Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Cobra Kai

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm still going by my original prediction from a few years ago that Barnes goes into business for himself. Maybe he makes Silver believe he's on his side again only to turn on him and also having a grunge against Daniel for pretty much ruining his career.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Judging as an adult, the stakes were higher in KK2, but for some reason Mike Barnes scared me more as a child. I had nightmares about him as recently as the first Karate Kid DVD box set release (old enough to not be scared of fictional karate bad boys).

That said, Johnny, Chozen, and Barnes were all teens during their storylines. They had a whole 30 years of life to grow into better or shittier people. I give props to the writers for writing believable arcs for Johnny and Chozen. While I would love them to gimmick another redemption story for Mike Barnes, it would be nearly unbelievable to have a hat trick.

I'm totally on board with Kreese and Silver remaining shit bags through out the last 40 years. We had an entire movie where Sato went from villain to sympathetic. It was done so well, I wish the film was longer to let good guy Sato get more screen time. But his villainy was still rooted in an honor system that no one challenged him on until shit really hit the fan. No one held him accountable because they feared him, but once he realized how fucked up he had been living, he changed. I don't see Kreese or Silver going that route.

Any redemption from those two would have too many strings attached. Kreese would only take out Silver now out of spite and revenge. Any alliance he'd form with Eagle Fang or Miyagi-do would be a brief marriage of convenience. I believe he would immediately turn right back into an antagonist if he got even with Silver.

I feel the same way about bringing Barnes in. I don't know what his story will be, and I'm sure it'll be written well. But armchair quarterbacking, I see him coming in bitter and self serving. Like my fan fic above about Kreese, anything he does with other characters will have strings attached. An alliance with Silver will be to get even with Daniel and then he'll swiftly turn on Silver. An alliance with Miyagi-do will be the same. An alliance with Johnny will just result in a season of Daniel Larusso whining about "watch out for that guy, he's dirty, I'm telling you, back in the 80s he was mean to me and my friends!" Since Johnny and Miguel are on a trip in a side plot to find Robbie for an undetermined amount of episodes, I don't know that this hypothetical plotline would have time to breathe. And there will be not enough time for Barnes to just show up to fuck with everyone as a solo act (with or without his own dojo behind him). Every main character, save for Johnny, should be on Mike's shit list. And if Barnes and Johnny interact, I predict Barnes being dismissive of him at the most pleasant end, and completely deriding him until they come to blows at the least pleasant end.

Can't wait.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
With all the returning characters and the way they’re being introduced, this series has a very Double Dragon III vibe to it. I like it. I feel like some of that stuff should be in spoiler tags since it hasn’t aired yet but that’s just me.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Season 5 was really good. I felt the 2nd half was stronger than the 1st half. Will bullet point my thoughts.

- Loved the exposing of Silver at the end being done by the kids and seeing Tory as the equivalent of a young(er) Johnny Lawrence in this series. I do hope the Kenny/Robby stuff gets wrapped up a little better.
- Kreese breaking out at the end was great stuff. I have to imagine a Season 6 is coming and that the Sekai Takai (sp?) will still happen? Maybe? I feel like the evil woman Sensei will be the new antagonist.
- Tory/Robby and Sam/Miguel being together at the end was expected. It's a nice closure in case Season 6 doesn't happen for whatever reason.
- Chozen was fantastic throughout the season. The egg stuff was a particular highlight for me.
- I did feel like Daniel LaRusso was kind of a background character at times with Johnny getting far more screen time with his family stuff. I think the show's strength is the kids but it's starting to kind of seem like retreading the same ground when it comes to some stories e.g. the near brawl at the pool place, the end big battle scene which reminded me of the fight at the LaRusso's home, etc.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Such wonderful storytelling. I know in my heart I love this because of the Karate Kid nostalgia and shows like Stranger Things are probably comparatively critically better (or maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges). I loved this. My expectations were exceeded. Any criticism I would make would be petty and ultimately irrelevant to the show as a whole. Just so well done.

I did find it out of left field the way they "killed" Kreese in the beginning but the payoff was excellent

And I don't think this is a spoiler per se but
They definitely amped up the language and blood for this season. The blood wasn't distracting but by the time we got to the "no mercy motherfucker" note it kind of lost it's oomph for this show.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Was this the last season? The final episode had some last episode vibes to it, and there wasn't a huge cliff hanger other than Kreese, but even that kind of felt like more of a write off of the character instead of him coming back. In fact, I don't know how you could even bring back the character without it being really forced and silly. He assaulted multiple police officers, and broke out of jail. He can't ever run another dojo. He's also really old, can't move well, has no money and no real connections. So him being on the run doesn't really make a ton of sense.

Other than that everything basically seemed to wrap up. There isn't really a big villain out there (the female with Silver would be a huge step down from Silver or Kreese). All the relationships seemed to wrap up without drama, and Cobra Kai disbanded.

Last edited:

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
No official word from Netflix about season 6 but the creators/producers have always said they had enough material for six seasons.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So I've read the Karate Kid film is not with the Cobra Kai writers attached at all (they are busy rebooting the Ferris Bueller franchise apparently), bit concerning where the direction will be, like is this going to be a sequel to the remake with Will Smith's kid? Gawd I certainly hope not. I'm hopeful maybe they reconsider and move this to perhaps even a 2025 release, and do a big season 6 that builds to it? But where would you go with a full film from all of this? Perhaps Kreese and Johnny join up again and we are back to kinda a square one redux of the past, but not sure if that is really the direction that would make sense.

Binged season 5 over the weekend and once again, such an easy watch that just makes me want more. I agree that this KINDA felt like this could be the finale of the series if it comes to it as particularly with the kids storylines, everything kinda arced pretty well.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Just announced the next season will be its last. I only really expected the show to go 3-4 seasons so the fact that it got 6 is phenomenal.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just announced the next season will be its last. I only really expected the show to go 3-4 seasons so the fact that it got 6 is phenomenal.
Sad that it's the final season but really impressed this went from a Youtube TV series to a global phenomenon through Netflix and revitalized so many careers while creating new ones too.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With the exception of Cousin Louie, I'd be open to most of the side characters getting some manner of a spinoff. So many good things on both the good and bad sides.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
With the exception of Cousin Louie, I'd be open to most of the side characters getting some manner of a spinoff. So many good things on both the good and bad sides.
Damn who doesn’t like cousin Louie? When he burns Johnny’s car lmao