Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Coronavirus

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I guess this is encouraging, friend who is/was an organizer for the New Orleans swingers convention was railing on people via social media for attending this year in the wake of the pandemic. She also was lambasting the hell out of the venue for even booking it. This was before the governor implemented restrictions again, so hopefully it'll be a moot point and there will be no large scale breeding ground for the virus to spread and the event gets postponed to 2021.

EDIT: Disregard, she was venting in the past tense. The event already happened and it was 250 people instead of the usual 2000. November was the rescheduled date as the summer date was postponed.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score

Some of the replies to the original Sahil Kapur tweet are fascinating, in that American Catholicism has arrived at a point where, when the spiritual leader of their faith criticizes the Church's history with homophobia and transphobia, and criticizes the US's lack of action to address the COVID crisis, rather than reconsider their beliefs on these issues, American Catholics are instead now denying the legitimacy of the Pope!

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

"Thursday marked the 24th consecutive day that the US reported more than 100,000 new Covid-19 cases and the 17th day straight that the number of patients in hospital with the virus has hit a new record.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) predicts the total number of deaths could rise to as high as 321,000 in the next four weeks, according to its latest forecast, updated on Wednesday.

Among the worst affected states are North and South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and New Mexico, which CDC maps show have all seen between 102.8 and 155 cases per 100,000 people in the last seven days."

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seems really weird that these sparsely populated states that make it so much easier in theory to not have large gatherings of people are having the biggest issues now.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seems really weird that these sparsely populated states that make it so much easier in theory to not have large gatherings of people are having the biggest issues now.

I think it's more that they didn't give a shit to begin with and weren't hit as hard early on. It gave them a false sense of security. Not that they would have taken any proactive measurements, anyway...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't speak to those states perspective but as someone from another isolated state, by late September or so, I think even a lot of people who had been careful about the virus thought “Well, shit. Maybe we WON’T get that hard.” I include myself in that group. It was a dumb sentiment but most everything about Americans response to the virus has been.

Everyone definitely acted a bit more carelessly in late Summer and Fall and now we are all paying for it.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I guess this is encouraging, friend who is/was an organizer for the New Orleans swingers convention was railing on people via social media for attending this year in the wake of the pandemic. She also was lambasting the hell out of the venue for even booking it. This was before the governor implemented restrictions again, so hopefully it'll be a moot point and there will be no large scale breeding ground for the virus to spread and the event gets postponed to 2021.

EDIT: Disregard, she was venting in the past tense. The event already happened and it was 250 people instead of the usual 2000. November was the rescheduled date as the summer date was postponed.

How is no one going to discuss the casual drop of a swingers convention?

Also, for your own sake @SFH, thinking the swingers would not want you scaring away guests by referring to their location as a “breeding ground”.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Unless it's that kind of party, of course. Some involved in the lifestyle are down with that part more than others.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score

just in case you thought it's just over here that has batshit crazy!

While they certainly do exist, you don’t come across too many virulently anti-mask people in Japan. When you do, however, they seem to do it with remarkable panache.

Case in point is Yasunobu Yukumoto, a member of the Akaiwa City Council in Okayama Prefecture. While visiting a health center on 4 November, he was asked by staff to put on a mask while inside the building. This caused him to shout “I don’t need a mask, because I’m not talking!”

Perhaps realizing that he just did the complete opposite of what he said, he then took a page from the non-verbal communication of the noble chimpanzee and proceeded to throw his own feces in anger.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope 7 tweets isn't too long of a Tweet thread for @Mr. S£im Citrus and apologies in advance to the rest of the board for posting a tweet thread in lieu of articulating my own thoughts!
It's a testament to how much of a mindset that is too. Short of having yourself or an immediate family member catch it, it's a lot easier to say, "It's just like the flu," or "It hasn't effected me yet, so it can't be as bad as the media is trying to say it is. I see lots of people out walking/grocery shopping/whatever!"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's insane that there are COVID denialists who are literally dying of COVID. But I guess that just goes to show you how far anti intellectualism has gone in this country. I feel like we talk all the time about how Trump is like Hitler and MAGA Chuds are like Nazis that we forget his Pol Pot like tendencies.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I don’t remember if it has been posted here but there have been stories of COVID deniers in the hospital with COVID that are screaming and shouting about it being a hoax until their dying breath. I can’t even wrap my head around that mentality.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I saw an interview with a South Dakota ICU nurse where she talked about people using their dying moments muttering in disbelief and anger about it being a hoax when they should be Facetiming and saying last words to their relatives. Just awful that this is what a lot of country has come to!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
TRUMP SAID WE SHOULDA DONE BEEN BACK IN CHURCH BY EASTER
NDsTwZj.gif

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He was right, if not about the timing. A lot of people rushed back into churches. Many of them, unfortunately, ended up in a box after that while the 23rd Psalm was read.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw an interview with a South Dakota ICU nurse where she talked about people using their dying moments muttering in disbelief and anger about it being a hoax when they should be Facetiming and saying last words to their relatives. Just awful that this is what a lot of country has come to!
I had a woman check in back in like July (from Florida) who was shocked that our hotel pool wasn't open when their posh Country Club exclusive pool (read: no kids allowed I bet) had literally been open for over a month.

People like that living in super gated communities with minimal interaction or living in rural areas without much populace or physical foot traffic just can't get why states like a California, NY, Massachusetts, etc. aren't doing the same shit as your little country club or retiree community.

Laz

Reaction score
Along those lines, I had to refuse a job after explaining why people in the Boston metro area take it so seriously as everybody in the building walked around without masks.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How is no one going to discuss the casual drop of a swingers convention?

Also, for your own sake @SFH, thinking the swingers would not want you scaring away guests by referring to their location as a “breeding ground”.
Apologies. One of my best friends is deep in the NOLA music scene and as a result of his various gigs, I've had the opportunity to meet performers in other realms of entertainment, then meet their friends, and so forth. Around my hometown, I'm the weird friend. Around the performers, I'm the "normie." It's an interesting dynamic but I get to learn a lot.

But yeah, made friends with the former organizer of the convention. Really great person, helps me a LOT with my attempts to be a better person. I'll have a random idea and I'll send it to her and be like ''this idea: yay or nay?" and she'll send me examples of why I should NOT dress like Curly Howard as the Maharajah for halloween. Very social justice oriented, very "fuck Trump'' and more importantly, "Fuck everything and everyone that is working against eradicating this pandemic." So for her to use her platform to go the fuck off on all of her friends in that social circle, really struck a major chord of respect. Something she's invested her life into as an active organizer, she put aside for the betterment of the whole.

Meanwhile T-Claude the bayou trash bitches and moans about having to wear a mask to buy a can of dip and 15th rebel flag at the quick stop.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

"Lawmakers need to pass a spending bill by Dec. 11 to prevent a government shutdown. Meanwhile, they will have to decide whether to approve another coronavirus relief bill as rampant infections stress hospitals and trip up the U.S. economic recovery.

Appropriators have reached an agreement on an overall $1.4 trillion price tag for a spending bill, according to NBC News. They still need to decide where all of the money will go.

Democratic congressional leaders and President-elect Joe Biden have pushed for Congress to approve a bill that costs at least $2.2 trillion this year. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has said he wants to send more aid in the coming weeks — but aims to include about $500 billion in new spending.

House Democrats passed a $2.2 trillion stimulus in October. Among other measures, it would have reinstated the $600-per-week federal unemployment insurance that expired earlier this year, sent a second $1,200 direct payment to most Americans, set up a second round of PPP loans, and authorized more than $400 billion in state and local government aid.

A $500 billion Senate GOP bill that Democrats blocked in October included a $300-per-week enhanced jobless benefit, more PPP funding, and liability protections for businesses. It would not have allocated money for state and local aid and stimulus checks."

Laz

Reaction score
I can't wait for the 3 hours of social media bickering when that movie is a critical and financial bomb, the faux-woke crowd trying to spin it as some misogynist/transphobic/racist hate and everybody else reminding them that THEY CEASED TESTING FOR A LETHAL ILLNESS DURING A PANDEMIC TO FILM A MOVIE NOBODY WANTED TO SEE.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yes. Don't know this Bob guy. He must have taken over from my friend (she did do a midwestern tour for her "normal" job in 2017 or 2018 so I'm guessing it's been that long).

Looking more and more my fears about New Orleans Mardi Gras cancellations inspiring my town to NOT cancel ours is becoming real. There was breaking news yesterday about the local parade schedule. I crossed my fingers as I opened the app to find out, they're just changing the route. Local officials are adamant it's going to take an act of Government (ie Democrat Governor's fault) for them to cancel.

Thank God my mom has sense enough to not go to gatherings with her lungs, but I don't know if her coworkers will.