Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

CXF Fantasy Baseball 2020 - League Champ: Steak!

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Re: CXF Fantasy Baseball 2020: *Flik, -DRAFT OVER- Benchwarmer Waivers Week

Figures, I missed this yesterday. Story of my March so far.

That said, let's not be an ass and hold this up much longer. Who do I have on my team.

C -
1 - Renato Nunez
2 - Gavin Lux
3 - Rafael Devers
S - Fernando Tatis
O - Juan Soto
O - Victor Robles
O - Austin Meadows
U - Andrew Benintendi
P - Sonny Gray
P - Madison Bumgarner
P - Marcus Stroman
R - Archie Bradley
R - Hansel Robles
U - Kyle Hendricks
U - Mike Minor
B - Cavan Biggio (2/O)
B - Scott Kingery (2/3/S/O)

That's more or less my team right now. Hm. 3 benches to fill and a catcher slot.

So I'll do the smart thing here.

Last player of the draft is 1B Evan White from the Seattle Mariners. Have fun with the waivers everyone.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Re: CXF Fantasy Baseball 2020: Benchwarmer Waivers Week

Okay! Draft has been finalized on yahoo.

BENCHWARMER WAIVERS
Free Agents come off waivers the morning of March 10th! I bumped waivers an extra day initially to give everyone plenty of time to figure out their waivers situation.

Waiver Order
#1 Thrasher
#2 Chewbie
#3 DBarnette
#4 Squint
#5 Treble
#6 Dirt
#7 Harley
#8 Krankor
#9 Steak
#10 O.G.
#11 DCBild [1 Delay]
#12 STLBlues [1 Delay]
#13 Minger [2 Delays]
#14 Flik [3 Delays]

As stated the other day, there is no benefit to not using your waiver priority during this Benchwarmer Waiver Week in hopes that it'll make your number higher for during the regular season. On March 16th the Benchwarmer Week will be over, the the waiver priority numbers will be reset to this initial order. If a team hasn't added any players to their roster by the end of the Benchwarmer Week, then their waiver priority number will go to the bottom of the list.

Good luck and have fun everyone!

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

Have to hope I can ride out the injuries to Sale/Clevinger early in the season and just stay afloat pitching wise while my hitting carries my squad.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score

I'd have preferred Josh James as my first Benchwarmer pick, but we'll bring in from parts unknown KWANG! instead.

I'm pretty optimistic about my squad. No major injuries. Factored in the oft injured Springer & Judge in my plans. I like the value of Dozier & Renfroe as fill-ins plus Khris Davis extremely late makes a perfect Utility fill-in. I'm fairly optimistic!

C Francisco Mejia
1b Anthony Rizzo
2b/SS Gleyber Torres
SS Francisco Lindor
3b Nolan Arenado
OF Aaron Judge
OF George Springer
OF Hunter Renfroe
1b/3b/OF Hunter Dozier
OF Domingo Santana
UTL Khris Davis
SP Shane Bieber
SP Luis Castillo
SP Tyler Glasnow
SP Brandon Woodruff
SP Lance Lynn
P Kwang-Hyun Kim
RP Liam Hendriks
RP Edwin Diaz
RP Brandon Workman
RP Alex Colome
NA Nate Pearson SP
NA OPEN

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

C - Jorge Alfaro
1 - Renato Nunez
2 - Gavin Lux
3 - Rafael Devers
S - Fernando Tatis
O - Juan Soto
O - Austin Meadows
O - Victor Robles
U - Andrew Benintendi
P - Sonny Gray
P - Marcus Stroman
P - Madison Bumgarner
R - Hansel Robles
R - Archie Bradley
U - Kyle Hendricks
U - Ryan Presley
B - Cavan Biggio (2/O)
B - Scott Kingery (2/3/S/O)
B - Evan White (1)
B - Dakota Hudson (P)
B - Mike Minor (P)

I think my team can be a good squad this year. 6 guys who will definitely get averaged around 15 QS, 3.19 ERA, WHIP of 1.18, and 142 Ks. It is all guys who put in work, without a true stud (though Stroman maybe can get there), but hey, I'll take solid numbers over praying that star pitchers show up for me (and they NEVER do). Got two solid options for saves, one of the options at holds, and I think things will work out here.

Offensively, this team could be going miles. I got Soto, Robles and Meadows returning. Tatis had great numbers for only 330ish ABs. Gavin Lux could be a huge star in the wings. If he's not ready to go, I've got Cavan to fill in (who could fill in somehwere). Somehow, Scott Kingery was still available for me, so I got a starting position player who's qualified for almost all the infield positions. I might have my next true 1B in Evan White, who's been tabbed as this year's starter and I don't have to worry about him defensively, because he's already solid there. If Benintendi shows up from 2018 that gives me another solid outfield option. Rafael Devers will do his Devers thing, so I'm not worried there. I mean, sure catcher is a problem, but Alfaro puts up at least good enough numbers there that I won't get crushed.

Overall, I like my chances to help other teams out in the near future. After all, I'm everyone's farm team.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score

We're about 10 days past when I said I was going to reset waivers for the regular season. So I'm doing it now. Like I said in a prior post, its make moves or lose your spot in line. We had 3 teams not make any adds, so they'll go to the bottom of the list. This is the last waiver order reset for the season. It's a rolling list so keep that in mind.

Waiver Order
#1 Chewbie
#2 DBarnette
#3 Squint
#4 Treble
#5 Dirt
#6 Harley
#7 Krankor
#8 Steak
#9 O.G.
#10 DCBild
#11 Flik
#12 Thrasher [No Benchwarmer Moves]
#13 STLBlues [No Benchwarmer Moves]
#14 Minger [No Benchwarmer Moves]

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
This season is going to be fucked.

Here's my thoughts on the best thing for us this season.

From what I've seen, the MLB regular season will only be 8 1/2 weeks. Since our scoring is Head 2 Head format, that would leave us 6 weeks for a fantasy season and 2 weeks for a four team playoff. What's the point in even bothering with our usual format?

The best format to use for this season I think is Roto. That eliminates the weekly matchups and just pits everyone vs everyone for who can rack up the most stats per category.

No one really planned for a roto format, so that puts everyone on an even playing field. I'll set some sort of games limit per position. Catcher is trash for Roto, so I'm going to limit those total games scored below every other positon. Don't even bother going out and stocking up on catchers. Getting the max games for that position will be around 75% of the other positions.

Since this season is going to be fucked up I really don't want it to be a total lost season for teams that were building specifically for this season. For this season and this season only, we're going to bring back the majority of your roster for the 2021 season. We'll only hold a small few round draft to account for retirements and deep bench. I'm thinking maybe 4 rounds. When the entire 2020 season was looking to be in jeopardy I was thinking of doing this also for 2021.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm at a point where I don't even know how many of my players will feasibly play out the season (even assuming the season still goes ahead at this point) as several have said they are just going to sit it out.

I'd be fine with carrying over most of the team into 2021 as you said.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Players sitting out and fake injuries will be major problems. At least with Roto it won't be as hindering as in weekly H2H.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Anyone else with any thoughts on the Roto idea? I'm probably going to mess with yahoo this weekend. I'm not 100% sure if I can swap the format after the draft was finalized or not. Pretty sure I can.

Also, I'm expecting more veteran baseball players to skip playing. More than likely yahoo will list them under the NA tag, not the DL tag. I will increase those spots to accomodate. I'll also probably raise or waive the free agent moves per week rule for this season.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm anticipating players starting and like one dude getting the corona mid-season and everybody being benched or whatever

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Alright for the 2020 cluster fuck season here will be our format and settings:

Format Changes:

Scoring Type: Roto not H2H
Trade Deadline: None
IL Spots: 4
NA Spots: 4
Scoring Ends the week of Nov 8th

Unfortunately Yahoo won't let me limit Games played per positions. After giving it some thought, I'm not going to limit games or innings. Just use whoever you got as much as you can! I really wanted to limit per position but that wasn't an option. The next best thing is just roll with as many stats as your squad can rack up.

What I am going to limit is the maximum number of free agent adds a team can make for the season. We're going to set it at 25. Use them wisely. I think that number should be sufficient enough and prevent a team from trying to profusely stream certain positions. Everyone's numbers have been reset to 0. Any moves after this moment count toward your 25. Trades do not count. Only free agent transactions. Again, use them wisely. You're going to have guys you want to replace, so don't blow your wad streaming.

Everything else is going to be the same.

Like I mentioned earlier, I want this season to not negatively effect teams that had planned for a normal fantasy season for our format. Since a normal season isn't possible. We're going to nearly keep all of our rosters for 2021. Instead of just keep 8 players like we normally do, we're going to keep 16 players, have a 4 round draft next year to replace our deep bench, then fufill the 21st roster spot in the post draft waiver process. I'm sure this 2020 season will result in some mega injuries or retirements, so you'll essentially be replacing those guys in that 4 round draft. This will only be for the 2021 draft. After that hopefully things will be back to normal.

Good luck everyone and let's make the best of this and have some fun!

If anyone has any other ideas that I might not have thought of that, feel free to suggest them!

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be curious to see how much of a role any highly regarded prospects get and whether teams try to utilize them to fill in spots or let them sit and get an extra season out of them.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
I sent out an email on Yahoo informing everyone of the 2020 format changes. That way in a month when someone says, "You didn't tell me!" I can say yes, carrier pigeons were indeed sent.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Couple notes with games finally starting up.

If a player has a COVID-19 tag after their name, they can be placed under the IL slot. That COVID-19 tag does not work for the NA slot though.

Remember, I bumped NA & IL up to 4 slots for this season. Also keep in mind you have 25 free agent transactions for the season. Use them wisely. Drops and trades do not count. Only added players count against the total.

Also, I set rosters for the STLBlues and Ming Dynasty team. Neither had set a single player on their rosters. Both teams also had major holes in starting lineups after I filled their lineups from lack of depth or injuries. Those holes got filled with generally the best available free agent player. There's a few other teams with open starting lineup roster spots, but I'll wait a few weeks to see if they do something about that before I go adding players there.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Also it just came into my mind that with us doing Roto there won't be a consolation tournament. So to encourage participation and not making this just a tank year here is how the 2021 draft order will be decided.

1. 1st Place
2. 2nd Place
3. 3rd Place
4. 4th Place
5. 5th Place
6. 6th Place
7. 7th Place
8. 8th Place
9. 9th Place
10. 10th Place
11. 11th Place
12. 12th Place
13. 13th Place
14. 14th Place

Look how easy that is! Since we are keeping the bulk of our roster for 2021, I wanted to reward those that actually put forth effort in this short season. The 2021 draft is only 4 rounds, and we are going to use a non-snaking order for the rounds.

For those that have never done a Roto scoring league, basically for each stat category,
(R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG, QS SV HLD K ERA, WHIP), your team will compile stats all year long. Then for each category the team with the most/best total gets the max points, 14, and so on down to the worst team getting the least points, 1. Then it totals up all your stat category rankings and compiles them for your team's total point total. As the season goes, if you are trying to make up ground, it's best to look at the stat total rankings and see where its best to focus on.

For reference also, I tossed 3 SPs into Beach Bums lineup since they were empty.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Man I'm so disappointed this is a short season and we aren't using the usual H2H format.

I have had some really good pitching staffs over the years, but damn this one is one of the best.

My hitting has been lacking but thats mainly due to injuries and some slumping stars.

I'm really excited for next season with us bringing the majority of our rosters back. I feel like fixing my hitting woes for next season is an easy task.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
I'm using Robinson Cano at 2b if that says anything. I think he was my 2b about a decade ago when I had Joe Mauer on my team and MIKE Stanton.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
My team's been shitty for most of the season, especially my pitching which has just been decimated by injuries and COVID shit. Already looking at next year.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Now's the time to set yourself up for next season then! Remember we're bringing back 16 players for next season. Stash some hurt stars. You definitely don't want to plummet to last because the draft order is based on 1st pick for 1st place, 2nd pick for 2nd place, and so on!

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
So @STLBlues91 has not accessed their team since FEB 19th. Their roster hasn't been adjusted once this season. Needless to say they're getting the big boot. Since I have to make that team appealing for someone to take over next season, I'm going to add a bunch of free agents to it's roster. Since we are keeping 16 players, it needs some help. It's hard to find people to takeover teams after the are driven into the ground. Once I add these guys, I'm setting the roster for the squad and that's it. I already had to add players to this team prior to the start of the season. It'll actually take 2 days to it because yahoo is stupid and makes me edit lineups for today and add players for tomorrow. Whatever.

In case anyone is wondering. That's what's happening with that team.

There's some other squads doing pretty poor roster management and lineup setting toward the bottom too.

Last edited:

SteakGrowsOnDmitri

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in a possible keeper, I'm throwing Kris Bryant up on the trade block. I'm lookin for a good SP in return. Throw an offer this way if interested.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
We've got about 1 month of the season left. We have a pretty good battle going between the top 9 teams. Squint has spent the longest time in 1st place, but Steak and Chewbie are fairly close behind.

A little reference to Steak's trade block, so everyone knows, I disabled the Trade Deadline this season. No trade deadline to worry about it!

The Ming Dynasty is firmly planted in last place. They've only added players once this year. It does look like they checked their roster about a week ago. Beach Bums is only slightly in front of Ming Dynasty. Bums' checked a week ago, but have made 0 moves and have a slew of people on the IL, except they aren't even using the IL. If we were doing H2H this season with an innings requirement Beach Bums would be missing it every week. Not a good audition for next season by either of those guys. If I don't see signs of life from either of those two, @minger80 and @Dbarnette2, they'll get the big boot and some players added to their teams for someone new to take over next season.

We've got 4 IL Spots and 4 NA spots. Use them to your advantage.

I know Flik has been off the grid this season, but his spot is more than safe. Hopefully by next season he'll be back to a more regular ability to check his stuff.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
One week left! Scoring ends on Sept 27th! Steak appears to have the title locked up. Remember, there's still a reason to scrap and fight for a better placement because the draft order for 2021 is set by the way you finish in the 2020 season standings. The higher you finish the better position you will get. 1st place picks 1st, 2nd place picks 2nd, 3rd place picks 3rd, and so on. Rounds will be non-snaking. As said before, we're keeping 16 players. Draft will be 5 rounds. If you keep under 16 players, you'll just get extra picks AFTER round 5. There's no benefit to not keeping 16. Remember this 2 month 2020 season is only a preview/setup season for a full 2021 season where things go back to normal.

In other news, Beach Bums @Dbarnette2 & Ming Dynasty @minger80 both haven't made any moves since they got a warning of no activity, so I'm pulling the plug on them. I'm going to add a few free agents to their roster to hopefully make those teams more desirable for someone to take those teams over. The Ming Dynasty squad finished 4th last year, so it being last this year is an obvious sign of how poorly that team was tended to. I'm also going to throw a few players onto Flik's team just in case he isn't back. He's been off the grid for quite awhile so I might as well make a contingency plan just in case.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
It's been over for a week or so but it's official, Steak is your 2020 pandemic rotisserie chicken champion. Looks like Treble will finish 2nd. That's title number 6 for Steak.

Feel free to post up your keepers. Remember we're keeping 16 since the short 2020 season was just a preview for 2021. We're back to Head 2 Head scoring next year.

SteakGrowsOnDmitri

Integral Poster
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Title number six in the bag. King of the rotisserie!

Keepers to come another day.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
Krankor's 2020 Team Keepers:
1b Anthony Rizzo
1b/OF Dom Smith
SS Francisco Lindor
SS Gleyber Torres
3b Nolan Arenado
OF George Springer
OF Aaron Judge
SP Shane Bieber
SP Lance Lynn
SP Luis Castillo
SP Brandon Woodruff
SP Tyler Glasnow
SP Sixto Sanchez
SP Cristian Javier
RP Liam Hendriks
RP Alex Colome

Also, I listed the 3 open teams keepers in the first post of the thread. I also listed Flik's team and denoted with an asterick who will be kept if he doesn't show back up.