Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Brody and Friends talk about the AWA (Brody has no friends)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I feel like I've talked about this before, but I was just looking up GCW results from 1984 and saw Crusher Blackwell had a run there leading up to Black Saturday. Blackwell had just done his big face turn in June and the AWA wrote him off for the summer. Blackwell worked GCW, Central States and Japan. His AWA face turn would have made TV but Blackwell is doing heel work in both places.
WORSE YET - he and his blood foe Brody team a bunch in Japan in Aug, only to fly back to the Midwest at the end of the month to begin their feud! I'd love to see the Apters coverage of that!

Also - note that Verne doesn't yet seem to realize his promotion is in a war and does his usual limited summer schedule instead of fortifying the roster and running shows to expand, the WWF gets a few free months to scoop up more talent and TV deals.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watching a documentary on the murder of former NBA player Lorenzen Wright and noticed this(!) on his gravestone. I guess the guy was a bigger AWA fan than a Memphis/Lawler fan (Wright was a Memphis native):

1711479535278.png

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Verne could have played his Baba pipeline better and offered his fans some interesting new talent after Wrestlerock.
If Verne hangs on to his $ and talent for 8 months longer than he did, he's in play for the UWF talent. So Doc, Steiner, etc guys with NCAA cred Verne would love can be added to the mix. (To be fair, young Rick and eventually young Scott Steiner both made AWA TV and Verne used both as job guys.)
I don't think Dibiase would have been in play, Baba pipeline or not as JCP was offering him 250K or something like that as his guarantee before he went with Vince's offer.
Verne does switch alliances to NJPW at some point (late 87/early 88?) which opens up light heavyweight showcase matches for ESPN. Owen is not yet in the WWF, the Guerreros are about to enter AWA, Muta is already slumming it in America in various territories in 87. The Rockers are still in and out of the AWA at times, Tanaka and Diamond are soon to arrive. The Bulldogs and Brian Blair could be late 88 additions.
Of course any free agents/fantasy booking is null and void as the AWA is offering hot dogs and hand shakes for payoffs so there's no incentive to come other than the ESPN TV. Verne is a prick boss and the only house shows are paid shows in front of 1000 people on a good weekend.

Brody tried booking hoss heavy in WCCW in late 86/into 87 (Abby, Jos LeDuc, Mulligan, Nord etc) and that was part of the death period of WCCW. Different fan demo and all that from the AWA