Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t5L0kcsi3I

Plot
As with previous games in the series, The Pre-Sequel will feature four playable characters, each with different classes and abilities. All four of The Pre-Sequel's protagonists were non-player characters (NPCs) in previous Borderlands games; the first of these characters is Athena, "the Gladiator", a rogue assassin of the Atlas Corporation first introduced in the Borderlands DLC campaign The Secret Armory of General Knoxx. Athena can use a temporary shield to absorb damage; this ability can be upgraded to make the shield itself into a weapon that can be thrown at enemies, and even allow it to absorb elemental damage which can in turn, be reflected back at enemies. The Hyperion engineer Wilhelm, "the Enforcer", can become increasingly augmented with technology and weaponry over the course of the game, transforming him into the more familiar cybernetic form he possessed as the first major boss in Borderlands 2. While not detailed in initial demoes, Lynchwood sheriff Nisha, "the Lawbringer" (also introduced in Borderlands 2), and Claptrap, "the Fragtrap" (the last remaining robot of its kind as of Borderlands 2) will also be playable characters.

Story
The storyline of The Pre-Sequel will focus on Handsome Jack and his attempt to escape his exile from the Hyperion moonbase, and capture it for himself. The main characters of Athena, Wilhelm, Nisha, and Claptrap, will begin the game as henchmen of Handsome Jack. Jack himself will have "morally good intentions" at the beginning of the story, but will slowly transform into the "horrific, evil villain he is in Borderlands 2 that seems to have enjoyed cutting people's eyeballs out with a spoon." Pitchford stated that the game's plot would explore how villains "can be morally ambiguous, doing possibly bad things for the right reasons and then have that reflect what [Handsome Jack] is doing. There are several quests in the game where literally the only narrative purpose they exist for is to show you that the bad guy you're fighting is not actually a horrible person."

Gameplay
Gameplay in The Pre-Sequel will remain similar to previous installments, but with the addition of new mechanics. Two new weapon types will be introduced, including various forms of laser-based weaponry, and cryogenic weaponry which can slow down and freeze enemies, who can then be smashed using a melee attack. The lack of gravity on the moon will also have an effect on motion, causing players to jump higher but slower, and items such as loot and dead bodies to float away. Players can use O2 kits (oxygen tanks) like a jetpack to perform double jumps, hovering, and ground slamming attacks. As with other items, different types of O2 kits can provide stat bonuses, and add elemental effects to the aforementioned slam attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FVSa3PChTw4

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not really worried about that. They already have the base Borderlands "engine" to work off of with this, plus this is GB's big franchise and I doubt they would be willing to let the same thing happen twice. Also - different studio than the ones (there were 3) that they had develop A:CM.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I still haven't finished all the DLC from the last game but super excited. Despite not being much of a shooter or RPG person, the Borderlands games are pretty much my favorite games.

And I won't be forced to settle on a "Next Gen" system yet!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it's really cool of them to go "last-gen" for this game. You probably have a ton of people who are still sitting on the fence, and another entry in a hugely popular franchise like this helps to extend the life of those consoles. Can't wait, personally!

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's smart, too. When your game is awesome when played co-op and just okay when played solo, you've got to go for the big userbase. Borderlands 2 sold over 8 million copies, and neither Sony nor Microsoft has managed to move even 8 million of their new consoles yet.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Dubq, I look forward to you doing pieces on this for CXF to educate the peeps I run multi-player with.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/20/borderlands-the-handsome-collection-hits-ps4-on-march-24th/

Remastered collection of BL2, BLTPS and ALL DLC hits Xbox One & PS4 on March 24th. Supports old savegames and four player local splitscreen.

16109380178_955bcbc053_n.jpg

Ever since we announced Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, nearly every fan I’ve heard from at trade shows, on Twitter, in the comments, or on the forums has asked one question: when is it coming to PS4? Well, we appreciate your patience, and today we have some good news for all of you: not only are we bringing The Pre-Sequel to PS4 on March 24th, but Borderlands 2 is coming along with it! Both titles will be available in one package as Borderlands: The Handsome Collection for $59.99.

The Handsome Collection has both games running in gorgeous HD and looking pretty damn great, at a resolution and performance level never before seen in Borderlands on consoles. Beyond that, The Handsome Collection also has another cool first for Borderlands: four-player split-screen! Yup, four friends can hang out on the couch and play in split-screen on a single TV with The Handsome Collection, in Borderlands 2 or The Pre-Sequel.

Have you already started Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and/or Borderlands 2 on PS3 or Borderlands 2 PS Vita? Don’t worry: using cross-save functionality, you’ll be able to transfer your save to and from PS4 to pick up right where you left off, along with your leveled-up character, Badass Rank, and everything else you worked so hard for.

But what about the DLC? Well, that’s all included, too. Yup, The Handsome Collection includes ALL of the add-on content for both Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel, which is a heck of a lot of stuff. To give you an idea of just how much we’ve stuffed into that little box, here’s a list of everything you’ll get in addition to the base games:

Borderlands 2
Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate’s Booty (campaign add-on)
Mr. Torgue’s Campaign of Carnage (campaign add-on)
Sir Hammerlock’s Big Game Hunt (campaign add-on)
Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep (campaign add-on)
The Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack (level cap increase)
Gaige the Mechromancer (playable class)
Krieg the Psycho (playable class)
Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2: Digistruct Peak Challenge (level cap increase & challenge arena)
Creature Slaughter Dome (challenge arena)
T.K. Baha’s Bloody Harvest (Headhunter Pack)
The Horrible Hunger of the Ravenous Wattle Gobbler (Headhunter Pack)
How Marcus Saved Mercenary Day (Headhunter Pack)
Mad Moxxi and the Wedding Day Massacre (Headhunter Pack)
Sir Hammerlock vs. the Son of Crawmerax (Headhunter Pack)

Character Customization Packs
Collector’s Edition Pack
Commando Madness Pack
Commando Supremacy Pack
Commando Domination Pack
Siren Madness Pack
Siren Supremacy Pack
Siren Domination Pack
Gunzerker Madness Pack
Gunzerker Supremacy Pack
Gunzerker Domination Pack
Mechromancer Madness Pack
Mechromancer Supremacy Pack
Mechromancer Domination Pack
Assassin Madness Pack
Assassin Supremacy Pack
Assassin Domination Pack
Mechromancer Steampunk Slayer Pack
Gunzerker Dapper Gent Pack
Psycho Dark Psyche Pack
Psycho Madness Pack
Psycho Supremacy Pack
Psycho Domination Pack
Siren Glitter and Gore Pack
Commando Haggard Hunter Pack
Assassin Stinging Blade Pack
Mechromancer Beatmaster Pack
Gunzerker Greasy Grunt Pack
Psycho Party Pack
Siren Learned Warrior Pack
Commando Devilish Good Looks Pack
Assassin Cl0ckw0rk Pack

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Handsome Jack Doppelganger Pack (playable class)
Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack: The Holodome Onslaught (level cap increase & challenge arena)
Shock Drop Slaughter Pit (challenge arena)
Upcoming Season Pass Content (playable class)
Upcoming Season Pass Content (campaign add-on)

I didn't end up getting the Pre Sequel, so I'll probably just pick this up instead.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Awesome news. I had picked up Pre-Sequel on 360 over Black Friday but I will probably just try to sell that now, as it is still sealed. My buddies I play with both traded their 360s in for Xbox Ones, so now I can probably convince them to jump on this with me.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like the cross save feature. I didn't finish all of the DLC or the harder modes on BL2, so it will be nice to go back to that with my character and run through it.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also there's a $400 "I hate my fucking money" edition that comes with a remote controlled Claptrap.

I LOVED the first Borderlands, but I was just unable to get into 2 and never tried with the Pre-Sequel.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
After spending way to much money on BL 2 and the DLCs I'm holding off on the pre-sequel until the eventual complete edition is released and even then will probably also wait for a sale.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Well, if you're on nextgen, now you can get the two complete games in one package with upgraded graphics!

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Mik said:
Well, if you're on nextgen, now you can get the two complete games in one package with upgraded graphics!

I is not on next-gen, in fact atm I have no consoles since my PS3 and 360 both bricked last year so I'm 100% PC gaming atm.,

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Bruno 'The Tire Iron' Coltrane said:
Are they doing more DLC for the Pre Sequel?

Looking at the season pass on steam there's still 2 more to be released for that, after that who knows, they pumped out a good bit for BL2 that wasn't in that season pass.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
On XB1 and PS4 today. I think I'll be picking it up later but the Dragon Age DLC has me questioning my strategy.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Went and bought the Handsome Collection for X1 on my lunch today. My buddy said he was gonna get it. May just load it up tonight.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Pre-Sequel is pretty fun but it's a much shorter game than BL2. I've only thrown a few hours in and I'm already on Chapter 5.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, I had picked up the 360 version on Black Friday and still never opened it.

Opened up HC and started downloading while I watch my recording of Smackdown. I noticed the download for PS was like a third of the size of BL2, which is still one of my favorite games ever. I text my buddy that was supposed to pick it up, and supposed to be available tonight, so we will see if we hop on.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Contemplating picking up the Handsome Collection as I'm getting bored with my current crop of games. I didn't care too much for the first Borderlands (loved the graphics and gameplay, hated the annoying grinding), but I've heard the second and Pre-Sequel are both improvements.

Would it be worth a shot?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was a fan of the 1st game and loved the 2nd even more. A little less grindy IMO, a bit more wacky and easter-eggy.

I bought the Handsome Collection and have messed around with Pre-Sequel with my buddy over XBL a few times and enjoy it but the Borderlands series tend to be some of my favorite games, so I am biased.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Definitely an improvement over the first. Massively so. The story flows better, grinding isn't nearly as boring (or as completely necessary), and the addition of co-op multiplayer makes all the difference in the world. I'm still not as enamored with it as I am other games but I thoroughly enjoy it.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Glad you like it. Which console are you on again? I play it at times on my own but it is my favorite game to co-op.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
If ya dig this then ya'd def be into part 2 as this can really be viewed as a really big DLC than a full on new game, only real major changes to it was the whole anti gravity/slam mechanic and the frost elemental weapons.

Also this game made "Son of a taint" an almost daily saying <-<