Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Breaking Bad

Dandy

Reaction score
I am working my way back through this for the umpteenth time and I am on S2E8.

@snuffbox , the acting is indeed superb through what you have watched so far, but you have not seen anything yet compared to what is to come. The acting gets better and better and so does the show. Enjoy.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seems like a good time and place to note that Bob Odenkirk (Saul) created Matt Foley, Chris Farley's greatest character.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As great as show is from the start, I feel like it gets stronger as it goes along. MAYYYBE the final season isn't quite as good as Seasons 3-4 but there's still a lot of really friggin great stuff in the last season. It's not like The Wire Season 5 dropoff.

Dandy

Reaction score
Earlier in the thread lots of us said the seasons are better with every season.

5.5 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

I could forgive someone for liking 4 the best, but it just seems that it was getting better and better every time out.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd say 4, 5.5, 5, 3, 2, 1

I give 4 the slight edge just cause Gus Fring is a more menacing and interesting of a villain than Uncle Jack, Lydia, and Todd.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
4 was the first one I watched as it aired so it will always hold a special place. Very rarely have that weekly anticipation anymore.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
During the last half season of Breaking Bad, I had to DVR episodes and watch them during the day because if I watched them live as they happened at 9 PM/10 PM EST (or whenever the show aired live on AMC), I'd be so anxious afterward that I couldn't sleep until like 3 or 4 AM.

Maybe this is a thread for posters who are washed crosspost?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like it all as a whole but my stance on season five is it feels like they were elated and surprised to be renewed for it. Season 4 wasn't a complete story book ending, but it wouldn't have devastated me if that was it. I enjoyed five, but it just feels like filler in some parts. I blame a lot of that on Uncle Jack et al not having the bulk of entire seasons to build up as being the ultimate bad guys and instead just being the season 5 bad guys. I'm not a writer, just a consumer, so my takeaway is only from that angle.

Dandy

Reaction score
4 was the first one I watched as it aired so it will always hold a special place. Very rarely have that weekly anticipation anymore.
Same here. I also felt like it was the first season with no slight lull (though still light years ahead of most TV) until a point where it kicked into a gear that couldn’t be matched. I felt 4 started the first episode and did not stop.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finished season 2. When the Jane Margolis character started I checked the actress's wikipedia bio and that was not a good idea. I saw she was only the show for a season or two and then was on a later movie as the same character. I assumed the kids broke up and I'd see how things picked back up when I get to the movie. So the character's death was one of the gutpunchiest I've seen on tv.

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah don't look at that stuff ever. It spoils everything and is very fucking annoying.

Also, I thought the second season would be the peak of this show, but no. Not even close.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good to see old friend Wynn Duffy in the first episode of season 3.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I agree 5.5 is great but

the nazis didn’t feel like they should have been that powerful, let alone be known as the guys that both broke and killed Walt. It just felt contrived, especially the end. Everything else was great though.

ozymandias is some of the most realistically tense television I’ve ever seen. Don’t look that up snuff

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Also I still have not finished BCS, but after three seasons I firmly believe it’s better than Breaking Bad. I gotta catch up before the last season airs. But Anyone else agree it is better than BB?

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Also I still have not finished BCS, but after three seasons I firmly believe it’s better than Breaking Bad. I gotta catch up before the last season airs. But Anyone else agree it is better than BB?
I’m not quite there. I think part of it is just knowing where so many of the characters end up. Is BB is a 10 I’m totally fine calling Saul a 9.5.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My girlfriend likes BCS better than BB and I'm not 100% sure I quite get it. Maybe it has more emotional depth and is a more well rounded show but I've never felt the "OH MAN! I CANNOT WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK!" feeling with BCS that I had with last two seasons of BB. I still haven't watched all of the last season cause it started a month before pandemic and I moved to my girlfriend's house when that started. Come to think of it. Shouldn't it be on Netflix by now? Eh. Maybe I'll splurge and spend the $20 to buy it on Vudu. I've been waiting long enough.

the nazis didn’t feel like they should have been that powerful, let alone be known as the guys that both broke and killed Walt. It just felt contrived, especially the end. Everything else was great though.
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie is definitely the weakest BB related property but it does seem like the most realistic depiction of skinhead gangs.

Idk if Uncle Jack, Todd, and co broke Walt persay as they were the ones that were there when it all came crashing down and I mean he completely destroyed them too.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I like BCS, but man is it dry. It is very intelligently written. But, there isn't near the excitement of BB.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've seen the first four. Just not last one. As great as BB was, I feel like Skyler White stuck in a lot of people's craws for whatever reasons (usually misogyny, I guess). There's no characters that have that kind of go away heat in BCS. Everybody feels nuanced and compelling, at least to some extent.

Dandy

Reaction score
Re 5.5 spoiler from above:

Part of the neo-nazis being so powerful is that Walt and Gus took out the entire fucking Cartel. Walt then took out Gus. Walt was on top by himself and quit. Then Hank finds out and turns Jesse against Walt while Walt’s latest protege (Todd) is giving his uncle and the nazis all the info they need to get the money. They did not break Walt. They were vultures that swooped in at the best possible time. Then a near-death, on the run from everyone Walt came back and showed them what the fuck was up.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
To me, if anything the Nazis were kind of a letdown after Gus, who IMO is legit contender for GOAT TV villain. I never got any sense that Walt was in any actual danger. Agree with my guy @Dandy that they were just snakes who were there right as Walt was about to break and even then, Walt was still able to mow them down with relative ease.

Dandy

Reaction score
Hank was the antagonist of the final season. It had been building since season one. The nazis were the looming background threat that turned the tables via opportunity as mentioned.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Minor to moderate complaint about Season 5.5...I wish we had gotten more time and payoff on the Hank Vs Walter storyline but I guess the Nazis ruining it was a good way to heighten their villainy.

Dandy

Reaction score
What did you want? Hank beat Walt and Walt was humbled. One of them killing the other didn’t seem like a good story. Walt lost and came full circle. Arcs were ended. In the end, Walt chose Hank and tried to spare him. Walt then had everything crumble beneath him and he came back to avenge everything. I thought it was perfect.

Dandy

Reaction score
Yeah, it is because someone bumped the thread to talk about watching it through for the first time and is currently on season three. We were tagging later season stuff so it didn’t ruin it for him. Only takes a click to unveil it if you have seen it or don’t care to be spoiled but allows him to discuss through where he is at so far. Best of both worlds.