Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dark Side of the Ring

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Watched the Bruiser Brody episode on Youtube. Really felt bad for Tony Atlas too.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I watched the Montreal Screwjob episode last night. Not a ton everyone hasn't heard before but it was nice getting Earl Hebner's point of view and hearing Bret's jabs towards HBK and Bischoff. Scott Hall was entertaining too.

I actually had no idea Corny and Russo both claimed to come up with the finish (guess I haven't seen as many shoots as I thought). Their little duel towards the end was funny but seemed pointless in the end. Solid episode overall.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
https://twitter.com/BustedOpenRadio/status/1118969527931473920?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1118969527931473920&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fnodq.com%2Fnews%2F557696659.shtml

During an appearance on Busted Open Radio, former WWE referee Earl Hebner talked about the Montreal Screwjob from the 1997 Survivor Series PPV and how he felt both Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels knew in advance what was going to happen.

“I think both of them knew, to be honest with you. Why would you let a man put you in your own finish?”

“I’m not gonna lie about it anymore,” Hebner said. “I’ve been trying to protect Bret. I can bet you 110 percent Shawn Michaels knew what was going on.”

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I expected the usual kayfabe and BS from the World Class survivors and got plenty of it, but it was interesting to see Kevin almost forget that he was speaking on camera when talking about Fritz pulling the gun on him. We *almost* saw the legit anger at his father come out for once. Although Kevin has obviously convinced himself that the lies are actually truth, can we really blame the guy? He clearly does it as a coping mechanism so he can forge on and keep living. His property in Hawaii is AMAZING; it looks like an absolute paradise.

Next episode is about Gino Hernandez and it sounds like it should be really good, even to us. Apparently we're going to hear new stories that haven't been widely told before. I listened to an interview given by one of the directors and he made a point to let us know in advance that
Gino is NOT Paul Boesch's illegitimate son,
as has been rumored for many years. That may or may not be discussed in the documentary; I cannot remember.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I talked to Jules Strongbow about the Von Erich episode since he was there for several months starting in August or so of 1985.
He had a unique take on the family deaths. When he arrived in the territory, Chris Von Erich ran up to him and said "Hey Chief, I have Indian arrowheads from the family property!"
Jules: "Oh? From where?"
Chris: "There's an Indian burial ground we go play in"
Jules backed away and asked Chris if he ever has dreams about being chased by Indians. Chris turned white and asked "How do you know that?!!?"
Jules: "Chris, you need to take the arrow heads and some tobacco and put it back on the graves or else the spirits will keep coming for you and your family."
Apparently the spirits already had taken David, and since Chris did not heed the advice, they took Mike, Kerry and Chris too.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I watched the Von Erichs episode last night. Like the screwjob one, there wasn't a ton discussed that I hadn't heard before. I never saw the ESPN documentary so I don't know how it holds up to this but I enjoyed it. My favorite part was Kerry's run in WWE since that is the most spotlight the family had for a lot of young(er) fans.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Von Erichs ep is up on Viceland.com here: https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/the-last-of-the-von-erichs/5c1a9c65be407707c961c831

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Per the DSOTR Instagram, the Dino Bravo episode has been cut from season one. They did say it will be the first thing they work on if the show is renewed.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I had fallen behind on all my recordings lately but since I don't know as much on stuff like the Von Erichs and Gino, been saving them until I had more time to pay attention.

The Von Erichs stuff is just so depressing. Like, I was familiar enough to know they had so much trouble but all the details makes it more and more sad. And the story Brody shared just makes things doubly eerie.

As for Super Leather's reports, I never thought they were going to show the Dino one yet. I thought Dino was one of the ones they had in the can for Season 2 along with a Benoit one. As far as I knew it was going to be all the ones that aired so far plus a Moolah one, which I believe is already available on some On Demand services.

It is kinda crazy seeing how some of these more tragic stories are so interwoven. Brody, Dino Bravo and I swear Gino were all shown minimally in the Von Erichs one.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the Moolah episode's narrative skews in favor of her, but she still looks like a giant scumbag anyway. She looks like one to me at least. They even had that Fight for Moolah moron speak up on her behalf, but who the fuck is he? Thanks for your perspective, now go back into your mother's closet where you belong. He is who I fear women see me as when they find out I am a lifelong fan who has expressed that fandom in print media.

What I got from the various stories told was that Moolah treated people in accordance to how she benefited from the relationship. She has her defenders, but it is obvious that she manipulated & took advantage of women as she could. Moolah was a product of her environment; women wrestlers lived a fucked-off dog-eat-dog existence back then to say the least. She continued the cycle of abuse with subsequent generations.

Lady Victoria said that you can't take away Moolah's history just because she was an asshole. That is true, but being an asshole is part of her history and that shouldn't be taken away either. Wendi Richter put it best when she said that Moolah opened a lot of doors, but also kept them closed for a long time. Perfect summation of her legacy if you ask me.

This episode didn't change my mind on being a member of the "fuck Moolah" camp, but it did remind me that it was about time that I ordered a copy of Lipstick & Dynamite. Definitely recommended.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Lipstick and Dynamite is so good. Great director and I love Neko Case. I'm sad that all the ladies in the documentary have since passed, but it's great that there's a memento of their accomplishments in wrestling.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
https://www.thewrap.com/viceland-dark-side-of-the-ring-season-2-renewed/

Second season incoming and more episodes in this season

I know Benoit and Dino Bravo had been rumored if a renewal happened

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
https://www.thewrap.com/viceland-dark-side-of-the-ring-season-2-renewed/

Second season incoming and more episodes in this season

I know Benoit and Dino Bravo had been rumored if a renewal happened

Says the run will be 10 Episodes for Season 2, curious what they cover in this run. I kind of hope they cover the Mass Transit Incident at some point.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Could get a couple if they expanded into Mexico. The murder of Espanto I, Charly Manson going to prison, etc.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
JR said on a recent podcast he did interviews for a Brawl for All episode for Season 2

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/daqcum/martha_hart_to_be_part_of_an_upcoming_dark_side/

Owen's going to be covered on an upcoming episode.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Season 2 is premiering in late March and the episodes are going to be;

Rise and Fall of Chris Benoit (two hour (two part?) episode)
Brawl For All
Life and Times of Dino Bravo
New Jack
Herb Abrams (!!! That is more obscure than I'd expect)
Life and Times of Owen Hart.

CAN'T WAIT!

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm assuming they're gonna lump the Mass Transit stuff in New Jack's episode. They also may as well cover when he also tried to legit kill Vic Grimes.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIjXUMUhjjg

Just as I predicted, Mass Transit and Vic Grimes are going to be covered in the New Jack episode. I see there also going to be an episode dedicated to Jimmy Snuka (and him murdering his girlfriend will certainly be talked about).

Someone get the hose for Brody because it looks like there will be an episode on DR. D DAVID SCHULTZ!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Winter Epicland said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIjXUMUhjjg

Just as I predicted, Mass Transit and Vic Grimes are going to be covered in the New Jack episode. I see there also going to be an episode dedicated to Jimmy Snuka (and him murdering his girlfriend will certainly be talked about).

Someone get the hose for Brody because it looks like there will be an episode on DR. D DAVID SCHULTZ!

I'm excited to see the Legion of Doom/Road Warriors and the Brawl For All covered too.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Dr. D better go beyond Stossell. Hope they show that really kinda fucked up vignette "At Home With Dr. D" they aired on Prime Time or whatever it was, because it's creepy.

They could get two good sized seasons about 1990-93 alone.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Are you talking about that vignette where Dr D shows Vince his collection of guns? I remember Wrestlecrap had a write-up about it a few years ago.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I mean the one with him and his "family."

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
March 24th is official premiere date and Chris Jericho is gonna be the narrator for this season

Logic be damned, I'd like to see Jericho work in the catchphrase "A little bit of the tragedy" in each episode.