Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Daily Fantasy Sports

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
909 (and now I) have gotten into Draft Kings. I know Hawk has in the past.

Doing a Beginner Nascar for $5 ($500 Lug Nut) for the Coca-Cola 600 with the following lineup: Kurt Busch, Truex Jr, Denny Hamlin, Ricky Stenhouse Jr, Ryan Blaney, and Ryan Newman.

Also doing well in an NBA $1 Entry sitting at 224 out of 2,352 with Tristan Thompson and Channing Frye going tonight in the Cavs/Raptors game. Waiters struggled (10.5) but I hit big on Bogut and Klay was very solid too.

Staff member
Reaction score
Bah gawd a 5 dollar one. I won a 10 dollar DK ticket on Twitter today and immediately put it on tonight-Saturday's NBA games.

That's almost exactly the Nascar lineup I was going to do as well. For those who don't know, I've won 120 dollars on that crap and only played it twice. 8)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
209 said:
Bah gawd a 5 dollar one. I won a 10 dollar DK ticket on Twitter today and immediately put it on tonight-Saturday's NBA games.

That's almost exactly the Nascar lineup I was going to do as well. For those who don't know, I've won 120 dollars on that crap and only played it twice. 8)

Curious how you pick your Nascar lineups. I mostly looked at Practice Speed/Spots where drivers could move up by the end of the race but I'm not sure how consistent the actual scoring is (e.g. do drivers that finish near the top of the poles consistently do better because they have a chance to lead so many laps?)

Staff member
Reaction score
Pick someone in the first two rows (whoever it is you expect to lead a lot of the early laps), then pick guys who have a good record on that track. Practice speed also factors in somewhere but I don't put a ton of stock into it. You do lose points if drivers finish below their starting position.

I'm also afraid to pick people who haven't won before.

As for this season, Joe Gibbs Racing has been dominant so you should get at least one of them, which you did.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was really big into fanduel a few years back. I still play every now and then, but nowhere near as much as I used to. I find it hilarious that I seem to do best at baseball, when I fuckin hate the sport.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Was sitting at around 224 entering yesterday but Tristan and Frye did nothing so I finished at 779 (with Top 450 being paid).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Doing a Beginner Nascar for $5 ($500 Lug Nut) for the Coca-Cola 600 with the following lineup: Kurt Busch, Truex Jr, Denny Hamlin, Ricky Stenhouse Jr, Ryan Blaney, and Ryan Newman.

Swapped out Ryan Blaney and inserted Kasey Kahne instead. Kahne's won 4 times and finished 2nd three other times.

Stats courtesy of Racing-Reference.info

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My buddy is damn good at FD hockey and hooks me up with double up lineups that win probably 3-4 times a week easy. GPP's have been so-so but some decent scores in small ones. Football is impossible but have won here or there.

DK MMA is a disaster. Almost impossible to win unless you nail an upset. The way the salaries are too I'm forced to pick people I know will lose.

Staff member
Reaction score
1 Thomas Almeida $10,200 swap out
10 Erik Koch $9,400 swap out
4 Vitor Miranda $10,500 swap out
3 Rick Story $9,700 swap out
2 Renan Barao $10,100 swap out

I'd be stunned if any of these lost. Koch has been shit in his last few fights, but Campbell is an overrated kickboxer. I think Koch can work him over on the ground.

Would have put Abel Trujillo in there, but his salary was too high. This is only the second time I've played DK MMA so...

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I ended up finishing 29th out of 115 entries in Nascar. Only the Top 25 paid out with Ricky Stenhouse Jr (going from 3rd to 15th) in particular killing me despite my owning Truex and having 3 others finish in the Top 10.

Things I found in the Top 10 placers...
#1: They all owned Truex Jr and he dominated like nobody else, scoring 197 points.
#2: Almost all of them had Jimmie Johnson, who finished 3rd after starting 7th and scored over 80 points himself.
#3: Almost all of them had 3 drivers in the 20-31 range who vastly outperformed their starting spots with Austin Dillon, Kyle Larson, and Matt Kenseth being the most common. This is where I should've dropped Stenhouse and opted for somebody else :( Only variant was 1 person who had the Top 3 finishers in the race.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Entered a couple $1 Nascar Races ($12.5K Happy Hour and Nascar $1 Double Up $2K).

Tentatively penciled in this lineup
1] Dale Earnhardt Jr (obvious): Won twice and has finished 3, 5, 1, 1, 11 (from start at 20), and 4
2] Greg Biffle: Last 3 races went from 25th to 5th, 27th to 12th, and 25th to 5
3] Kyle Larson: Last 4 races finished 5th, 11th, 8th, and 12th Depends on Qualifying Pole Position Whether I Keep Him
4] Jimme Johnson: Won once and has finished Top 6 in 3 of the last 4 races
5] Ryan Newman (obvious): Has finished in the Top 9 in 7 out of 10 races
6] Tony Stewart: Had a 5 race stretch jumping from 28th to 11th, 22nd to 3rd, 28th to 5th, 19th to 4th, and 20th to 9th Depends on Qualifying Pole Position Whether I Keep Him

My other options if low enough/I can swing the salaries
- Clint Bowyer: Consistenly finished in the mid-teen range but usually starts too high that the position differential isn't worth it. 20th or later is ideal.
- Jamie McMurray: Been hot the last 4 races finishing 10th, 7th, 7th, and 15th but again starting position will matter. 18th or later is ideal.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Rolling with the following lineup in both contests... Mainly aiming for guys who have shown an ability to finish Top 5 or higher or are starting low enough (with great history at the track) that they could dominate in place differential.

#1: Dale Earnhardt Jr - Starting 8th but has dominated the track during his career. Great potential to win.
#2: Greg Biffle - Starting 15th but should finish well inside the Top 10 by the end of the race. Has a chance at finishing Top 5 yet again.
#3: Ryan Newman - Starting 22nd and like DE has mostly dominated the track consistently.
#4: Kyle Larson - Starting 21st and has consistently finished within Top 10 range his last several races.
#5: Clint Bowyer - Starting 23rd but has been very good finishing 11th, 4th, and 8th in 3 of his last 4 races there.
#6: Jamie McMurray - Starting 26th and has been inside the Top 10 in 3 of his last 4 races. Perfect spot and selection.

Dumped Tony Stewart who is starting in the 6th spot. Also took out Jimmie Johnson who was starting in the 7th spot.

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't use that lineup.

Bowyer is on a terrible team.

Pocono is notoriously difficult to pass on. Try to pick cars more near the front.

Mine is:

Carl Edwards
Brad Keselowski
Tony Stewart
Ryan Newman
Chase Elliott
Kasey Kahne

Staff member
Reaction score
I did two other contests as well.

Copa America starts today and they did a four game set with USA vs. Colombia, Haiti vs. Peru, Costa Rica vs. Paraguay, and Brazil vs. Ecuador. The lineups are highly dependent on who gets picked to start, I decided to parlay some of my knowledge into a team that should cash.

GK Pedro Gallese HAI vs PER 0.0 $5,000
D Dani Alves BRA vs ECU 5.8 $5,800
D Ronald Matarrita CRC vs PAR 10.5 $4,500
M P. Coutinho BRA vs ECU 12.5 $6,800
M Darlington Nagbe USA vs COL 8.5 $6,100
F Carlos Bacca USA vs COL 8.9 $8,100
F Joel Campbell CRC vs PAR 6.2 $6,900
UTIL Paolo Guerrero HAI vs PER 0.0 $6,600

Also did one for the UFC, but I don't want to post that one unless it wins something because I don't think it's very good.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
209 said:
Don't use that lineup.

Bowyer is on a terrible team.

Pocono is notoriously difficult to pass on. Try to pick cars more near the front.

Mine is:

Carl Edwards
Brad Keselowski
Tony Stewart
Ryan Newman
Chase Elliott
Kasey Kahne

Interesting team. Not so sure on Kahne considering he usually starts high up and falls far by the end of the race given his prior race history (he's only finished higher than he's started 5 times and 2 of those were in 2005 & 2009).

Decided to roll with these lineups...
Double Up
8th Dale Earnhardt Jr
15th Greg Biffle
17th Martin Truex Jr (A little iffy on this one tbh as he tends to be 50/50 at Pocono but hoping his red hot streak continues)
21st Kyle Larson
22nd Ryan Newman
35th Regan Smith (Cheap point differential pick)

$12.5K Guarantee Lineup 1 - Using this lineup to test out what I learned last week from the winning lineups in trying to get 2-3 guys who could dominate along with 3 guys who should do very well in place differential.
7th Jimmie Johnson
9th Kurt Busch
10th Denny Hamlin
22nd Ryan Newman
26th Jamie McMurray
34th David Ragan (Cheap point differential pick)

$12.5K Guarantee Lineup 2 - Using this lineup to gauge "past track history"/"top end driver" theory
6th Tony Stewart
8th Dale Earnhardt Jr
9th Kurt Busch
10th Denny Hamlin
15th Greg Biffle
22nd Ryan Newman

Would love to compare the lineups at race's end to see which fared best and possibly why.

Staff member
Reaction score
Tony Stewart was the sole thing that cost me money AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
209 said:
Mine is:

Carl Edwards
Brad Keselowski
Tony Stewart
Ryan Newman
Chase Elliott
Kasey Kahne

Decided to roll with these lineups...
Double Up
8th Dale Earnhardt Jr
15th Greg Biffle
17th Martin Truex Jr (A little iffy on this one tbh as he tends to be 50/50 at Pocono but hoping his red hot streak continues)
21st Kyle Larson
22nd Ryan Newman
35th Regan Smith (Cheap point differential pick)

$12.5K Guarantee Lineup 1 - Using this lineup to test out what I learned last week from the winning lineups in trying to get 2-3 guys who could dominate along with 3 guys who should do very well in place differential.
7th Jimmie Johnson
9th Kurt Busch
10th Denny Hamlin
22nd Ryan Newman
26th Jamie McMurray
34th David Ragan (Cheap point differential pick)

$12.5K Guarantee Lineup 2 - Using this lineup to gauge "past track history"/"top end driver" theory
6th Tony Stewart
8th Dale Earnhardt Jr
9th Kurt Busch
10th Denny Hamlin
15th Greg Biffle
22nd Ryan Newman

Would love to compare the lineups at race's end to see which fared best and possibly why.

Total: Spent $3, earned $2. Net Loss: $1

$1 Double Up Lineup: Finished 890 out of 2,272 - Earned $2 (207 FP) Mostly killed it with this lineup outside of Biffle and Truex Jr proving to disappoint as I expected scoring just 23. Earnhardt Jr, Larson (45.5 FP), and Newman were all solid and Regan Smith was another very good low salary snag scoring me 35 FP after finishing at 22nd from starting at 35th.
$12.5K Lineup 1: Finished 7,982 out of 14,705 (182.5 FP) in large part due to Jimmie Johnson's crash. Didn't have enough top end (outside of the Kurt Busch selection) but McMurray/Newman/Ragan trio paid off with 110 points between them. Denny Hamlin also disappointed and scored a disappointing 26.
$12.5K Lineup 2: Finished 8,679 out of 14,705 (176.5 FP) thanks to the -18 points by Tony Stewart. Kurt and Earnhardt Jr ended up finishing 1st & 2nd in the race. Also had Newman but Hamlin disappointed and Biffle plummeted finishing with an awful 10.5 FP.

If I did the math(?) right, 909's lineup scored 216.75?

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep and if I'd picked almost anyone else I'd have cashed out 10 bucks or more in the contest I was in.

I did the math on your original lineup and it would have failed to cash in every grand prize contest. At least I was right about that!

Next race presents some different issues given it is much easier to pass on that track. Going to avoid certain teams as well and find a way to get Kevin Harvick in there.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Still can't get around 909 being a NASCAR dude now

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Winning Lineups in the $12.5K

#1: Racers finished 1, 2, 4, 11, 12, and 16. Had 3 racers at 21, 22, and 32 starting spots.
#2: Racers finished 1, 3, 4, 7, 13, and 16. Had 2 racers at 24 and 32 starting spots. (Same Owner as #1 Lineup)
#3: Racers finished 1, 2, 4, 10, 11, and 16. Had 2 racers at 21 and 32 starting spots.
#4: Racers finished 1, 3, 4, 11, 12, and 16. Had 3 racers at 21, 22, and 32 starting spots.
#5: Racers finished 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, and 13. Had 1 racer at 24 starting spot.

No surprise but having guys finishing in the Top 4 = Success. Biggest key to snagging a super high spot I noticed was lucking into the low driver who finished super high (Allmendinger, Bayne, Larson, or Newman).

Staff member
Reaction score
AA484 said:
Still can't get around 909 being a NASCAR dude now

I've been watching that shit for 20 years...just never revealed it here.

Indy Car too.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You and Harley need to get in on the DVDVR annual Fantasy pool next year. If you aren't members over there I can hook you up with the password and league ID.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I looked back at the Pocono Race: Earnhardt Jr, Larson, Kurt Busch, and Ryan Newman all had torn up the Pocono Track in their race histories so them all finishing well/scoring high wasn't that surprising. Allmendinger was the only real surprise but had some history of finishing well ignoring his car troubled races.

I'm targeting/eyeing the following drivers...
The Obvious Picks
- Kevin Harvick. Has finished 2nd in 5 of the last 6 races and has dominated.
- Joey Logano. Has finished 9th or better in his last 6 races including one win.
- Paul Menard. Has finished 14th or better in his last 7 races including a run of 4th place in 3 straight races.
- Brad Keselowski. Utterly dominant in his last 9 races finishing 13th or higher including 3 finishes in the Top 3.
- Clint Bowyer. Insanely dominant outside of his last race. His 13 races prior he finished inside the Top 10 in 11 of them regardless of whether he started high or low.

Could Pay Off If Starting Low Enough
- Chase Elliott. Has been red hot in his races as a rookie and deserves a long look.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. Has finished in the Top 10 in 6 of his last 8 races but finished 37th & 36th in 2013.
- Denny Hamlin. Very inconsistent but has flashed finishing 7th, 11th, and 5th in his last 3 races.
- Martin Truex Jr. Finished 3rd in both races in 2015 but has been very inconsistent.
- Greg Biffle. Used to dominate the track but has struggled mightily in his last 4 races.
- Tony Stewart. Like Biffle, dominated the track but has struggled recently. Did finish 5th & 11th in 2 of his last 4 races.

Low Cost Sleepers I'm Targeting
- Casey Mears. Has dominated despite usually starting low. Sneaky Pick. Has Started & Finished: 30/14, 37/7, 29/11, 29/18, 42/6, 33/25, 31/24, 26/17, and 27/13 in past races.
- A.J. Allmendinger. Usually starts really low but has finished 19th, 11th, 13th, 11th, 19th, and 13th in past races.
- Reed Sorenson. Another guy who starts low but has finished 5th and 8th in years past. Has flashed in a couple races starting 40th and finishing 29th and 27th if you're aiming for a Top End Lineup.
- Cole Whitt. Low starter point differential guy. Has finished 42/28, 36/25, 40/32, and 35/27 in his 4 races.

My tentative ideal lineup will likely have (dependent on how the Qualifiers/Practice goes of course)
Kevin Harvick
Joey Logano/Brad Keselowski
Paul Menard
Clint Bowyer
Casey Mears

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently have penciled in the following lineups... Will tweak after tomorrow's qualifying laps. I'll be looking at Paul Menard/Chase Elliott/Clint Bowyer closely in terms of where they end up qualifying but I'm really high on Casey Mears as a cheaper option to finish higher than he starts. Guys like Allmendinger/Sorenson allow for higher end lineups as well.

I think the low end (5th/6th) lineup spot picks are key. Regan Smith scored me 35 FP (1.3% owned) in last week's race and David Ragan scored me 32 FP (6.3% owned). Much better values for the Salary $$ too with a lower chance of costing you a lot of FP outside of crashing.

$12.5K Happy Hour
Kevin Harvick
Joey Logano
Brad Keselowski
Clint Bowyer
A.J. Allmendinger
Casey Mears

$1 Double Up
Kevin Harvick
Joey Logano
Brad Keselowski
Dale Earnhardt Jr
Casey Mears
Reed Sorenson

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
In an early stunner due to issues with other cars, Kevin Harvick is starting 29th. Round 2 of the qualifying is now coming up.

Staff member
Reaction score
That makes him a prime choice now but the thing is, any driver with similar salary would be lesser owned and if any finish with more points than him it takes those people up the standings. Quite a predicament.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
209 said:
That makes him a prime choice now but the thing is, any driver with similar salary would be lesser owned and if any finish with more points than him it takes those people up the standings. Quite a predicament.

Yeah. I think I'll be keeping him just because he's so low that FP wise (short of crashing really) he should make a killing in place differential alone.

My tweaked lineups...
$12.5K Happy Hour
Kevin Harvick ($10,600) - 29th
Dale Earnhardt Jr ($9,400) - 27th
Joey Logano ($9,800) - 1st
Brad Keselowski ($9,200) - 15th
Cole Whitt ($5,000) - 36th
Reed Sorenson ($4,700) - 40th

$1 Double Up
Kevin Harvick ($10,600) - 29th
Joey Logano ($9,800) - 1st
Dale Earnhardt Jr ($9,400) - 27th
Clint Bowyer ($6,700) - 34th
Paul Menard ($6,300) - 32nd
Casey Mears ($5,900) - 24th

Dropped Allmendinger, Reed Sorenson, and Brad Keselowski in the Double Up. Dumped Allmindinger, Mears, and Bowyer in the happy hour.

$12.5K: I'm banking on going super cheap on Whitt/Sorenson with hopes both can finish mid 20s and earn solid scores that way. I'm banking on Logano to dominate laps led while Dale and Harvick murder it in place differential. Keselowski should have a good shot at finishing inside the Top 10.

$1 Double Up Mostly the same tactic while weighing past track record a little more with Bowyer, Mears, and Menard who all should easily outdo their starting positions.

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't decided what contest I'm going to enter yet because it's dependent on what I win the next two days, but...

Jimmie Johnson
Brad Keselowski
Denny Hamlin
Chase Elliott
Aric Almirola
AJ Allmendinger

Almirola is starting 30th and generally has a much better car than that so he's underpriced. This lineup is p. stacked overall with drivers who do a good job managing their equipment. I considered putting Kahne down instead of Elliott but that seems risky.