Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Canadian Football League

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Today's the initial season opener in the CFL. I've never followed the league before but wanted to start this season. Flik can expand on details/rule differences but below is a live feed to the Montreal @ Hamilton game. Of note, Quinton Porter (BC QB) is starting for Hamilton and WR Reggie McNeal (ex-Texas A&M QB) already has a TD catch for Montreal.

Justin.tv - exclusive3

Interesting to watch. Anybody else follow the CFL besides Flik (and me now I guess)?

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went to the Grey Cup last year and I'll sometimes watch it if there's nothing else on.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
A few years ago I started watching the CFL as an alternative to unwatchable preseason NFL games to give me a football fix before the college football season started. But last year they had no U.S. tv deal and this year they do have regional sports network deals in the U.S. but sadly my Comcast Sportsnet won't be televising any games.

Here's a link to the schedules for U.S. television coverage.

http://www.cfl.ca/uploads/assets/CFL/PDF_Docs/CFL_International_Broadcast_Schedule_2009.pdf

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I LOVE Canadian Football League, I always download the games off Ten Yard Torrents after each week. I didn't miss a single game last year. The rules are awesome.

I grew up in Baltimore, so when we got the CFL Colts/Stallions, I became hooked, even though American expansion failed (besides Baltimore - GREY CUP CHAMPIONS ITS IN THE BOOKS)

Hopefully Hamilton and Calgary do well this year, those are the teams I like. And Sasckatchewan. I don't like Toronto and Montreal much, although I do like Toronto's colors and uniforms (that's another nice thing about the CFL - very snazzy fashion)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Tonight's game between Edmonton and Winnipeg can be seen here: http://atdhe.net/ (or on some Justin.tv stream probably) with the game starting at 9:00 PM ET. Worth noting is that former Louisville QB Stefan LeFors (who started ahead of Brian Brohm at one point and was a 4th Round Pick) will be starting at QB for Winnipeg.

Other notable players to be aware of
- Edmonton: QB Ricky Ray (Backup with NY Jets in 2004), RB Jesse Lumsden (Stud last year in the CFL), and WR Maurice Mann (Was on the Redskins pre-season squad last year)
- Winnipeg: RB Yvenson Bernard (Oregon State) and WR Adarius Bowman (Oklahoma State)

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Yeah... I told HQ all about the CFL because he wanted to know, so if you are wondering who to blame for this, it was me.

Anyways, the only problem I had with Lumsden is that he gets hurt easily. And low an' behold, what happens? He doesn't even survive the first quarter.

Ugh... Why did we go after him? Why not find a replacement for Tucker (injuried, forced to retire) and Campbell (currently in the NFL, likely going to get a starting gig)? We've got Ricky f'n Ray. We needed guys who could replace Tucker and Campbell. Not find a halfback when we already had one that produced on the roster already.

What a waste...

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
Anyone see Arland Bruce tribute to Michael Jackson? He should have pulled out the white glove instead of his RIP act.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. Other players in the league were also doing tributes to MJ (i.e. little dance moves and such), which is what Bruce should've done.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I would need to say that certainly was a little bit over the top there for a celebration. And after the game he so didn't regret it, so I don't know why he was apologizing after he got fined. Mixed messages much?

Also, Lumsden's likely done for most of, if not full year thanks to a dislocated shoulder. Do I cry now that we're stuck with his tab?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
RB Arkee Whitlock (He of Southern Illinois fame) is not endearing himself with Edmonton as he's dropped 2 TD passes. In fairness, the first one was somewhat tough with a contorting twist but the second one was a Jackie Smith style wide open drop.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I think him dropping two TD passes isn't as bad as getting bitch slapped 50-16 with THIRTY FOUR FUCKING POINTS given up in the fourth quarter.

How the hell do we just go "oh here you go, have 34 points"? Ugh... Simply terrible.

._. This is why we needed a go to receiver, not freaking Lumsden. Argh.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised that the Roughriders signed him. After all I figured they were already set at QB for this season. Do they really not like their QBs that much? Signing Harrell won't make the guys who are on the team very happy.