Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Classic rock stars that just fuckin’ died

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seems like this could be the end of ZZ Top. Billy Gibbons has been doing a lot of solo stuff the past 10 years and even though they just did a show without Dusty just the other night, cannot imagine them continuing without him full time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I'm legit pissed Jerry Lee Lewis is outliving these people.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
She is blowing the Founding Fathers and the starting lineup of the 1927 New York Yankees in Heaven rn.

Dandy

Reaction score
My first concert was The Monkees (along with Herman’s Hermits and The Grass Roots). Nesmith did not participate if I am remembering correctly.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He didn't play regularly again with the Monkees until after Davy Jones died in 2012. Weirdly, I think it took one of his bandmates dying for him to realize how much people loved what the band did.

Nice touching article from their manager on Michael Nesmith & Micky Dolenz's farewell tour that just wrapped up three week ago.

Monkees were always on my backburner of "Oh yeah. It'd be a real fun concert to see." I passed up chances to see the aforementioned Davy Jones/Micky Dolenz/Peter Tork lineup then the Micky Dolenz/Peter Tork/Michael Nesmith lineup then Micky Dolenz/Michael Nesmith's farewell tours (and Michael Nesmith reuniting his early '70s country rock band). Micky Dolenz is playing a show with Felix Cavaliere outside Boston next month so I suppose I have one last show but eh, like I want to travel to Lynn...

Also The Monkees died in reverse order that I would have expected them to. Tork and Nesmith's order would have been interchangable but I definitely would've predicted Dolenz to go first since he was one of the Hollywood Vampires with John Lennon and Harry Nilsson and Jones to go last since he seemed so boyish and spritely even into late middle age. Random unnecessary personal anecdote: my younger brother met Davy Jones a few times at the restaurant my brother worked at during college.

Last edited:

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
As a kid I always thought of the Monkees as being a marketing product with no good music but it sounds like they actually made some good stuff. Will have to check some of it out.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
absolutely devastated about Nez. He was somewhat of a childhood hero of mine after watching Monkees reruns on MTV in the 80s.

he did not look well recently

just gutted

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As a kid I always thought of the Monkees as being a marketing product with no good music but it sounds like they actually made some good stuff. Will have to check some of it out.
They were definitely a very good if not great '60s pop band. Jann Wenner and his buttsniffers criticized them for not writing all of their own songs and using session musicians to play instrumental parts but the vast majority of bands in that era did the same thing. Including bands Jann Wenner and co. loved like The Beach Boys and The Byrds*. I think the Monkees are up there in Top 10 maybe even Top 5 or higher for bands that inspired the most people to form bands.

If The Monkees do get inducted next year into the RRHOF, which I think is certainly possible now that it's fan voting based, I hope Micky tells them to frigg off considering what jerks what rock critics have been to them over the decades.

*even if listening to their music was as embarrassing as walking in on your parents having sex

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sorry I was referencing an old @Incandenza post making fun of Pitchfork's review of The Notorious Byrd Brothers. That's the last time I try to seem cool. I own several The Byrds CDs (and prefer their country rock era) and no way associate them with parents sex!

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Those country-rock records Nesmith did in the 70s are really, really good and are worth seeking out if all you know is the Monkees.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I do take some small comfort in the fact that she lived to see her sonuvabitch’s ex-husband’s downfall and demise.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"A Whiter Shade of Pale" is one of the GOAT oldies. There was a great music video of it from some weird '80s compilation of (then) modern music videos to oldies starring Harry Dean Stanton. Not on YouTube. I'm pretty sure I didn't Mandela Effect it but who knows?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
He drummed on Maiden's best records. That can't be taken for granted.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sorry, didn’t see this posted in here before I started a separate thread. I’m just shellshocked right now. The Foos are my favorite band ever. I’ve seen them 6 times, most recently at the local House of Blues when they did a surprise show during the weekend of their HOF induction. It was cool to be part of that moment at the time. It’ll probably stick with me the rest of my life now.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In my research, probably the most notable classic rock star to not have his own Wikipedia entry. Hopefully now that changes!

I always thought the bass playing on some of those early Bon Jovi records is kind of underrated but there was always the rumor that all of the bass playing on the record was done by their current bass player so who knows.