Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bob Odenkirk: Action Hero

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
On one hand, the director previously did "Hardcore Henry". On the other hand, it looks a lot better than that movie, and knowing who is producing and writing it, I'm in.

If you had told me 20 years ago "The guy from "Mr Show" is gonna star in an action movie", I wouldn't believe you.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Fuck outta here, Hardcore Henry is incredible and you're wrong if you think otherwise. Never seen a movie that could be described as "visual grindcore meets FPS meets side-scroller beat 'em up" before it.

This is such a hard FUCK YEAH that I finally have something to look forward to next year.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you had told me 20 years ago "The guy from "Mr Show" is gonna star in an action movie", I wouldn't believe you.
If you had told me 20 days ago, I wouldn't have believed you. I know he's done a lot more as a dramatic actor in last few years but even with BCS/BB, he's not exactly known for wrecking motherfuckers. This looks good!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
After Odenkirk outacted Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in The Post, I had faith he could do everything.

It's insane how far his career has come since the mid 00's when he was directing forgettable comedies like Let's Go To Prison and The Brother's Solomon. From listening to him throughout the years, he never thought of himself as much of an actor or a performer until fairly recently. I remember in the dvd commentary tracks for Mr. Show, he would always rag on how lousy his acting is throughout and I thought he was being hard on himself. He's gotten so confident on screen in the last 10 years though and it's so great to see. I was always more of an Odenkirk guy than a Cross guy on Mr. Show. His fascination with Abe Lincoln and local news is funnier to me than Cross' fascination with musical comedy and edgier humor.

Saul Goodman is such the perfect role for him as it was clearly in his comfort zone at first, but you could see the growth every season until Better Call Saul when he showed he's a great enough actor to carry things.

Last edited:

Staff member
Reaction score
We were joking about this the other day but this looks good lol

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
After Odenkirk outacted Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in The Post, I had faith he could do everything.

It's insane how far his career has come since the mid 00's when he was directing forgettable comedies like Let's Go To Prison and The Brother's Solomon. From listening to him throughout the years, he never thought of himself as much of an actor or a performer until fairly recently. I remember in the dvd commentary tracks for Mr. Show, he would always rag on how lousy his acting is throughout and I thought he was being hard on himself.

Saul Goodman is such the perfect role for him as it was clearly in his comfort zone at first, but you could see the growth every season until Better Call Saul when he showed he's a great enough actor to carry things.
Yeah! I remember renting The Brothers Solomon and thinking, "Damn, it's really a shame that this is how is how his career turned out." Not only did he get back in front of the screen but he ended up approximately 100x more successful than he was in Mr. Show days.

Ya love to see mid life success stories, don't ya?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Come on, @Brocklock show some respect to The Brothers Solomon. Where else are you going to watch Will Arnett’s sipping on a puddle of water left by a lady’s foot?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Brothers Solomon really feels like one of the last dopey mediocre '00s comedies that would invoke an overly long discussion on TRTSM.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really wanted it to be good. My love for Odenkirk, Arnett, and Forte makes me want to go back and discover it's this massive hidden gem, but then I remember it's a movie where Will Arnett drinks foot water.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
The John Wick films work as well as they do primarily because of Keanu Reeves's ability to perform actual action stunts without the same awful camera shaking and quick cuts that you get in, say, a Liam Neeson film. I'm interested, but not necessarily optimistic.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Can't knock on @tekcop 's appraisal of why the John Wick series work, as Keanu threw himself into the action stuff starting with the first Matrix and that training helps sell the realism, but that undersells the importance of Chad Stahelski and David Leitch as directors. They intentionally wanted a down and dirty approach to the action that was more about actual CQB techniques inspired heavily by The Raid and other Iko Uwais works. Their eyes for action scenes are practically unmatched in this generation.

Nobody, though, has fight choreography done by Daniel Bernhardt (himself a very talented fight choreographer and decent zero-budget action star/martial artist) and Kirk A Jenkins (a stuntman whose work includes MCU favorites Infinity War, Endgame, and the Daredevil series). Couple this with Naishuller's frenetic directorial style (and he's bringing his crew along, too), and this is looking very, very good.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He's one of the only celebs I would be upset about if he turned out to be a creep. I loved Odenkirk since seeing him and Cross on Space Ghost back when I was a kid where he kept yelling whenever Space Ghost hit him with his blast ray.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, Odenkirk doesn't get nearly enough credit for creating the Matt Foley character

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven’t read Chris’ bio in a while but IIRC, Odenkirk initially wanted to play him too (and tbh he would have been very good IMO) but realized it was a role Farley was born to play.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There were some delightful Matt Foley type characters Odenkirk played on Mr. Show like that angry middle aged guy going undercover as a cool young hip teen

Dandy

Reaction score
So there are two schools of thought that can be taken with Breaking Bad: the casting had a great eye for underutilized talent that would finally be given their breaks that would catapult them to superstardom; or these solid actors were given great scripts and allowed them to build the confidence they needed by feeding off each other and growing into superstardom.

Though I believe it is a mix of both, I am of the belief that they fed off each other and their confidence as actors made them so much better. There were so many great performances and so many careers took off after those performances. But I believe they all got better on that show working together and with the great material.

Odenkirk is definitely one of those.

To truly stay on topic, I want to watch this movie immediately.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Odenkirk has branched the most out of his comfort zone out of the BB cast. Bryan Cranston's had some great roles but trailer for his new Showtime mini seems like it's kind of veering back into "He's like Walter White except he has political power".

Not that he was bad on The Mandalorian but I am starting to get a tiny smidge tired of Giancarlo Esposito playing soft spoken, calm and sinister villains. He's essentially played variations on that role in 3 shows this year!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finally saw this last night before it left theaters. First movie in theaters since January 2020! I think @909 's 6.5/10 review was pretty spot on. Just a typical *** shoot 'em up. But that ain't a crime. I actually kind of liked how purposely lean the movie was. You didn't get any sort of character development beyond Bob's character (they didn't even feel the need to explain how RZA and Bob Odenkirk were brothers, which I liked!). It was just Bob Odenkirk is a miserable sap and there's some scary Russian mobsters and now he's going to kick some fucking ass. It seems like an 80 minute movie but it was actually an hour forty five. They probably could have trimmed some of the action scenes to flesh out some of the other characters but hell, with this type of movie, who wants character development when we got Odenkirk kicking ass.

Plus it hinted at RZA and Christopher Lloyd getting a spinoff movie!!!

I always thought I'd return to theaters with something more high minded but tbh, I feel like a 6.5/10, *** action movie (with Bob Odenkirk) may have been a better way to ease back into theater going experience.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think I liked it a tad more than 6.5, but that's a fair rating. It felt like a John Wick DLC pack with skins for Odenkirk and Christopher Lloyd to replace Keanu and Ian McShane for a lot of the movie. But, that's not a bad thing and the action was phenomenal. I thought the subway fight with Odenkirk and those dudes absolutely destroyed any fight in the new MK movie. Odenkirk did a great job actually. Much better than I was expecting. I bought him in the role right away. The villains were bland and one note, but that is a problem with most of the traditional action movies these days. Connie Nielsen was pretty wasted in the female role though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's one aspect of '80s/'90s action films that stomps current action films' ass- great villains.

I feel like there was potential for that villain to be great or at least solid but after some slight exposition, they just decided to go with straight up crazy.

Reaction score
Saw it yesterday as well. It’s a feel good action movie. It’s hilarious. And I enjoyed it.
I didn’t want anything to happen to the RZA and Christopher Lloyd.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was surprised to hear on his episode of WTF, that Christopher Lloyd had never done an action movie before this. You'd think someone who was in so many popcorn movies in the '80s/'90s would've done at least some sort of action comedy but not the case. Unless you count Suburban Commando!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is a cool interview that confirms Bob Odenkirk is exactly as you would expect him to be IRL. Also he is writing a memoir!

Reactions: Laz