Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

blurred lines

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.vevo.com/watch/robin-thicke/blurred-lines-unrated-version/USUV71300526

welp

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1) missed opportunity: not putting an e at the end of "dick"
2) Underrated amidst all the dance-boobs: Pharrell's Cosby-moves

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
So I finally heard this song:

- It sucks
- Why am I the only one that realized it was a blatant rip-off of Marvin Gaye’s “Got to give it up”? Similar tempo and changes in rhythm from verse to chorus, very similar bass line and distant ‘cowbell’ sounding beat pops up in the background, etc. We have a bunch of smart audiophiles here, how come nobody else picked up on th--

*realizes Marvin Gaye is black and not a rapper*

Oh wait, that makes sense then.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Wait, just checked the wiki:

"Blurred Lines" was produced by Thicke and Williams with an intention of creating a sound similar to Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give It Up". The song was completed in almost an hour

Haha did I say blatant? I meant BLATANT

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I heard it for the first time last week but didn’t know it was Blurred Lines. When I heard it I immediately was like “wtf is this Marvin Gaye ripoff”. I didn’t realize it was Blurred Lines till today.

I’m good at avoiding this cookie-cutter crap in general. I can’t believe how many of the elite TRTSM music listeners like this shit, y’all are slippin’.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vince McVirtue said:
So I finally heard this song:
- Why am I the only one that realized it was a blatant rip-off of Marvin Gaye’s “Got to give it up”?
You and everybody I know over the age of 30 (except Inc, apparently)

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Incandenza said:
Alan Thicke, however....

But he's the greatest Canadian actor, so....I'm not saying he should make a habit of it, but I'll look the other way once or twice.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
This song plays a hundred times a day on the radio at work. I was 100% sure one of the lines mentioned Shane Battier, but a google check of the lyrics reveals that to not even be close to right. The song was cooler when I thought they said Shane Battier.

tonyjaymz03

Kinsey
Reaction score
http://prettymuchamazing.com/music/vampire-weekend-blurred-lines-cover

Vampire Weekend did a p. sweet cover

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
YPOV said:
Why am I the only one that realized it was a blatant rip-off of Marvin Gaye’s “Got to give it up”?

http://variety.com/2015/music/news/blurred-lines-verdict-pharrell-robin-thicke-ordered-to-pay-7-3-million-to-marvin-gaye-family-1201450117/

i fuckin KNEW it

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
haha yeah, that's what I was saying bro. It's not like the post after the one I quoted showed that I saw it was in Wiki long before I heard the song ::)

Anyway, I'm glad these guys had to pay up. The Marvin Gaye Estate deserves that money.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
YPOV said:
- Why am I the only one that realized it was a blatant rip-off of Marvin Gaye’s “Got to give it up”?

This is your "Theory of Relativity" moment.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I was speaking to posters on the board with that line because it didn't seem like anyone here caught it, read the original post. In the next post, it was made clear that I saw it in Wiki and realized it was a well-known thing before I had even heard the song.

I don't know how much clearer I can make all that, it feels like I'm talking to Jingus.