Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

COVID-19 impact on music

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For some people, hanging around in close quarters with leather-clad people, outside under the sun, to watch Smash Mouth is worth any consequence.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Van Morrison is a twat. I got my greatest hits (and maybe a Them! album in the pile somewhere) so whatever, sorry he's that tired of "Brown Eyed Girl."

Valeyard

Reaction score
We're going to get a really fucked up "We Are The World" kinda thing from these people.

Valeyard

Reaction score
His twitter is one of the best ever, though.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He's useless.

But not all UK rock stars. Mick Jagger doesn't partake in that Trumper bullshit.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I like how nowhere does he say he's against the vaccine, just that he's tepid about them (as one would be after being taught their entire childhood not to get them).

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Blind Faith album and the "Layla" coda (which he didn't even write!) are the only worthwhile things this turd has ever done. Just a worthless human being.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I've been going through some of the early 70s rock canon and was actually thinking of listening to Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs today, but I know it's more than an hour of Crapton besides the title track (which imo is a classic all the way through) and that could be a rough listen. I got through the first Cream album and didn't both listening to the others because it was so boring, and I'm boycotting Blind Faith because of the CP album cover (j/k I just figured it was boring too).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At risk of solidifying me being #canceled, Derek and The Dominoes do my favorite version of "Little Wing".

Cream never comes up in our occasional Led Zeppelin Vs Black Sabbath debates btw.

I respect Clapton's place in rock guitar history but yeah, so much of his collective discography is boring and I feel like a lot of his best work is carried by other people (Duane Allman with Derek and The Dominoes, Robbie Robertson with "It's In The Way That You Use It). He's a great guitar player but obviously kind of a dolt. Also he's a racist and he publicly stole the nicest Beatle's wife. Maybe he is rock music's greatest heel. Certainly up there with aforementioned collaborator Robbie Robertson!

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cream ticks a lot of the boxes of Things I Like in Late 60s Rock but actually listening to them is such a bore. I'm just gonna blame Clapton for the original bad cover art for the Blind Faith album even if he had nothing to do with it. It's a good record, though.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ya know what, I also like Clapton's bit in the film version of Tommy

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm just gonna blame Clapton for the original bad cover art for the Blind Faith album even if he had nothing to do with it. It's a good record, though.
Considering how much '60s/'70s rock stars were into underaged women and how much of a legendary horndog Clapton was, it's certainly possible. "Can't Find My Way Home" is my favorite Clapton involved song and again, it's mostly driven by Steve Winwood (although Clapton's acoustic guitar playing is delightfully tasteful for sure).

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's also the completely dunderheaded "White Room" needle drop in Joker, a bad movie Clapton had nothing to do with but I'm also blaming him for