Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Board and Tabletop Games

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know we had an old discussion for "essential board games" - but I figured I'd start fresh since that hasn't been used since 2011 and looked to be more focusing on standard stuff like Monopoly, etc.

I've been playing a lot of Arkham Horror & Elder Sign lately - both super fun.

Tonight I am playing the newer Buffy game, and I also picked up the just-released board game based on The Thing. :)

I also recently finished my first foray into D&D. Wasn't super into it, but I can why folks like it. I'd like to try a more sci-fi themed one next time.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
I started watching D&D played online recently and I'd love to give it a try.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I love Arkham Horror but the set up time can be brutal. I made the mistake once of playing with EVERY expansion. It was a super confusing, 12 hour ordeal that no one enjoyed.

Lately we've been playing Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, Dead of Winter and Talisman.

And I'm just wrapping up a 2 year long Pathfinder (it's like D&D but crunchier) campaign so I'm world building a new campaign to start in January.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ViciousFish said:
Lately we've been playing Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, Dead of Winter and Talisman.
Dead of Winter is super fun. I really want to try out the first expansion. Have you tried Betrayal at House on the Hill? Pretty fun. The board is created as you go via tiles, similar to ZOMBIES!!!, and there is one player who turns out to be a betrayer - they could be insane, a monster, an alien, etc. Pretty good stuff!

ViciousFish said:
I love Arkham Horror but the set up time can be brutal.
Oh man, you're not kidding. I learned early to set the board up before people get to my place to play it. We've played it about 6 times and have only finished a game twice.

That said, the Elder Sign dice/card game from the same universe is super fun and fast paced.

I had only ever played it by myself on the digital app, or with a group of 6-8 people.. But this weekend I played it with a date at a board game bar/cafe and it turned out to be a surprisingly fun two player ice-breaker type game. We kicked the shit out of YIG and got pretty tipsy in the process. :)

23596137_174824526444528_3499525213748461568_n.jpg

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've gotten the kids into Machi Koro and Exploding Kittens. I think the older one might be ready for Settlers.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Pandemic Legacy was great, but we fell out of the habit of playing it and it feels impossible to get back into it. It gets quite complicated by the time September rolls around.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Ticket To Ride. I own a bunch of the expansions but there are some I haven't played yet because I usually play with my in-laws and we haven't had time lately.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tonight I'm starting a Call of Cthulhu RPG tabletop campaign. Should be a blast!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We got three acts in before we had to wrap up and continue another night. I loved it though. It was definitely very unforgiving, but I have to say I enjoy it much more than D&D. I find it easier to visualize, I guess, because it's closer to the real world. The story we were doing, and the GM, everything about the world just felt much more "lived in" than a D&D campaign, IMO.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's definitely a game I want to try again but it's not for my group at all.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So we finished the Call of Cthulhu starter/intro campaign. It was definitely a trip. There were three of us..

I was Bruno 'the Tire Iron' Coltrane - a retired (from head injuries) boxer turned odd job/handyman type guy.

My one friend was 'Happy' Lovejoy, a parapsychologist, and my other friend was Karl 'Carl' Hungus, a hobo.

In the end we defeated the big bad, but our Keeper had us roll a check afterward and my parapsychologist friend and I both rolled into some hell planescape that caused him to go insane and try to claw out his eyes. I decided on the spot that he'd probably rather be dead than end up blind and in an asylum, so I shot him in the head.. but the Keeper then had me roll a check, that basically sealed my fate - I also went insane with the idea that I had just killed someone so I figured it would be a good time to put and end to my character as well, and had him shoot himself in the head. Meanwhile, our hobo friend survived it all, got paid (and also robbed the guy who hired us as well - made out with $128) and hopped the next boxcar out of town.

I really had a blast with this and in the grand scheme of things it ended just as I would expect a Lovecraft tale to end. Lots of death and insanity and a lone survivor, for now.. we'll see how long Karl the hobo lasts, though. I think I'm going to roll an archaeologist on our next run. ;)

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Anyone play this? I got it for my wife for christmas and it looks really fun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00720I7TC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I miss the camaraderie with my Magic the Gathering circle of friends circa 99-01. I don't miss the insane amount of money I spent trying to keep up with the latest sets and trends while also catching up on the backlog of sets that I missed before I started playing (around 95/96).

The game as I remember it is unrecognizable now. I still pick up the odd single here and there as a memento, not to play. I also follow a cool youtube channel, "Open Boosters." This dude used to collect sealed packs and decks from 1993-??? and then lost it all when his parents put them in boxes labeled "kitchen" and put them in the attic. At some point in the last two years he found them and now opens a pack a week for his viewers.

AWESOME shit.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
muzzington said:
I started watching D&D played online recently and I'd love to give it a try.

I've been watching some D&D games on twitch recently and I want to give it a shot. I have the 5e starter set, but no one outside of my girlfriend (who has a feint interest) wants to give it a shot with me. I would like to start a game with some new players, but with an experience DM to lead us through it.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am bumping up this thread because I just learned about Wanderhome, a TTRPG that is based on the No Dice, No GM system. It is basically just improv storytelling based in the world of the game (which is just chockablock full of whimsy and cuteness) and I don't know why I am so drawn to it but it just seems...really relaxing. Luckily, that's basically the point. There's no big bad's to kill, no really big problems to solve, and nobody "wins". It's just about building characters, building community, and just - you know - roleplaying.

While it is explicitly stated that GMs are unnecessary, I am planning to be the Guide of the game when I do get around to playing it just so those that I am playing with can concentrate on being their characters and not having to jump around (when not having a guide, everyone just plays all the NPCs themselves depending on who is having conversations).

Again, the calm of it, its improv nature, and the idea that things can just go wherever you want are appealing to me.

side note: if you look around on the net you can actually find most of the book for free in PDF form (google The Trove) plus tons of extra material as the creator is very open to people adding to the base idea of the game.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

They made a "Where's the Beef?" board game....

They made a "Where's the Beef?" board game....

They made a "Where's the Beef?" board game!?!?!