Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

CBS fall lineup

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
RavishingRickRudo said:
I can't think of any show that has/had a pregnant lead in it that was any good.
Married With Children, when both Katey Sagal and Peg Bundy were pregnant. Of course, Sagal lost the baby and the show was rewritten so that Peg's pregnancy was just a dream. But it still is an example of one that worked.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They like Itchy, they like Scratchy, one kid seems to love the Speedo man

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
The lady sitting in front of me made sure to note out loud that it was the worst show she'd ever seen. Then when my wife and I were at the store next door after the show I remarked that it wasn't any good, but not terrible like that one lady thought. Well the lady was in the store and half heard me mention the show so she re-iterated that it was the worst show she'd ever seen and went off on a tangent.

As for the functionally retarded comment, many people couldn't follow simple instructions at all, and yes they spoke English. I don't expect everyone to be good with computers, but they just had us using a touch screen monitor made for idiots with everything clearly laid out. One guy in particular managed to somehow have issues with EVERY SCREEN that we dealt with.

Example: "Push the next button marked right there in the center of the screen. It will ask for the screening code. Enter L1"
This guy managed to push the next button, but he just stared at the box where it asks for the screening code. After sitting there for a minute and realizing everyone else has moved on he starts pushing the next button and seems confused that nothings happened. After being informed to enter L1 or whatever the code actually was several times he finally moved onto the next screen, where he was stumped again.

Truly these are the people you want deciding what YOU will watch this fall.

RavishingRickRudo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
More specifically, when a show starts with a pregnant lead. Though pregnancy is usually a shark jumper as well. There's only so much you can do with it, and none of it is funny. Well, the actual birth scene is funny cause it usually involves the woman being super-strong and insane while the man is clueless and scared-shitless.

... so why not just have a show based around that? Jenna Elfman has sporadic bursts of insane strength while Joey Lawrence throws out some whoas.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's how cliche this show is. Near the end of the pilot Elfman is kicking out her baby daddy and his friends because of all the 'wacky' stuff they've done to her place, but then she opens the door to some room and sees he's turned it into a nursery. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww. And yes sappy music plays and instantly they can all stay. Even though one of the friends turned her grandma's urn into a bong. Hilarity she wrote.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Smues said:
Here's how cliche this show is. Near the end of the pilot Elfman is kicking out her baby daddy and his friends because of all the 'wacky' stuff they've done to her place, but then she opens the door to some room and sees he's turned it into a nursery. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww. And yes sappy music plays and instantly they can all stay. Even though one of the friends turned her grandma's urn into a bong. Hilarity she wrote.

Smues, come on, we have spoiler tags for a reason. Now Accidentally On Purpose is somewhat ruined for me.

Besides Oh Baby, what other shows started with a pregnant lead?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
wnyxmcneal said:
Smues said:

Smues, come on, we have spoiler tags for a reason. Now Accidentally On Purpose is somewhat ruined for me.

Besides Oh Baby, what other shows started with a pregnant lead?

The closest thing I could think of was that REBA show with the pregnant teen daughter.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Family Guy technically had someone pregnant from the beginning until damn near a decade later, if you count that one.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Smues said:
The lady sitting in front of me made sure to note out loud that it was the worst show she'd ever seen. Then when my wife and I were at the store next door after the show I remarked that it wasn't any good, but not terrible like that one lady thought. Well the lady was in the store and half heard me mention the show so she re-iterated that it was the worst show she'd ever seen and went off on a tangent.

As for the functionally retarded comment, many people couldn't follow simple instructions at all, and yes they spoke English. I don't expect everyone to be good with computers, but they just had us using a touch screen monitor made for idiots with everything clearly laid out. One guy in particular managed to somehow have issues with EVERY SCREEN that we dealt with.

Example: "Push the next BUTTon marked right there in the center of the screen. It will ask for the screening code. Enter L1"
This guy managed to push the next BUTTon, but he just stared at the box where it asks for the screening code. After sitting there for a minute and realizing everyone else has moved on he starts pushing the next BUTTon and seems confused that nothings happened. After being informed to enter L1 or whatever the code actually was several times he finally moved onto the next screen, where he was stumped again.

Truly these are the people you want deciding what YOU will watch this fall.
I've done the MGM test screening thing (but a few years back now) and I can vouch for Smues on the fact that there will be idiots during these things, people who take things seriously and smartasses like, well, us.

Oh yeah, I got to preview Charlie Lawrence. If I could do it over again I'd probably spend that hour hitting the tables instead.

Big Green

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just randomly asking,

What would happen if someone did the inverse of "Accidentally?" Meaning a well-adjusted middle aged businessman knocking up a young woman and letting her live with him.

This whole "LET'S EMPOWER WOMEN! COUGAR! BOY-TOY!" shit that started with Sex in the City and continued with Desperate Housewives is getting out of hand.