Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Could/Should Test have been a main eventer?

Could/Should Test have been a main eventer?

• Yes

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Boy, we're really starting to run out of thing to talk about.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Had he come in around late 96 or late 2002, he probably gets the rocket push. Coming in green when everyone is over and the incentive for freshness is nil, didn't help.
With the wedding angle, he could have been elevated, but what I remember was that HHH was owning him even before he cucked him.
Test didn't get a single PPV headline slot out of dating/engaging and being screwed over by the bosses daughter. (Test vs Shane at SSlam being the closest IIRC)
He looked good in 8x10s though.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As soon as I posted that I went into Brodypedia mode and was trying to remember who Test wound up facing at WM 4 months after getting screwed at the alter. My rolodex spun for about 35 seconds before I realized he teamed with Albert (who had just left his bro Bossman).

Looking now, he wasn't on any PPVs in later 99 and lasted a whole 6 mins at the Rumble.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think I mentioned it earlier ITT but he also had horrible misfortune of suffering neck injuries in Winter/Spring of 2004 that mostly put him out of action for a year outside of a few house show matches (where he reaggravated injury). With the way the roster thinned out WM XX, I could have seen Test finally getting a main event push. A sudden Test World Title run makes more sense than the sudden JBL World Title run IMO.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think I mentioned it earlier ITT but he also had horrible misfortune of suffering neck injuries in Winter/Spring of 2004 that mostly put him out of action for a year outside of a few house show matches (where he reaggravated injury). With the way the roster thinned out WM XX, I could have seen Test finally getting a main event push. A sudden Test World Title run makes more sense than the sudden JBL World Title run IMO.
I'm torn as even at the time I thought JBL's jokey gimmick should have been a US title level thing and MAYBE he could get some headline shots.

I'm not sure Test ever got the stink of midcard off of him. He kind of peaked his first year and then was meh. (Corporation, Corp Ministry, Union, Steffi stuff)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tbh, he did seem over a dickhead midcard/bordering on upper midcard heel in '02-'03. Him going to main event was less of a reach than Bradshaw ATT. Now I think Bradshaw eventually became a much, much better talker than Test but if you asked me in March 2004; what makes more sense? A Test main event or a Bradshaw main event push? I'd have answered Test fairly easily.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Bradshaw over Test all day. Not that Bradshaw deserved the push, of course, but Test would've been a total disaster. Bradshaw beating Eddie was fucking weird but Test would've been a straight turnoff.

Test and Cena having some solid US title matches would've been pretty fun though.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Test/Eddie in 2004 would've sucked and I'm a defender. He was beyond damaged and I don't think he'd have much in the way of good stuff with anyone, and I don't think Eddie could've given him a great match even then. The best of JBL would tower over the best of Test.

An anti-American stable of Test, Rene Dupree, and Kenzo though? Money.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Simmons just saw Cass didn't he

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Julius Smokes thinking Cass was Test was one of the greatest unintentional comedy moments in pro wrestling history.