Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

College FOOTBAW 2020: COVID Style

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
So Connecticut was the first FBS program to cancel football for the upcoming Fall. Now breaking news that the MAC is cancelling football completely for the entire conference, the first FBS conference to do so.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All levels, especially smaller, should cancel or postpone to spring. The school should also honor the scholarships to the STUDENT-athletes.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Now the Mountain West has officially postponed the college football season.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not sure if this fits here, but my alma mater lost one of our own to cancer, Dalton Hilliard, Jr. He is the son of Saints legend Dalton Hilliard and related to all the Hillards this state produces and sends to the NFL. He was a feisty player and a rowdy 18-21 year old. In recent times he was a married man with a new baby and using the education he received thanks to his scholarship. Real blow to the south Louisiana community.

It's a reminder that only TWO percent of these college students are going to go pro (1 percent in basketball and I don't have the statistics for MLB b/c the farm systems really screw with my numbers) and the rest are just trying to get a damn education. One single player dies of the virus, their death is on the hands of the people forcing them to play in a pandemic. I don't care if it is the star QB at LSU or the 5th string long snapper at a random JUCO. This stuff is my favoritest thing in the whole wide world, and as arrogant as it is, I think I have the credibility as a fan to support cancel/postpone.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Big 10 Has Cancelled Football, May Try Spring

Not sure how these conferences would handle Spring football. At best they would have to start in January/February (ending in May for most school graduations) and would players even be allowed to compete after graduation if they aren't technically students anymore? How would weather in January or February impact games and travel?

That's not even going into the logistics of playing Spring football then starting up practices in July/August and a brand new season in late August or early September on a super short turnaround.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure graduation wouldn't be an issue since baseball, softball, track, and other spring athletes have their seasons end well into May/June. The rest of it, who knows?

Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone who thinks they'll get drafted will bail on spring football. Maybe there will be a season, but probably not.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sometimes, if you wait long enough, even something like the Big Ten will do the right thing.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pac-12 is done. It's down to the "it's all a big hoax state" conferences, although I've read that if the Big-12 and calls it, the ACC and SEC will cave.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What's going to get really alarming is if the big conferences do cancel and the small schools don't, how many people are going to flood the FCS games just to see live football. The financial gain in the short term would be great but again we're going to have large crowds of people gathering in one spot during a pandemic. FCS, D2, D3, and NAIA need to postpone/cancel.

We can delay graduation, we can delay camp, we can delay the draft. It is not a set in stone MUST to hold these things on certain schedules.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
What's going to get really alarming is if the big conferences do cancel and the small schools don't, how many people are going to flood the FCS games just to see live football. The financial gain in the short term would be great but again we're going to have large crowds of people gathering in one spot during a pandemic. FCS, D2, D3, and NAIA need to postpone/cancel.

We can delay graduation, we can delay camp, we can delay the draft. It is not a set in stone MUST to hold these things on certain schedules.

I don't think we'll have to worry too much about that at least at the FCS level. If member schools refuse to play games, I can't imagine the conferences would try to go forward without them.

"Nine of the 13 FCS conferences in the lower half of Division I have announced they won't play a conference schedule, and only two - CAA Football and the Missouri Valley Football Conference - have left the decision to play nonconference games up to their member schools. The Big South, Ohio Valley, Southern, and Southland conferences held presidents-level meetings last week, but have yet to announce their direction."

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

I don't know how or why these conferences think they can pull off a season when they can't even do that shit right. There are similar complaints at Florida State.

I read that Rutgers had to send the majority of their players home after some positive tests since like June or some shit.

Rutgers Had 30 Players Test Positive

"Schiano, who was hired in December for a second tour with the struggling Scarlet Knights, said the majority of the positive tests came in the past three weeks, after the team suspended activity following a report of six positives. There were only four positive tests the first six weeks.

Schiano said that there were 30-31 total cases and that all the players are doing well. Only two remain quarantined. Half the group showed no symptoms, he said, and the worst case was like a very bad flu where the player sweated "through the sheets."

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Further proof that colleges are scum fuck organizations... https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...rius-guice-accused-rape-while-lsu/3391053001/

USA Today reports free agent RB Derrius Guice was accused of rape twice as a college freshman in 2016.

A USA TODAY investigation found that the women’s allegations were shared at the time with multiple people at the school — including at least two coaches, an athletics administrator and a nurse — yet the school does not appear to have investigated.

The woman, a former LSU tennis player, spoke at length with an investigator for Washington on Aug. 6 — one day before Guice’s arrest and subsequent release. The investigator interviewed the woman for three and a half hours.

One woman said Guice showed up uninvited to a party she was hosting, then entered her bedroom while she was sleeping and raped her. The other woman, the tennis player, said Guice raped her when she allowed him into her home after meeting him for the first time at a bar.

The first woman said Guice threatened and harassed her after she told others she did not consent to having sex with him.

According to the women and six friends and family members interviewed by USA TODAY, school officials at the time didn’t believe the women and provided questionable explanations as to why their alleged assaults wouldn’t be investigated. The women say no one from the university ever interviewed them or potential witnesses about the allegations.

The former tennis player said her alleged rape was reported to the school’s Title IX office, but that it was never investigated. She requested a copy of the report on Aug. 13 and agreed to share it with USA TODAY, but she said LSU has not yet provided it.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Several college games kick off today including Middle Tennessee/Army, SMU/Texas State and Arkansas State/Memphis!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Hell Yeah! There's actually a lot of former NFL players who end up becoming HCs at the FCS & Division II level. In some ways I think it's a better starting point because they usually have to do actual coaching at those levels since they don't have the premium talent of most FBS programs. Also much like the FBS there are certain conferences which are much tougher than others and just because you were a great college/NFL player doesn't mean you can just make a program into a dominant one from year 1.

Just on the FCS side: Ed McCaffrey is at Northern Colorado, Autry Denson is at Charleston Southern, Mike Minter is at Campbell, Tyrone Wheatley is at Morgan State, Fred McNair's been at Alcorn State.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm all for it if Deion Sanders kicks off the Jackson State home opener by singing "Must Be The Money" with the marching band.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gave me goosebumps to read that. Jackson State is a VERY reasonable drive from here and I'd totally go see them play just for the novelty of seeing Prime Time Neon shaping lives in a coaching capacity.

Had the benefit of seeing Super Bowl legend Doug Williams coaching a hot Grambling team in 2001. Every time we'd come up with a zinger of a group taunt that he'd hear (band sits behind visitors bench, not sure if that's the norm for all FCS?) he'd turn around to face us, point at his Super Bowl ring, then go back to the game. Damn good game, too.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Costello diced that LSU D up for like 600+ (623) passing yards and also set an SEC record for passing yards in a game. Texas also survived Texas Tech in an NBA style shootout.

Louisiana Tech won over Houston Baptist 66-38. QB Bailey Zappe threw for 406 and 5 TD for Houston.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Low key glad Houston Baptist decided to buck the SLC and play the fall if their QB is any indication.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good/depressing story. How anyone could think that college football players don't deserve to be paid after reading this, I wouldn't know.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, the irony:

I saw (maybe wrong here) that Ole Miss/Vanderbilt moved their game due to a possible outbreak. Fake Edit: It was Missouri/Vanderbilt

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Nick Saban tested positive for COVID. Saban gonna death glare COVID into submission.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
COVID wrecking shit. Air Force/Army and Tulsa/Navy postponed. Arizona/Utah and Florda International/UTEP both got cancelled.