Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Cards I Find on Cagematch That I Wonder If They Actually Happened

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I never saw a Mike Rapada match but I assumed he was not good on basis of him being NWA World Champion right before TNA days. Has anyone here seen him wrestle? @tekcop maybe?
He was...alright. Probably about Zack Ryder levels of in-ring talent but with a serious lack of charisma. The NWA in the 90s, especially after Douglas threw the belt down, was too stuck in their supremely outdated ideologies about what a champ should be, even when they were at the lowest levels of relevance in the history of the "organization."

For record, here's a decent-but-forgettable match he had with Dean Malenko in 1997, right about when Rapada was getting pushed as a bigger deal in the NWA.

re: DGUSA
That whole thing was just a shitshow from start to finish. It wasn't a case of not being during an indie boom (since it was literally booked by Gabe after he left ROH), nor of the US indie audience not being familiar with Japanese talents (since PWG was getting hype for booking DragonGate talents since 2007), but that the product was...well, pretty fucking weak. It didn't last long because it was basically just "EVOLVE...but occasionally with DG stars."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Once again, I was discussing XPW with @Laz so back down the Cagematch rabbit hole I went.

I knew X-Pac had stint in XPW during his methed out lowpoint. I didn't know he held a title there. Looks like this was one of their last cards before they went defunct. Whoops. I didn't know Scorpio Sky got one of his first "big breaks" in XPW. He has to be the most successful XPW alum unless I'm forgetting someone.

Also I vaguely remember an XPW reunion show. I don't remember it being as early as 2008. And look X-Pac's representing Team XPW lol.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The XPW reunion show is actually on YouTube. I believe XEG bought the rights to the company, along with retail distribution for CZW and WSX, and they spearheaded it. Then went under.

Weird.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Yokozuna Tribute Show from 2001 seems wild. Idk it ended with the Headshrinkers reuniting to face DA HIT SQUAD. Plus WWF letting them have a random Brothers of Destruction Vs APA match. Did APA's run even overlap with Yoko's? I feel like he was on his way out the door by the time JBL and Faarooq showed up. Also Homicide fighting a Neo Nazi gimmick.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Yokozuna Tribute Show from 2001 seems wild. Idk it ended with the Headshrinkers reuniting to face DA HIT SQUAD. Plus WWF letting them have a random Brothers of Destruction Vs APA match. Did APA's run even overlap with Yoko's? I feel like he was on his way out the door by the time JBL and Faarooq showed up. Also Homicide fighting a Neo Nazi gimmick.
Kidman vs Low-Ki in 2001 sounds damn good. That's a really interesting card actually.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, Faarooq and Yokozuna were on teams that faced each other at Survivor Series 1996 and Bradshaw was on the roster then. But that also was somewhat of a random appearance by Yoko who I don’t think had been seen that much since the spring.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Had NO idea the Wild Samoans were still active in 1997. Not only that but Afa worked an indy multiman tag in 2014. Guys never really do retire. NOT ONLY THAT but they team with Disco Inferno, former JCP job guy Gene Ligon and some guy named The Big Cheese.

Plus The LOD randomly pop up. Weren't they in WWF by August '97? Also I feel this may be the only time Vic Steamboat & Ricky Steamboat were on the same card? Also also Vic Steamboat was still active in 1997?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Had NO idea the Wild Samoans were still active in 1997. Not only that but Afa worked an indy multiman tag in 2014. Guys never really do retire. NOT ONLY THAT but they team with Disco Inferno, former JCP job guy Gene Ligon and some guy named The Big Cheese.

Plus The LOD randomly pop up. Weren't they in WWF by August '97? Also I feel this may be the only time Vic Steamboat & Ricky Steamboat were on the same card? Also also Vic Steamboat was still active in 1997?
LOD came back to WWF in early 97. Around February I believe.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vic Steamboat is a good trivia answer to several questions.
IWCCW Legend. I always assumed he was someone who looked like Ricky Steamboat kayfabing he was Dragon's brother

To answer my own question, I feel like WWF guys were still allowed to work occasional indy dates until they started winning the Monday Night Wars in mid '98. Even then, I feel like undercard guys got to occasional indy dates throughout the MNW. Different times.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Vic had a good look. Hawaiian Paul Roma sorta.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I mean, Vinny Mac himself worked an indy date in '98 at the height of the Austin/McMahon feud. Different times.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vince McMahon showed up unannounced at a Chaotic Wrestling fundraiser show somewhere in the North Shore of Massachusetts randomly in '06/'07ish. IIRC, main event involved my former urinal neighbor Rick Fuller and current ROH star Brian Milonas and already had hometown hero (POTENTIAL FUTURE NEW ENGLAND MAN HALL OF FAMER?) John Cena special guest refereeing. Vince even took an FU.

I don't remember Vince showing up at an indy show in the '90s though.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I swear it happened though Google isn't helping my claim. I hope this isn't some mandala effect.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Not the same card, but Vic was used at least twice by JCP for heels to attack to build feuds with Ricky. Humperdink and Leroy Brown did it first, and JJ Dillon, Black Bart and Ron Bass did it again prior to Starrcade 84.

Didn't recall/know Vic was in WCW during the NWO era.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ Christchurch, New Zealand - April 7, 1990
Jim Powers vs. Abbuda Dein
Tom Magee vs. Royal Viking
The Pitbulls vs. Steve Strong & Mando Yanez
Norman Smiley vs. Bob Orton Jr.
Don Muraco defeated Haku
The Bushwhackers defeated Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zhukov

WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ Auckland, New Zealand - Mt. Smart Supertop - April 8, 1990
Jim Powers defeated Abbudaa Dein
Tom Magee defeated Royal Viking
The Pitbulls defeated Steve Strong & Mando Yanez
Don Muraco defeated Haku
Norman Smiley defeated Bob Orton Jr.

WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ Wellington, New Zealand - April 9, 1990
Jim Powers defeated Abbudaa Dein
Tom Magee defeated Royal Viking
The Pitbulls defeated Steve Strong & Mando Yanez
Don Muraco defeated Haku
Norman Smiley defeated Bob Orton Jr. via count-out

Then....

WWF @ Honolulu, HI - Blaisdell Arena - April 10, 1990 (8,000)
Jimmy Snuka defeated Greg Valentine
The Big Bossman defeated Ted Dibiase via disqualification after Virgil interfered
Tito Santana defeated Bret Hart
Jake Roberts defeated Rick Martel via disqualification after Martel sprayed Roberts in the eyes with Arrogance
WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition defeated Andre the Giant & Haku via count-out when Andre could not return to the ring; after the bout, Andre and Haku battled each other with the crowd being pro-Haku
WWF World Champion the Ultimate Warrior pinned Randy Savage with several clotheslines and a splash
Hulk Hogan pinned Mr. Perfect with the legdrop

Andre and Haku teaming post WM 6

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Those New Zealand cards are the worst I've ever seen. Yikes.
They went back post Mania the next year too:

WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ New Plymouth, New Zealand - April 2, 1991
Sivi Afi vs. Mad Dog from Baghdad
Don Muraco vs. Royal Viking
Jim Powers vs. the Genius
Koko B. Ware vs. the Brooklyn Brawler
The Bushwhackers vs. WWF Tag Team Champions the Nasty Boys

WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ Wanganui, New Zealand - April 3, 1991
Jim Powers pinned the Genius
Don Muraco pinned Mad Dog
Koko B. Ware pinned the Brooklyn Brawler
Sivi Afi pinned Angel
The Bushwhackers defeated the Nasty Boys via disqualification

WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ Hastings, New Zealand - Indoor Sports Stadium - April 4, 1991
Jim Powers pinned the Genius with a bodyslam
Don Muraco pinned the Mad Dog of Baghdad with the tombstone
Koko B. Ware defeated the Brooklyn Brawler
Sivi Afi pinned the Angel of Death with a flying crossbody
The Bushwhackers defeated WWF Tag Team Champions the Nasty Boys via disqualification

WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ Wellington, New Zealand - Magewick Stadium - April 5, 1991

WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ Palmerston North - April 6, 1991

WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ Nelson, New Zealand - April 7, 1991

WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ Christchurch, New Zealand - April 8, 1991

WWF / Arena Wrestling Alliance @ Masterton, New Zealand - April 9, 1991

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Jesus. Those aren't even funny-bad. You figure they all get 12-18 minutes, roughly. I fucking hate Sivi Afi and old Sivi Afi is beyond me.

I'll also just admit straight up I don't like Lanny Poffo and Jim Powers isn't the guy who'd change my mind.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jesus. Those aren't even funny-bad. You figure they all get 12-18 minutes, roughly. I fucking hate Sivi Afi and old Sivi Afi is beyond me.

I'll also just admit straight up I don't like Lanny Poffo and Jim Powers isn't the guy who'd change my mind.
For comparison here's the WWF's 1st tour in 1986:

WWF @ Sydney, Australia - Entertainment Center - July 4, 1986
Jose Luis Rivera defeated Jim Young
Tony Atlas defeated Terry Gibbs
SD Jones & Paul Roma defeated Jimmy Jack & Dory Funk Jr. via disqualification
Cpl. Kirchner defeated Nikolai Volkoff
Bob Orton Jr. defeated George Steele

WWF @ Perth, Australia - Entertainment Center - July 5, 1986
Jose Luis Rivera defeated Jim Young
Tony Atlas defeated Terry Gibbs
SD Jones & Paul Roma defeated Jimmy Jack & Dory Funk Jr. via disqualification
Bob Orton Jr. defeated George Steele via disqualification
Cpl. Kirchner defeated Nikolai Volkoff
WWF Women's Champion Velvet McIntyre defeated the Fabulous Moolah via disqualification

WWF @ Melbourne, Australia - Festival Hall - July 6, 1986
The Fabulous Moolah defeated Velvet McIntyre after the 15-minute mark
Paul Roma & SD Jones defeated Jimmy Jack & Dory Funk Jr. at around the 17-minute mark
Tony Atlas defeated Terry Gibbs at around the 8-minute mark
George Steele defeated Bob Orton Jr. via disqualification after Orton used a chair on his opponent
Cpl. Kirchner defeated Nikolai Volkoff at around the 12-minute mark

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did a dingo bite Vince? That's the only reason I can think why WWF would debut in a new country with a C show lineup.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That card has came up before and I always point out randomness of Steve Williams teaming up with Koko B. Ware. I hope Dr. Death did the bird bird bird.
For some reason, I really want to see washed Jake The Snake Vs young MVP but I might want to see Blue Meanie Vs Kamala even more. @BruiserBrody probably wants to see Bugsy McGraw Vs The Warlord.
Mike Graham is only rated at 2.83 on Cagematch. That seems not very nice tbh. But I guess neither was Mike Graham when he was on this mortal coil.