Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

blurred lines

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Obviously this song is a blatant ripoff, but this is kind of a weird judgment because the percussion and the vocal performance (the most derivative parts of "Blurred Lines") are not copyrightable elements and from what I've read the jury wasn't even allowed to hear the original "Got to Give it Up" in court. So we're supposed to believe that a bunch of people who had never heard either song before, and weren't even allowed to hear the infringed song, decided that the chord progression and melody of the two songs, based on the sheet music, were so similar as to constitute infringement, and I'm not sure that's the case. My heart says they made the correct decision, but my head feels like this isn't quite right.

MN0124423.gif
MN0065460.gif

CAN'T YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE

Also, I laughed at Nona Gaye crying while talking to the press like she was at a funeral. Jeez, you just made 7 million bucks from a rape anthem, smile a bit!

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't get how chord progression even matters here. You can't copyright a chord progression; there's only a finite number of them!

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I won't argue that the Gaye estate didn't deserve some compensation, but I really don't like the precedent this verdict may set.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
So was the ruling about ripping off a song, or more specifically about not following proper protocol (and paying royalties) when ripping off a song?

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/marvin-gaye-family-wants-blurred-782805

The Gaye family are a bunch of shitheads.

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watch them go after Weird Al next too.

"Tries to explain parody protection to the Gaye estate"

"ME NO LIKEE! MONEY MONEY MONEY!"

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
The more time has gone on, the more it has strengthened my belief that the Gaye estate didn't deserve to get paid for this song, Thicke's shitty behavior aside. Ripoffs are the heart of pop music. And I feel the same way about most cases where performers had to cut in other artists with writing credits (Sam Smith/Tom Petty, Olivia Rodrigo/Paramore). However I am still glad the Stones gave k.d. lang a cut of "Anybody Seen My Baby" because they already have enough money.

Never liked this song tbh

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Amanda Palmer needs to fuck off and I've been saying that for 20 years.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

The Gayes are at it again. They probably have a better case this time (though the chord progression is very basic, the general sound is very similar; I'm not sure if that should count in a suit like this but it did for "Blurred Lines") but I'm gonna puke if they win again and his daughter sobs in front of the courthouse. Crazydaysandnights told me Marvin Gaye was a serial killer.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I just want bad things happening to Ed Sheeran.

Digging the world where Marvin Gaye is a serial killer and Freddie got the AIDS from Ernest.