Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

COVID-19 impact on music

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Nugent thinks "When the Lights Go Down" is more HOF worthy than "Because the Night" or the first big deal DJ to treat turntables as an instrument unto themselves.

Nugent also hasn't written a good song since 1975.

Say what you want about your politics, Teddy, but at least Jon Schaffer had the guts to do something about his beliefs. Not just talk trash from the safety of your million dollar compound, you fucking puss.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Patti Smith's importance and writing smoke anything Nugent has ever done on every level, sans guitar. I'll stand by that. "Because The Night" rules, but a lot of that credit has to go to Springsteen too. Grandmaster Flash changed the game right as Nugent was giving some 14 year old in St. Louis crabs.

Nugent would be such an obnoxious induction speech/performance. Internet probably has the "Let's Go Brandon" mix of "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" already.

Laz

Reaction score
I want Nugent and Ice-T locked in a room together.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A lot of Rock and Roll HOF controversy would be avoided if it was just changed to the Popular Music Hall of Fame. Doesn't have the same ring, but whatever.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk if they could have predicted in 1987 when they started the RRHOF that rock n roll would become a sub-genre barely above jazz and polka within 30 years.

Although actually if you look at the top rock hits of 1987, maybe you could have. In retrospect, grunge was probably a last hurrah more than a return to form for rock music.

(Hey. I think we actually have a Rock N Roll Hall of Fame thread somewhere...)

Laz

Reaction score
The name still applies since every artist inducted, whether they play rock or pop or hip hop and so forth, is playing a form of music that is related to rock n' roll.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rappers and country singers have been embodying the rock star tradition a lot better than actual rock stars for the past 20-25 years tbh.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The name still applies since every artist inducted, whether they play rock or pop or hip hop and so forth, is playing a form of music that is related to rock n' roll.
That's true, but it would eliminate people quibbling over Madonna or Public Enemy being more "pop" or "hip hop" than true rock, even if their respective styles deviated from rock decades earlier.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rappers and country singers have been embodying the rock star tradition a lot better than actual rock stars for the past 20-25 years tbh.
The thing about country is that they have always treated themselves as a separate entity, so it makes it pretty difficult to identify them as "rock" even if the current style emulates rock (for better or worse) more favorably than many contemporary artists.

Valeyard

Reaction score
American Music Hall Of Fame. Just admit defeat to the pedantic people like me who will always sigh at Steely Dan and Run DMC being in a rock n roll hall of fame.

Last Hall Of Fame I cared about was Nirvana going in, though. It made me realize how magical St Vincent is.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
American Music Hall Of Fame.
wenn3131992.jpg

Valeyard

Reaction score
Still in. If the name doesn't matter already, then it doesn't matter who gets counted as what. Besides if they can live/die here they can count.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just call it the Modern Music Hall of Fame. American just plays to jingoistic idiots. If you think The Nuge gets too wound up about the RRHOF, imagine how tight his camo would get twisted over the MURICAN MUSIC Hall of Fame.

Popular Music Hall of Fame sounds good too in theory but you'd have dorks saying "Um, actually, the Velvet Underground and The Ramones didn't sell very many albums."

Valeyard

Reaction score
It just doesn't matter anymore. I'll bottle up any leftover resentment for Skrillex getting in in ten years.

The Grammys are the thing that needs to be fixed, if they must exist at all.