Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Conan is ending in June 2021

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Moving over to some sort of weekly variety show on HBO Max.

Can't say I'm shocked as he's been slowly winding down for the last few years. Getting bumped to a half hour a year or so back and now this. I'm amazed his TBS run has lasted as long as it did considering no one really talks about it. Conan is my guy and I only watched a small handful of episodes a year (usually when comics I know and/or like are on).

Still a sad day. I only have seven months left to fulfill my bucket list goals; "Perform on Conan" and "Reunite with my estranged father Andy Richter".

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah not a surprise at all. You can see all that all the Jay drama took a ton out of him and he lost a lot of his passion which honestly I can't blame him. In the end, he's too nice for the cutthroat backstabbing industry of late night tv hosting. There's always gonna be an asshole like Leno sucking up and getting all the support despite someone like Conan who is from what I've read an incredibly nice person that treats most of his employees extremely well and is a much more creative and funny person than Jay.

I was born in 88 and I was too young for Letterman and missed his original 80's run, but I remember tuning into Conan in 2000 when he interviewed Triple H and it blew my mind and I've been a huge fan ever since. The level of skits Conan was able to do imo was so much more consistent than the sketches on SNL. Some of his bits are absolute classics that hold up amazingly like the Walker Level or the skit where him and Mr. T go to a pumpkin patch or whenever him, Joel, and Max did those skits where they showed photos of various parties they have. I''ve always preferred Conan with Max and Joel as his primary sidekicks than Conan with Andy. Conan's awkward chemistry with Max always made me laugh and both Joel and Max were absolutely game for anything. Like some of the stuff they've given those guys to do on the show was crazy. No offense to Andy, I just think Conan really found himself as a performer in the 00's and his show was consistently great to me for over a decade. Late Night talk shows were never really the same when he got fucked over by Leno and I haven't watched a Late Night Show since Craig Ferguson left.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Tonight Show flap up in 2010 was the last time that talk shows really mattered. There's been a handful of fun, memorable moments sense and I like occasionally tuning into Colbert or Seth Myers but now, it's just about the hosts more than the shows as a whole.

Even though, it's been a long time coming, it does really feel like the end of an error. And now Jimmy Kimmel is the grand old man of late night. Stop this Planet of the Apes! I want to get off!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the Geoff Peterson on the Ferguson show stuff might of happened after Lenogate, so that might be the highlight of Late Night TV post January 2010. Not much else except for Ferguson stuff for me unless Fallon damaging his reputation and hurting his credibility by ruffling Trump's hair counts in terms of summing up how offensively bland Late Night shows have been. I guess in terms of importance that Kimmel speech about his newborn kid and the struggle for health care in the Trump era did a lot to cement him as the favorite of this new crop for a lot of people.

Last edited:

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
My favorite period for Conan was 96-99. I used to stay up 3 or 4 nights a week to watch and head to school on only a few hours of sleep. It wasn't ever quite the same after Andy left the first time.

His TBS show didn't ever have the same edge to it. Not sure if it was due to him losing the Tonight Show, a change in culture in terms of what you can do comedically or just him getting older and burnt.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to know how many hours I've spent watching Conan. There was few year span where I hardly ever missed an episode (probably the last 3 or 4 years of Late Night). The show started going downhill after the writers' strike ended and he did those bits with Colbert and Stewart, I guess when they started prepping for moving to the Tonight Show. The last couple weeks of his Tonight Show was great TV, though.

I went to a taping about 5 years ago and they gave me a theme song.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The Walker Lever is one of my favorite bits on any late night show, though. HBO better give him, like, an Arli$$ lever.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I still remember watching this as a freshman in high school and thinking if this was how they ended the show you would be more human than human. You would be godlike.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't want to know how many hours I've spent watching Conan. There was few year span where I hardly ever missed an episode (probably the last 3 or 4 years of Late Night). The show started going downhill after the writers' strike ended and he did those bits with Colbert and Stewart, I guess when they started prepping for moving to the Tonight Show. The last couple weeks of his Tonight Show was great TV, though.

I went to a taping about 5 years ago and they gave me a theme song.

I guess I can see the affection for the 90's stuff and it was good, but I too love those last years of Late Night. I remember him having Norm on a lot during the Tonight Show run which was a highlight. His Tonight Show run was too short to really judge, but I thought it was pretty good.

eh fuck it, time to post some videos

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
I remember when we first got cable TV down here in Oz we had Leno and Conan of a night and I always gravitated to Conan. That late 90's to mid-2000's period was especially good.

Random clips sound good.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Like genius mentioned I used to stay up to watch Conan when I was in high school and go to school on only a few hours sleep. It was rough then and no way I could pull that shit off today. I probably averaged 3/4 hours of sleep a night in high school which in retrospect is kinda terrifying.

Best years were 96- till when Andy left in 2000.

Never caught on to the TBS show. In all honesty his self deprecating style just doesn't seem to work in the current environment. Plus in the past 25 years the improv/Groundlings/UCB style of comedy has become completely mainstream and made his show not stick out as much