Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Candy.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I miss the damn candy shop in the mall where you could go in and fill your own bag of stuff and it was sold by weight. Found one randomly in downtown San Antonio last July but was in the midst of hardcore dieting.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can think of three places off the top of my head that do that within a 30 minute drive of me. None of them are in the mall though.

Two of them are two doors away from each other in Old Orchard Beach (sort of trashy but sort of gentrifying beach resort town 30 minutes outside of Portland) and I think they're both ice cream parlors too. I always buy candy cigarettes even though they aren't good or even that interesting since I can still find them twenty years after people told me "Better buy these before they get banned!" It's like eating a bunch of mini Fun Dip Sticks without the benefit of actually having Fun Dip!

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's the kind of place I worked at. It was like advertised as $4.99/lb. or something and everyone for some weird reason thought that meant you could just fill a bag and it would be $4.99. When they cried about it, we couldn't put the candy (even if it was wrapped) back on the shelf so all of my friends ate so much candy that summer from me taking all the reject candy home. After a week, I was sick of candy so I'd just bring bags of gummy bears and caramels etc whenever I hung out with someone.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
There is a candy shop like that in my town. Huge wooden barrels of candy, and they used to let people sample anything from certain barrels but I think it got abused so much that now it is limited to 2 total samples. The place has some amazing candy.

I remember as a kid going to one of those "Sweet Factory" joints in the mall, only to realize what a ripoff they are.

Also not sure if I mentioned it already in this thread but when I was a kid and Cookies & Cream Hershey bars first debuted, it was like crack in my neighborhood.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

I bought all three because I'm a sap.

Chili: Tastes just like a regular peanut M&M at first but then there's tiny peppery tickle in the back of your throat. 1/10
Honey: Too sweet. Doesn't really even taste like honey. Just... more sugar? 3/10
Coffee: Easily the best of the bunch, but I'm not sure I'd buy them over peanut M&M's and def. not over peanut butter. Maybe better than plain? But then, I just kinda hate plain M&M's. Doesn't really taste like coffee, more like bitter chocolate. 5/10

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Every one of them left an aftertaste for exactly one M&M and then after that I couldn't taste the difference between any of them and regular peanut M&Ms. Chili ones were good for a one-off kick (to be fair I never eat anything spicy), but the coffee ones just made me wish I was eating chocolate covered coffee beans instead. Honey ones were OK but tek's right, there's zero honey-related flavor in them.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bumping this old thread since Reese's Pieces have replaced Peanut M&Ms as my Theater go to for the last year and a half. Pretty sure they've definitely cracked my Top 5 now and are damn near crack for me.

51CwgYIdVoL._SY355_.jpg

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I honestly hadn't thought of Creme Savers in 15 years but I'm excited that they're coming back.

My favorite hard candy for a few years in the late '90s/early '00s

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They timed it perfectly. A generation of kids who grew up with these at their grandparents house are now the appropriate age to have these laying around in random bowls throughout their own homes.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fact it's only available at Big Lots is weird but also I'm going to have to go to Big Lots to get Creme Savers so it'll make some good posts in the Thread for Posters Who Are Washed in the general folder.