Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Classic Rock Songs that just fuckin' suck

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yo, I will not tolerate belittling Bryan Adams. Summer of '69 and Heaven are classics.

The song he wrote for Robin Hood was ass, though.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Local radio station played the shit out of this song when it came out. When me and my older brother shared a room, he would set his alarm clock to said station and they would play this every morning. This song haunted me every morning before elementary school.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was great when GOB sang it on Arrested Development but man is it a hunk of Gouda and not the type of thing Def Leppard should be trying to make which was original point I was trying to make IRT Adrenalize.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On this Super Bowl Sunday, let's remember that period in the mid-late '00s when the moral majority freaked the fuck out over Janet Jackson's nipple ring so we got a bunch of increasingly lame boomer centric Halftime Shows (most of which were actually decent but nothing to write home about. Prince was major exception), culminating with old ass The Who doing a halftime show no one asked for (sorry @The Valeyard ).

Then everybody was like "Enough of this boomer shit or we're gonna end up with an REO Speedwagon halftime show at this rate." then they did a Black Eyed Peas Halftime Show (ft Slash), which everyone hated even worse.

Although now I'm afraid we're never gonna get another classic rock band to do a halftime show. Give us a Guns N Roses Halftime Show, Goodell, you coward!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Boomer Super Bowl Halftime show era gave us this at least

crotch-dive.gif

Why wasn't the Boss' crotch demonized as much as the Janet nipple.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band was really good but them only doing a 12 minute set seems like real anachronistic.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
You really are passive aggressive these days.

The Who were the worst show post-titty, though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rolling Stone interviewed Mitch Malloy, the guy who briefly sang for Van Halen in 1995 between Sammy Hagar's 1st stint and DLR's super short 2nd stint ("Me Wise Magic" FTW) cause I guess they are at the intense boredom stage of the pandemic now too.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
This song was all the rage in 1999... very incelly in re-listening to it now. The song itself is just so there from the singing to the musicality. It basically hangs on the chorus hook (which helps). You're A God blows this one away in nearly every facet except maybe the chorus hook.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
It is absolutely not. Adult contemporary af. @HarleyQuinn is banned from visiting the NEW ENGLAND MAN HALL OF FAME for 3 days for this digression!
I'll have you know that Vertical's You're A God is definitely closer to the Bon Jovi rock leanings of this type of "Classic Rock" thread to be fair even if that isn't considered a "Classic" rock song.

Speaking of Bon Jovi... I need the @King Kamala hot take if It's My Life is legitimately good or not. Dig the guitar work and shout-a-long chorus but that vocal 'Whoa Whoa' noise is very annoying and overused throughout the song. It's super strong for the first minute & 1/2 of the song (the opening 2 lines are legit some of my favorite opening lyrics to a song) but it doesn't feel like it does anything else during the rest of the song to take it beyond that. I don't know if I can decide if the strong opening means it's a great song or if it's just a blah song when taken as a whole.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think "It's My Life" is pretty good attempt to update Bon Jovi's sound to the year 2000 but there are aspects of production that make it sound TOO year 2000-y.

Interesting you bring them up, @HarleyQuinn , cause I meant to pose a question ITT earlier in this week; has Bon Jovi replaced The Doors as the most frequently mentioned band when it comes to "Classic rock that fuckin' sucks?" I feel like mentioning Bon Jovi brings up a visceral disgust amongst music fans that used to happen when the Doors were brought up 20 years ago.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WTF, the Doors are all-time greats. Who thinks they suck (besides Laz, probably)?

Reactions: Laz

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I can let the VH hate slide but disrespecting "It's My Life" AND the Doors? It's like I don't know who you guys are anymore.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WTF, the Doors are all-time greats. Who thinks they suck (besides Laz, probably)?
A lot of Xers and elder millennials hate them but I think it’s more based on Oliver Stone’s The Doors and Ray Manzarek showing up on fucking every classic rock retrospective from the ‘90s & ‘00s and annoyingly waxing rhapsodic about Jim Morrison’s genius.

since Ray Manzarek died in 2013 and the much more soft spoken (and it seems much more in tune with Morrison philosophically) John Densmore replaced him as guy who is interviewed about the Doors, I think people appreciate them as the great rock band that they were.

Jim Morrison was an absolute fucking knob though IRL and would probably be a MAGA guy if he were around today.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
First Doors album is badass. A lot of the super pretentious Morrison shine seems to have gone away, though.

"It's My Life" got used in the "death" montage for my high school's Every 15 Minutes project (elaborate and fucked up drunk driving awareness thing, if anyone didn't have it). I can't hear it without it ending with screeching tires and this girl I had English with going through a windshield.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Even the Doors "sellout" stuff (The Soft Parade) I like. It's hilarious with the Morrison masterbatory shine and brass section.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also the stupid in fighting amongst surviving members and the weird Doors of the 21st Century revival (with Ian Astbury and Stewart Copeland replacing Morrison and John Densmore plus an actual bass player for some reason?) also hurt their reputation. I feel like Ian Astbury leading a Doors revival might have been cool in 1992 but in 2002, it was like "WTH is this garbage?"

Can't forget the VH1 Storytellers from 2000 with the surviving members backing up Astbury, Scott Weiland, the guy from Train, and GD SCOTT STAPP!

I don't begrudge Manzarek and Krieger for trying to make a living and keep the memory of their old friend alive but man oh man, they went about it the wrong way for a while.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
People tend to forget that Doors also had two records following Morrison's death with Ray and Robbie on vocals. This actually came out a year after the incident: