Cards I Find on Cagematch That I Wonder If They Actually Happened

King Kamala

Integral Poster
WrestleReunion 2 is just as weird and features Mick Foley's first indy match in years plus Lance Russell and Joey Styles as announce team.

I hope Bruno Sammartino did the self high five when he accompanied DDP to ringside.

D Lo Brown, Dusty Rhodes, The Blue Meanie, and Dr. Tom Prichard Vs Test, Matt Borne, Steve Corino, and The Masked Superstar has got to be the most random 8 man tag of all time.
 

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Cards I find in WON notes that I wonder if they actually happened:

An independent group has a show 1/31/1986 at the University of Alaska-Anchorage with Brad Rheingans vs. Gene Kiniski; the Tonga Kid vs. Bobby Duncum; Debbie Combs vs. Despina Montaguas; Samoan Afa vs. Steve O. Apparently Steve O and Rheingans will no longer work for Gagne, nor will Billy Robinson.

Kiniski worked into 1992(!) when he was around 64 years old. Brad wasn't "bad" but I can't see him getting anything watchable out of Gene here. Tonga Kid had quit AWA, WWF, and other places in just the past year or so at this point, so I wonder if he made this shot. He would go back to the WWF as Tama and quit AGAIN over his WM 4 payoff.
 

Brocklock

Integral Poster
I'm looking at Brad Armstrong matches after WCW closed down for some reason and came across this 2005 card

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=138926

This is a loaded card actually with Dusty (With Magnum in his corner) vs Tully (With JJ Dillion) in 2005, Dustin vs Terry Funk, Brad Armstrong/Jeff Hardy/Jerry Lawler vs The Midnight Express (The reason I'm posting the card as that is some babyface team), The Masked Superstar vs The Barbarian, Tony Atlas vs Tracey Smothers, and more.
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
We could probably lead a nationwide work stoppage based around finding footage for this show featuring a main event of Dan Severn defending the NWA World Title against Repo Man, plus Jim Neidhart Vs Lance Von Erich, Dick Murdoch Vs Gangrel, Koko B. Ware teaming up with Typhoon against King Kong Bundy and some guy, and Rick Martel Vs The Berzerker.
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
While looking up Sean Waltman's indy career while discussing XPW with @Laz in the indy thread, I found this.

I feel like there's like 10-25% chance a Scott Hall Vs Marty Jannetty match on an indy show in 2004 was shockingly good and like 75% to 90% it was a trainwreck but either way, I'd want to see it. Plus The SAT Vs Ultimo Dragon and Amazing Red in the main event must've been amazing (or another trainwreck)
 

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
This sounds like something oddly up Kamala's alley! https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=61487 Memphis Championship Wrestling from 3/3/2001

What would you have gotten? Haas Brothers vs. a super young Daniel Bryan & Shooter Shultz (named The Kliq lol), a young Victoria vs. Jason Sensation (wtf), matches featuring the legendary Just Joe AND Bo Dupp, and the explosion of the Mean Street Posse with Joey Abs vs. Pete Gas. Also a pre-Kevin Thorn gimmick wrestling as Seven.
 

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Remember that period in time when people were talking about what a star Pete Gas was becoming in Memphis?

We need a recap if you go through with it, Kamala
 

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Remember that period in time when people were talking about what a star Pete Gas was becoming in Memphis?

We need a recap if you go through with it, Kamala
Wasn't Rod-rageous also improving like crazy also?


Edit: From the Wiki: On the May 10, 1999 episode of Raw, Gas and Rodney lost to Brisco and Patterson in a loser leaves town match. The television ratings for the segment the match appeared in were at that time the highest ever recorded for a WWF television program.

What the hell did Nitro have on?!

---
Also says Pete Gas wanted to train as a worker in 1992 but Vince talked him out of it. Potentially Gas would have trained and learned in the USWA and SMW, then gotten the nepotism push in the ultra crappy 1995 WWF in some awful gimmick.
 
Last edited:

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Wasn't Rod-rageous also improving like crazy also?
Yeah, they both were said to pick it up. Rodney got changed to RodRageous. Looking it up tonight, he was competing for and carrying the mid card title in Memphis Power Pro whereas Pete Gas won the Heavyweight Championship there.
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Edit: From the Wiki: On the May 10, 1999 episode of Raw, Gas and Rodney lost to Brisco and Patterson in a loser leaves town match. The television ratings for the segment the match appeared in were at that time the highest ever recorded for a WWF television program.

What the hell did Nitro have on?!
That RAW was highest rated ever cause there was no Nitro that night due to the NBA Playoffs on TNT (looking it up on Wikipedia and it looks like it was a Hawks-Pistons and Suns-Blazers...hope that match happened before the late game happened for @Baby Shoes sake).

I actually think you can pinpoint the '99 NBA Playoffs preemption as when WCW lost the plot in Monday Night Wars. In Spring of '99, WCW was slowly rebuilding and actually kind of good but by June, it sucked! That weird NBA lockout season was even bad for wrestling! (that's not even to mention the WCW on NBC specials that got canceled when the lockout ended)
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Today's Cagematch deep dive---Dusty Rhodes' post WCW, pre TNA promotion Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling always seemed super bizarre

Dusty Rhodes and NEW JACK Vs Larry Zbyszko and extremely short lived, extremely annoying WCW wrestler Luther Biggs in the main event. I like to imagine Dusty doing the Common Man Boogie to "Natural Born Killaz" while New Jack murders Luther Biggs. Plus TCW Tag Team Champs Jorge Estrada & Glacier! That Scotty Riggs-Kanyon match may have been a sleeper tho.
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Bah gawd! Jerry Flynn almost became an NWA World Champion. Think of how much different the Worst NWA World Champions of All Time lists would be if Jerry Flynn got a run with the strap? This whole tournament reads like a 1997-98 episode of WCW Worldwide.

Speaking of 1997 Worldwide, I went down further the Jerry Flynn rabbit hole. This 1997 NWA Florida card might be me, @Alfdogg , and @The Art of Postin' 's dream card. Jerry Flynn Vs Hercules and Dan Severn Vs Typhoon (For the NWA World Title! Imagine how different the Best NWA World Champions of All Time lists would be if Tugger got a run!) plus old ass Dory Funk Jr Vs Skinner
 

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
7 year old Brody loved him some blue tights babyface Herc. It might be a false memory, but I recall wishing Hercules would step up to stop Quake from his early 1990 rampage of crippling Ron Garvin, Hillbilly Jim and various jobbers....and then one week Mean Gene announced their WM 6 match.

Honestly though, I was probably daydreaming of every top "good guy" getting him some of Quake.
-
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Probably would have been better than Kahagas and Jax Dane too. Not as good as Rob Conway though.

I never saw a Mike Rapada match but I assumed he was not good on basis of him being NWA World Champion right before TNA days. Has anyone here seen him wrestle? @tekcop maybe?
 

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
June 2nd 1990: (WON)

Joe Pedicino’s Beach Brawl show was marred by bad weather and drew 160 for a card with a ring on the beach. John Michaels beat Billy Black with falls counting anywhere, and Michaels pinned him in the lake. Joel Deaton and Randy Rose wrestled in an Escape from Alcatraz match, on a small piece of land in the lake, called an island. They started throwing rocks and brawling, and then Tony Zane jumped off a houseboat and swam to the island where they double teamed Rose and pinned him, but pins don’t count. The match ends when someone swims to shore. They both tried to swim to shore and each climbed a lifeguard chair and brawled, until Rose clotheslined Deaton into the lake.
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Someone on Twitter mentioned that Brodie Lee beat Akebono on a Dragongate USA show in Fall of 2010. I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own two eyes...

I wasn't following indies back then but it's odd it didn't work out for DGUSA. I'm guessing they showed up a few years too early for the indy wrestling boom and casual US fans becoming interested in Japanese wrestling. They had a hell of a lot of future stars pass through.
 
Top