Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Coronavirus

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Have they said how long it takes to have to get both doses inbetween the first dose and the second dose? It seems like a "first dose" delay is already screwing things up nevermind having to get another dose on top of that.
Seems like I remember it being two or three weeks between doses. It also takes a couple weeks for the final dose to kick in. I wouldn't imagine it being a problem if people are still responsible between doses and immediately after but I'm not sure how much education the general public has sought out. I'm sure they are informed of all of this when they receive the first dose.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

MA remains at 24% for now 2 weeks straight with the 1st day being 12/30 (so can't even blame that on Christmas Eve/Christmas). Over 2,200 people are hospitalized and 450+ are in the ICU. There's an estimated 92,000 active cases. It being under 2% from July-September feels like a lifetime ago. Next time my state goes up to 4% after being at 1.5% for a while for a deadly virus, I'll try not to "freak out" knowing the 25% rate is right around the corner either.

Be safe, Kotz! Dunno if you're near any of these cities. https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article248380685.html#storylink=related_inline

"Greenville had the highest number of coronavirus cases per capita of all mid-sized cities in the U.S., according to the report. From Dec. 31 to Jan. 6, the city had 7,242 infections, or 787 per 100,000.

The report defines mid-size cities as having a population between 250,000 to 1 million.

Spartanburg ranked ninth out of the 10 cities in the mid-size category, contributing 2,155 new COVID cases, or 674 per 100,000 — a 31% increase over the previous week.

By comparison, Greenville’s case count grew 21% from the week prior.

Then in the smaller cities — those between 50,000 to 250,000 — Florence ranked fifth."

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have been concerned about COVID but not so concerned that I hid out in an airport for three months and survived on strangers giving me slices of $18 airport pizza.

Also isn’t a major metropolitan airport the worst place to hide from COVID!?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this as brief as possible: In (2000) college band one of our freshman sax players got his end of semester $500 stipend for fulfilling all performance obligations August - December. He purchased round trip plane tickets from NOLA to Boston to spend a week with a girl he met online. He gets there and "her father" decided he wasn't boarding a strange 18 year old cajun for a week. Dude had zero other assets for a hotel so he slept in the airport all week with his luggage and shit (which for this guy was probably his schoolbag) and then during the day he'd venture out for whatever. He should have learned a valuable lesson.

In 2008 he calls me up, "DUDE I got a great opportunity from work, cruise for $300 per person for two weeks and I have to bring someone and you're the only other friend I have with a job." After some balking I gave him the $300 only to find out there was a docking in Miami for 2 days on July 4-5 and then we get on a different boat but we'd be on our own for lodging those 2 days. I couldn't locate anything on 2008 hotel sites like Priceline, etc.. for July 4-5 in Miami. His solution, "all dude that's cool, we can just sleep at the airport like when I was in Boston." With our two weeks worth of luggage. Subsequently we learned the cruise did not launch out of New Orleans, it launched out of not Miami but somewhere in Florida, "we can just drive there" was his plan. He had a single cab truck and refused to accept it might rain on our stuff during the drive (I forget why I was digging my heels in on not driving). Asked if he wanted to pay for two weeks of parking once we get there he said, "No, we can just leave my truck at a Wal-mart and call a cab." Final nail in the coffin was when he found out the thing was a COUPLES cruise and was NOT going to be crawling with "single chicks" looking "to get laid."

Never did get my $300 back.

Anyway, tl;dr: wasn't 3 months, but had a college friend did it for two weeks.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
tenor.gif

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really don’t get where we are going. What about this says “Let’s all have people eat brunch outside and get out hair done.”

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My only guess is that the case numbers are trending better. The deaths should start trailing off as we get further away from the holidays and they always lag a couple weeks behind the case numbers. I also do not know how many people have been vaxxed in Cali. Probably not enough to make a difference. People who are going out to eat are probably doing shit like going to other people's houses anyway so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I feel pretty safe getting my haircut as my stylist wears a mask and I wear a mask.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Someone else pointed on Twitter that if you're getting mad at Fauci for making as much as the strength & conditioning coach for the Georgia Bulldogs football team or the last utility infielder off the bench for the Cleveland Indians then you probably don't have your priorities straight.

Reactions: Laz

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Someone else pointed on Twitter that if you're getting mad at Fauci for making as much as the strength & conditioning coach for the Georgia Bulldogs football team or the last utility infielder off the bench for the Cleveland Indians then you probably don't have your priorities straight.
I saw it pointed out that Fauci still only made a fraction of the highest paid state employee of Alabama (Nick Saban), and football jackoffs came out of the woodwork to start saying shit about, "Yeah, but football is entertaining, hurr durr!", or "Okay, but Saban makes money for the school," which, like, you could make the argument that it's not supposed to be a school's objective to make money, but whatever. My favorite response was the dude who pointed out, "Okay, but Fauci also makes less money than the head coach at Army, so, what's that about?"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would just respond to that "college football is entertaining" rebuttal with "You can't enjoy college football if you are dead".

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
My father and stepmother have COVID (in Framingham, so be careful @HarleyQuinn ). He's feeling fine but is typically asymptomatic of any illness that's passed through, I think I've only seen him have anything more than the sniffles or a cough twice in my life, and she's knocked on her ass but mostly with flu-like issues and no real trouble yet.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretend the eye-heart emoji is the lovey-huggy support emoji from Facebook.

• Ohreally
Reactions: Laz

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
My father and stepmother have COVID (in Framingham, so be careful @HarleyQuinn ). He's feeling fine but is typically asymptomatic of any illness that's passed through, I think I've only seen him have anything more than the sniffles or a cough twice in my life, and she's knocked on her ass but mostly with flu-like issues and no real trouble yet.
Hope they do well. All the towns around here are still getting rocked. My sister's been work-at-home for several months now and knock on wood nobody in my immediate family or Aunts/Uncles/Cousins have gotten it but I figure it's only a matter of time at this point the longer this all goes on.

Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest when I made all those predictions earlier in the thread I never could have imagined it would:

A. The government would respond so badly that this many people would die and be poor.

B. That we would find halfway effective treatments to prevent as many deaths as could have happened.

C. That we would already have a vaccine.

D. That even knowing that it would take this long to be over, how long it feels and how destabilizing it is mentally to not do the shit that I'm used to doing.

The early pages in this thread are fucking disturbing.