Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dark Side of the Ring

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
"it is interesting that latter in life she was arrested in jewerly theft" "i've seen people who lie come off as believable...whatever".

Fuck Dave.
Meltzer clearly has a personal relationship with Flair, which I think has been proven over the years, but I think he's really burying his head in the sand about this. Who cares what the victim did later in their life? It's about the event that happened at that time, at that place. Bad people can also have bad events happen to them. It doesn't excuse the act as being right in the moment. Also if Flair's physically covering up this woman from view, no other person is likely gonna see what exactly is happening (again, Flair had on a robe which blocks a lot) and no fucking way is Flair gonna tell Meltzer he committed sexual assault.

Also, Meltzer's coming off as a dumbass regarding liars who came off as believable and insinuating the flight attendant is just a liar. There's a reason that polygraph tests aren't valid in court cases (it's easy to "cheat" and lie). There's a reason sexual abuse survivors don't come forward and that's precisely why, because their truths are seen as lies/disingenuous attacks on the attacker/faulty because they aren't absolutely 100% on the details.

Kamala The Simp

Integral Poster

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Just finished the Kanyon episode. So glad they covered randomly making him dress and sing like Boy George after being on the shelf for over a year only for Taker to murder him with that sickening chairshot. Also glad they talked about Flair on Stern burying him. I always thought Kanyon was underappreciated and watching this made me so sad.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
I was doing really well, better than I expected, but then Luke Hawx said that Chris was out of pain now. I was done after that. I was such a big fan of Kanyon, especially since he was from so close to where I am from. I had a friend who went to the same school as Chris growing up, and even though we didn’t know him, it almost felt like we knew him in a round about way. I read in the Bucks’ book about how Matt talked Chris out of killing himself that night, but to hear to story, it just hit differently.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Just finished the Kanyon episode. So glad they covered randomly making him dress and sing like Boy George after being on the shelf for over a year only for Taker to murder him with that sickening chairshot. Also glad they talked about Flair on Stern burying him. I always thought Kanyon was underappreciated and watching this made me so sad.
Agreed with all these points. Also glad they showed Cena & his towing the WWE company line prior to the Ric Flair doubling down on those remarks right to Kanyon's face basically. I loved his work in WCW especially the stuff with Raven and when the Alliance happened, I really hoped Kanyon would've gotten to do more than he did. The angle with Undertaker was odder because Kanyon never wrestled a match against him and ended up basically jobbing on Velocity for most of 2003 to guys like Bill DeMott and Orlando Jordan.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
This one didn't do much for me.
The WWE not using him stuff was more about their bloated roster and Kanyon having the WCW stench on him than his sexual preferences. He was then hurt before the Alliance angle even finished and he was approaching his mid 30s by the time he healed. The WWE's crack writing staff didn't see the need to re-package him. They squandered plenty of talent the past 20 years.
The Taker stuff was of course probably a "rib" on Chris's sexual preference, but I "accept"/expect the pro sports/wrestling locker rooms to be full of immature, drug and fame addled people, so I struggle to go full Maude Flanders. If you watch or read about the Pat Patterson/Bruce Prichard co-shoot interview they did, you realize the main guys under Vince are/were still in full high school mentality.

Of course it sucks he had mental issues and likely some CTE, drugs, whatever mixed in with it. You can break down the back story of an absolute shit ton of guys from the late 90s/ early 2000s and trace the road to their end. Mike Awesome, Test, Renegade, etc.

Last edited:

Kamala The Simp

Integral Poster
I mean, he was an early mentor to Matt & Nick Jackson so I could see easily see him being in the role Brandon Cutler or Don Callis is rn. Some people might be flummoxed by the idea but I feel like Kanyon would crush it as an annoying lackey for the Elite.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
It was "nice" to get the perspective of his gf/wife whatever.

I thought it was odd that Corny explained how they put Bedlam over Bob Armstrong and Randy Savage as they tried to create a monster heel...then 9 months later "We let him go because we didn't have a spot for him" without saying "He didn't get over" or something.