NOT get on the table like he's been trained (he gets on a table/counter he is sprayed with a squirt bottle of water). Anyway after several days of following various drying instructions I've decided it's bricked. Checked the serial # and I DID get the 3 year warranty.

Going to Mac store tomorrow, HOPEFULLY this warranty covers water damage.
Hooray for the "you're an idiot" credit. Warranty did NOT cover warranty damage but, according to Rob the Genius, "since you had to drive 2 hours and are inconvenienced, Apple would like to extend to you a one time free repair." This was after a very polite lecture on water = bad for computers and that NEXT time it'll cost me $700 or so.

So now I wait. Until then I'm on borrowed laptops.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Do the genius bar employees wear caps, gowns, and read poetry off a metal scroll? Complete failure if not.

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
Amazon revealed their new tablet. 8 GB, $250. Comes with a suite of Amazon apps. Which is important, I guess, because you cannot download any apps to this tablet.

Other news, there's a touchscreen kindle at $100 (with ads), and the regular kindle is down to $80 (with ads)

Ripper

I'll make your ass sense.
Reaction score
Thoth said:
Amazon revealed their new tablet. 8 GB, $250. Comes with a suite of Amazon apps. Which is important, I guess, because you cannot download any apps to this tablet.

Other news, there's a touchscreen kindle at $100 (with ads), and the regular kindle is down to $80 (with ads)

What? its $199, and who said you can't download apps?

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an Android tablet (though basically stripped down and redone specifically for the Kindle) and will have obvious access to the Amazon Android app store. Anything that is on there will be available for purchase and download. The eight hour battery life is a little sketchy, until I realized that at least for me I would probably never need it for longer than that at one time (and it only take four hours to recharge).

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I have complete faith the Kindle Fire will be rooted and running custom firmware within months, maybe weeks. I might just wait until that happens before I spend my money, though.

Reaction score
tekcop said:
I have complete faith the Kindle Fire will be rooted and running custom firmware within months, maybe weeks. I might just wait until that happens before I spend my money, though.

That's what I thought about my HP Touchpad but I'm still waiting on that.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm apparently getting forgetful as reading through this thread I posed TWICE about the mac getting water on it.

And none of you called me out on it. We're all slipping.

Mazto

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is Gamefly always terribly slow at getting games out? I put the damn things in the mail last SUNDAY, figuring okay it goes out Monday, they get it Tuesday, I should have the games at least by Thursday. I still haven't gotten them and it's been a week.

If this keeps up there's no reason for me to keep it, since I paid a week with no games.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Mazto said:
Is Gamefly always terribly slow at getting games out? I put the damn things in the mail last SUNDAY, figuring okay it goes out Monday, they get it Tuesday, I should have the games at least by Thursday. I still haven't gotten them and it's been a week.

If this keeps up there's no reason for me to keep it, since I paid a week with no games.

I've had terrible experiences with Gamefly. I got it a few years back but quit when I realized I was only getting the old junk and never the newer stuff, plus I had a bunch of my own games I hadn't gotten around to playing. That was a disappointment but a no hard feelings kind of quit.

Last year, I was thinking of getting it again. My friend had his subscription for a while and said the trick to getting newer games was leaving only about a dozen games in your queue. I did this and after a week of signing up, never even had a game ship. When I contacted customer service to ask what was going on, they told me I needed to pick less popular games if I wanted to get something. When they finally were sending games, it was ridiculously slow, much moreso than before and I was only one state away from the center. Needless to say, I quit as soon as that month was up. I had issues with theur used game sales at the same time too and tried to write a complaint letter but e-mail routed into nobodies and every physical address letter I wrote came back Return to Sender.

My friend that had good luck for a while just quit recently. Along with the speed and quality of games he was getting, there had been a problem where his games were disappearing after he mailed them. It was something screwy too like they'd go missing after Gamefly knew he sent them back but they were still threatening to shut down his account.

Mazto

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hmmm, then screw that then.

The dumb thing is I went with older games on purpose to avoid the delay shit. I think I'll just cancel my account then since Hollywood reopened in town, I'll just get games there.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
What my friend who ended up quitting Gamefly and I both did recently is Blockbuster has a 1 item pass (you can take movie or game whereas before the passes were either just for movies or just for games) for $14.99 a month. I figured to do it during big game season. When I signed up in store they were actually doing a special first month for $7.50. I haven't gotten great use of it so far, the selection hasn't been amazing but its cheap enough and Blockbuster gets some of the movies that Netflix has a wait period on.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
benis dotcon said:
I just thought you couldn't keep your pussy in line.
No she dodges the pimp hand, and the cat likes to hide under the sofa when I'm bitching at him. (just make sure I covered both "pussies")