Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Chicken Wings

dx1997

Integral Poster
Reaction score
After eating lots and lots of wings all my life, I have to ask everyone, what's your favorite flavor and place to eat or get them from?

I love Honey Garlic, Some Mild, and Some Cajun flavors.

As for places to eat, here in Toronto, we have some decent places if you ever come to visit.

There is this place call All-Stars, they apparently offer 100 flavors and I recommend it. There's also Shoeless Joes, which does wings really great as well. A darkhorse place is out in the West end of the city called Coopers. They do their wings really great as well.

There's a bunch of Tuesday specials around the city so the best days to get wings would be then.

So, your favorite flavors and places you would recommend in your city?

Reaction score
I love the regular buffalo wings.

I usually get them from BW3's, Hooters, Wings ETC (twice), or I make my own.

I love the breading on Hooters wings.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Wingstop, the atomic wings are good and hot. I also like their garlic parmesean and hawaiian flavors.

Hooters Wings, as much as everyone likes to say sucks, are actually pretty decent if you ask me, and all you can eat for $8 or so every wednesday night is a pretty good deal.

Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
Wingstop, the atomic wings are good and hot. I also like their garlic parmesean and hawaiian flavors.

Hooters Wings, as much as everyone likes to say sucks, are actually pretty decent if you ask me, and all you can eat for $8 or so every wednesday night is a pretty good deal.

Interesting deal that I did not know about.... thanks for the heads up.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Being in Buffalo, I can pretty much go in anywhere and get a good chicken wing.

If anyone ever finds themselves (unfortunately) in the area...do yourself a favor. Don't go to BW3s or another chain. Those are shitty wings. You get your best wings in any mom and pops Pizza place that's on every street corner. For some reason tourists don't seem to know that.

Tawren

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I looove chicken wings~ Hot wings especially. Not suicide because it's too hard for me to eat, but definitely super hot.

Edmonton mostly sucks for wings. No real cheap nights, mostly 0.35 cents on Wednesdays most places. There used to be a place with 0.10 cent wings but they sucked and now they've raised prices. I find picking up wings from the local M&M Meat Shop is the best option

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
About 20 years ago is when I first remember seeing "buffalo wings" but I'm sure they have been around before that. Extended family members in Texas showed us how to make them with frozen "party wings" from safeway, a 6oz bottle of Louisianna hot sauce (like the Crystal name brand style) mixed with a stick of BUTTer. You cook the wings for about 30 min on a sheet in the oven, take them out, dunk em in the sauce then another 30 min. Keep the sauce on hand to dunk 'em if you like them spicier. You can skip the 60 minutes in the oven if you have a deep frier but then you don't have that "cooked in" sauce goodness.

For a local place, in the "buffalo wings" vein, "T's diner" in San Francisco had a sign that was the silhouette of a chicken sitting in a frying pan, screaming fire out it's beak while being cooked, presumably, alive. Several boasts about their hot wings and varieties of sauce got me to hit them up but I don't think they were any better than a Hooters restaurant to be honest. At least they offered order sizes up to 50 wings at a time so you didn't look crazy buying a bunch for parties. Nice thing is they offer crudities with it for free but they default to blue cheese rather than ranch as the side, so remember to ask for ranch if you're a fan of ranch.

As far as fried chicken wings go I like breaded or battered in some way. I remember grabbing some "hot wings" from KFC in high school and losing my mind at how good they were. I have to clarify though as apparently the San Francisco, Bay Area, KFCs have some kind of completely different layout on their menu from the rest of the world and I've shit deep in this conversation before. They look like the "fiery buffalo" wings here http://www.kfc.com/menu/chicken_wings.asp but they have no sauce on them at all, just that breading and they offer the flavors on the side. (On a side note, we have ZERO access to the "boneless wings" they serve at all either, so strange...) Sizzler serves the same wings, basically, in their all you can eat salad bar hot section, if you have a Sizzler around for reference. I love that style with the KFC hot sauce in little black packets which I'd say is basically Louisiana Hot sauce again.

My sister is a recent convert to Popeye's chicken. Before that, the only time I'd heard anyone talk about Popeye's chicken was a standup comedian at Cobb's who said, "If you are forced to choose between a piece of chicken on the ground and a bucket of Popeye's chicken, you eat the chicken on the ground." ::)

As to spicy stuff vs. mild or whatever, my dad was an amateur "eater-of-hot-shit" so I was raised around a lot of that crap. I'm not so amazing pro but I find no spice really in stuff like Crystal or Tabasco sauce level spice. There was a short lived, spicy Crystal and that is about the level I start noticing the heat. I don't think it's worth eating if there is no actual taste to the spicier stuff but I also hate when the sauce might as well be ketchup!

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The best wings I've ever had are from a place called Riverview Restaurant & Tavern in Campbellford, Ontario. I make sure to go there anytime I'm in the area, preferring the ranch and honey teriyaki flavours.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
dx1997 said:
After eating lots and lots of wings all my life, I have to ask everyone, what's your favorite flavor and place to eat or get them from?

I love Honey Garlic, Some Mild, and Some Cajun flavors.

As for places to eat, here in Toronto, we have some decent places if you ever come to visit.

There is this place call All-Stars, they apparently offer 100 flavors and I recommend it. There's also Shoeless Joes, which does wings really great as well. A darkhorse place is out in the West end of the city called Coopers. They do their wings really great as well.

There's a bunch of Tuesday specials around the city so the best days to get wings would be then.

So, your favorite flavors and places you would recommend in your city?

Duffs and Einstein's (both on College St.) laugh in the direction of your pussy-ass Shoeless Joe's wings.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Which is the famous one in Buffalo? Duff's? I went there the Saturday before a Bills game once, it was pretty fucking good.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anchor Bar is the place where they originated...that's the one that most people head out to. I've lived here for most of my 30 years...and I've never actually eaten there.

Duffs is also popular.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
Both Duffs and Anchor Bar are the best in Buffalo, and are the best in the Western New York region.

At home I always head out to the Reeb House and when I'm in Calgary, The Rusty Cage is a good spot to get wings as well.

RavishingRickRudo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had some grilled wings from pump and patio that sorta blew my mind. Not necessarily big, but tasty as fuck. With rubicon (rip) burned down, it's an ok alternative for the area.

Can't believe we got a coopers reference on the board, too.

DCH

The Every Night Delight
Reaction score
I hate wings. In fact, I hate all meat with bone in it. The boneless wings are nice though.

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
DCH said:
I hate wings. In fact, I hate all meat with bone in it. The boneless wings are nice though.

Gary Larsen to the rescue...
farside.jpg

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't understand the obsession with these wing places of placing "spiciness" over flavour. A lot of the chains around here advertise how hot their wings are. I just want wings that taste good!

Yes. I'll gladly shit through the eye of a needle the next day if the wings actually taste good. I don't get the frat-boy mentality of "bet you can't handle how hot our wings are" either.

To add to both the above point and the discussion, I've always been partial to a dozen buffalo wings; not too saucy, and a little crispy. That's just my preference, I'm not picky about how they're ultimately prepared.

I don't want to say I'm a wing purist, but I've been historically cautious about any type of wings other than hot or honey bbq. But at dinner with my mother in 2007, she coaxed me into trying Thai and dill pickle wings. She was right about Thai food, Indian food, and Vietnamese food (and I'm surprisingly close-minded about the foodstuff of other cultures), so I gave 'em a shot. I really liked both, but that's still the long and short of my venture.

I've surely mentioned Wacky Wings in the Falls that boasts 150 different kinds of wings, which seems kind of silly to me.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're not kidding.

menu5.jpg

Talk about overkill. Some of these sound like they could be really good though.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So as someone heading to Buffalo- where should I eat my wings? I think my friend insists we go to one of the place that claims to invent them.

But what's the best place?

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
wnyxmcneal said:
So as someone heading to Buffalo- where should I eat my wings? I think my friend insists we go to one of the place that claims to invent them.

But what's the best place?

It is tempting to try the Anchor Bar, and it's not like you'll be disappointed, but I wasn't blown away. Someone mentioned Mom&Pop restaurants (although that might have been the Chicago thread) - I'll take that side, but if I'm going to suggest a place, try the Pearl St. Bar and Grill. On Sabres game nights, they have an all-you-can-eat buffet of pizza, wings, ziti, and beef on wick. Only the wings were memorably good, so I more than filled up on that.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know if you drink beer or not, but they had an impressive number of microbreweries. I tried a Don Cherry. It was terrible, it tasted like a mixture of cough syrup and beer, but I couldn't not get a beer named Don Cherry.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not a beer drinker, but my friends will be. We're only gonna be in Buffalo for one night, so I think we only have room for one wings place.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The worst part about that wacky wings place is that you can't start splitting up flavors until you order at least 40 wings. What a bunch of bitches.

Dandy

Reaction score
When I owned a “restaurant,” I had twelve wing sauces. Butter was never an ingredient and sriracha was a sauce in and of itself that I called Fiery Garlic.