Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Conor retires again

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Re: McGregor retires/doesn't retire/out of UFC 200/wants to be on 200/back on 200

I get than Conor would pop a bigger ppv buy. But from a fight perspective I'd much rather see Jones/DC 2

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: McGregor off UFC 200

Ariel tweeted that there's going to be an announcement today regarding the main event. Figure it's DC/Jones, Cormier was supposed to find out from his doctors this week if he'll be good to go, imagine he got confirmation. Either that or the GSP deal happened and it's Rush/Lawler.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Jon Jones will fight Daniel Cormier in a light heavyweight unification title bout at UFC 200, as first reported during a telecast of Good Morning America on Wednesday. The fight will headline the July 9 card in Las Vegas, at the brand new T-Mobile Arena.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score

If all those title fights go the distance....man. I'm going to have to pace my drinking like never before.

Staff member
Reaction score

Tate finishes Nunes in the second round, I think. Nunes doesn't have the cardio to keep up with Miesha for long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2uFxZsSAZ4

In this video, Kavanagh acts like the UFC can't or won't keep Conor off the MSG card. I really think that both Conor and his team are in way over their head and don't understand exactly what it is that they've done by signing up for this fight and not going on the press tour. They seem to be living in this alternate reality. The belief that the UFC will ever cater to Conor again is an incredible one. I'd be shocked if Conor was on any of the big showcase events anytime soon. I'd be even more shocked if the UFC ever paid for him to be on their private plane or live that high life again either. Or if Conor was ever paid more money than is explicitly laid out in his contract. The UFC will also not let Conor out of his contract without ruining his career on the way there, given he's both bound by the champion's clause and certainly has a lot of fights remaining on his deal. Conor talked a big game and all that, he's about to face a murderer's row of competition as a result.

Of course the UFC is wrong for doing this, and it isn't right, but he's going to get the kind of treatment that they gave Tito Ortiz and Rampage. Literally the most unfavorable matchups that exist for the entire remaining duration of Conor's contract. Hope they're ready. Given it was Conor's relationship with the Fertittas that fell apart, I don't think there's any way of repairing that. It's not like he had a problem with Dana.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The buy rate of 200 will ultimately decide who wins this. Conor and Nate did 1.5 million buys. I see 200 topping out at about 800,000. There's nothing on there to grab the casual fans.

If 200 tops a million Conor loses power. If 200 does poorly, his position strengthens.

Staff member
Reaction score

I think Tate's victory over Holm carries a lot of weight with casual fans. Given Jones/DC 1 did 800k with a trash undercard and this will have 2 other title fights plus a Cain fight, I think they'll pull 1.2 million at minimum for this. The thing is, they also have two shows in the days before. Will that tire people out? I'll order this show for sure, all of the fights on it are interesting to me.

They're also still missing one main card fight, I wonder what it's going to be. PVZ will also be somewhere on this, maybe that's the main card fight. Get those Dancing With the Stars fan goofs to order it.

Conor will be back in the fall regardless, and headlining a show regardless, but not a centerpiece show and he'll be given the toughest fight they can think up. He ain't gonna get any fights with guys like Donald Cerrone going forward, that's for sure.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score

PVZ could drag in casuals. But the huge buy rates come from Conor, Ronda and Brock.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong. I hope I'm not though. Not that the guys on the card don't deserve a huge buy rate but this is another one of those things where Conor getting his way will be better for fighters in the long run.

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm not sure Conor's version of things send the right message. I'm hugely in favor of higher fighter pay, but part of achieving that lies in remaining highly accessible to media requests as fighters do now. For the highest paid guy in the UFC to make these kinds of requests doesn't really sit right with me.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score

If you want guys to do insane media tours, pay them. They do all their publicity stuff for free.

Staff member
Reaction score

The fighters who don't get PPV points should definitely be paid for PR appearances, but Conor's pay is directly tied to the interest he generates through promoting his fights. The more he promotes, the more people buy them and the more he gets paid.

On top of that, his stand isn't about paying fighters for publicity. He doesn't want to be paid for it either. It's that he doesn't want to do it, everyone else on UFC 200 is a bum, and he's the whole show so he should be able to do whatever he wants. He's not standing up for the other fighters at all, it's out of nothing but selfishness under the guise of needing to prepare for a fight that no longer exists.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score

His stand is that he doesn't want to do it. Dana's stand is "Do it because we say so". If they actually paid him to do these appearances they'd have a little bit more of a leg to stand on.

Staff member
Reaction score

Dana has literally nothing to do with a decision of this magnitude imo.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Ok, it's the Fertitta's stance as well. I don't work for free. I don't expect them to.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Don't underestimate the UFC PR machine either. To this day there are still dipshits that hate on Tito and buy into the 'coward' narrative instead of realizing that he just knew his worth.

They are willing to throw their own guys under the bus if it means saving the brand. I also think they'll force him to defend the belt before he takes any other fight.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score

209 said:
I think Tate's victory over Holm carries a lot of weight with casual fans. Given Jones/DC 1 did 800k with a trash undercard and this will have 2 other title fights plus a Cain fight, I think they'll pull 1.2 million at minimum for this. The thing is, they also have two shows in the days before. Will that tire people out? I'll order this show for sure, all of the fights on it are interesting to me.

They're also still missing one main card fight, I wonder what it's going to be. PVZ will also be somewhere on this, maybe that's the main card fight. Get those Dancing With the Stars fan goofs to order it.

Conor will be back in the fall regardless, and headlining a show regardless, but not a centerpiece show and he'll be given the toughest fight they can think up. He ain't gonna get any fights with guys like Donald Cerrone going forward, that's for sure.

For what it's worth I think we'll see Paige end up on the TUF Finale card. It might be too much to expect casual fans to tune into a ppv just for her but it'd be an easy sell to place her on free tv especially given that it's a womens title fight in the main.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/mcgregor-campaigning-for-rematch.3237541/

man the sherdog dummies have already turned on Conor. Look at the amount of likes for all the anti-Conor posts.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/4h8o8p/conor_mcgregor_on_instagram/

same with this link, Conor might have overestimated his cache with the fanbase. Also, their interest in labour rights for the (formerly) most coddled millionaire in the UFC.

Staff member
Reaction score

It's also all the shit about how nobody wants to see these other fights that's particularly grating on people. It's so arrogant, so moronic, and really deluded. I'd rather watch that Rory vs. Wonderboy fight than anything Conor could ever be in going forward.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/5/11594274/morning-report-tito-ortiz-wants-conor-mcgregor-to-learn-from-his

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Conor-McGregor-Floyd-Mayweather-Jr-Boxing-Match-in-the-Works-104533

So I guess he figures if he couldn't beat Nate in stand-up he'd have a chance against one of the GOAT's. Conor needs to just go away for a while.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Isn't the Sun like the British version of the Enquirer?

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Ariel has said how fucking regarded that is without actually saying its fucking retarded.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Lord of The Curry said:
Well that's some clickbait if I ever done seen it.

The UFC nor McGregor have yet to comment on the report, but it seems extremely unlikely that the Irishman’s contract with the mixed martial arts promoter would allow the contest to take place.

lol