Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Concerts coming to your area: Good and Bad

Staff member
Reaction score
GnR is playing LA and I'm definitely gonna go, but...I'm not sure when I should buy tickets. I feel like waiting as long as possible.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Me and @Laz might have to pop the trunk on Vale for dissing New England pop metal greats EXTREME. Get the funk out!

added incentive for this Who tribute is Cherone has either gotten a perm or gotten a high quality wig to look like It’s Hard era Daltrey. I wasn’t expecting him to cosplay.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Cheap Trick is playing Middletown Labor Day weekend. I've seen them twice, opening for Aerosmith in 2012 and Poison in 2018 (only paid $20 for this one) but neither time did they play anything from their debut album, which is their best work and has no hits. But I know they do play stuff from the debut at some of their headlining shows.

I’ve never heard an Extreme song that I liked but I only know five or so.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Even fake pride in Extreme is wrong. At least as a NorCal kid I can claim Tesla.

A Who tribute band with someone like Cherone is just another in a long line of "Where is David Coverdale when you need him?" situations.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My mild pride in Extreme is very real. Which might be worse. "Hole Hearted" and "More Than Words" are genuinely of my favorite early '90s soft rock jams. The world needed a less talented, New England based version of Mr. Big.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fun fact...real reason Laz left New England is cause he could not longer contain his visceral hatred for Extreme.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I mean, my loathing for most big musical acts to come from the area who made it big isn't hidden (Staind can suck it, too), but I wouldn't call anything Extreme has done worthy of visceral anything.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Soul Asylum/Local H/Juliana Hatfield announced today for aforementioned former home club. At least we're trending in the right direction.

I saw Soul Asylum co-headline with Fountains of Wayne (RIP Adam Schlesinger) at same venue in 2013 and they blew my guys FoW off the stage. In retrospect, it was kind of dumb to have those two bands co-headline.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I was supposed to see Pet Shop Boys/New Order last year at MSG. Obviously the show was postponed to this September. They're still unable to travel here, so it was postponed again until next September. I could have gotten a refund, but I'll be damned if I can't get to PSB and New Order. I've seen PSB 3 times previously, but never New Order. This is a bucketlist concert for me, especially at MSG.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lindsey Buckingham coming to Portsmouth Music Hall weekend after Labor Day. Yeah, definitely trending in right direction. Ticket prices are super reasonable considering it's >1000 seat venue but I guess I'm probably overestimating the appeal of solo Lindsey Buckingham.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'd go to that show. I've heard Modest Mouse are an infamously bad live show. The Shins just makes me consider making a Garden State thread because it would change your life.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
During their brief mid '00s dalliance with mainstream popularity, Modest Mouse played one of the last shows at our then dilapidated ornate movie house before it closed for a few years. I wasn't there but a bunch of my friends were and told me how a chick in the balcony randomly decided to dump 'em out while they were waiting for the encore. I'd be hard pressed to think of a band that's less encouraging of whipping out tits than Modest Mouse.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm 75% sure that Zooey would've taken a lot of money to get She & Him to headline. At which point I would go.

Valeyard

Reaction score
TV On The Radio are still going, apparently. Wow.

This rabbit hole might make me old and sad...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I could have swore they broke up in the early 2010s but recently reunited but you're right, they have been together the whole time. They haven't released an album since 2014, so it's fair to say they're firmly entrenched in nostalgia act territory. Most of 'em were kind of old during their peak in relevancy anyway tbh.

Valeyard

Reaction score
LCD Soundsystem still exist! To not have them close the whole thing with "All My Friends" and all the existential crisis it would bring is such a blown shot.

This searching has been a mistake.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
LCD Soundsystem was the '00s NYC indie darlings that I was thinking of that broke up in the early 2010s but reunited a few years later!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good news: I got tickets to Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, and GZA on Thanksgiving Weekend. Still can't believe they're coming to Portland, ME (although they came here a bunch individually and with Wu Tang in the late '90s-'00s before I was too young and/or too dumb to go to cool concerts.)

Bad (?) news: GF also wanted tickets to see Dirty Heads and Sublime With Rome for her recent birthday. Maybe worth creating an Alt Rock That Fuckin' Sucks Thread? I'm sure I will get nicely toasted and have a fine time tho tbh. Who can resist seeing the bassist for Sublime and a cherubic millennial that's younger than I am play Brad Nowell's finest work a mere 25 years past Sublime's heyday?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
So I actually bought tickets to this months ago but just got an e-mail that the show is rescheduled for summer 2021. I have no freaking clue how my life will be a year from now so I may take a full refund.

I indeed got a refund but wound up buying these tickets back. Concert is right before Labor Day. I ain't missing Alanis!