Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dark Side of the Ring

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Austin was also at Pillman's funeral, which Pillman's sister failed to mention. It was actually one of Meltz more poignant writing efforts as he described Austin being unable to enter the church and instead going to a hilltop over looking the church and soaking in the scene from afar.
That is super poignant since it's semi-well documented that Austin has a hard time processing grief in public (he's known for turning down a lot of Make A Wish requests cause he's afraid it'll trigger the wrong emotions and he'll ruin the kid's experience)

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
The Nick Gage ep was very fascinating for a guy like me who's generally avoided the Deathmatch scene.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I liked the Nick Gage episode. It was refreshing to hear from Moxley as opposed to the usual talking heads. The account from both on the Arquette match was pretty interesting.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Nick is an amazing redemption story, and it was great to see them tell that side. He’s one of the most beloved wrestlers on the indies. All yesterday wrestlers and fans wrote about their stories with him for #MDKDay, and the love was amazing to see.

It must be so hard to walk out your front door and see the bridge your brother jumped from to his death, every single day. Also, everyone needs a ride or die like Sondra.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know, he never really came across as sympathetic at any point to me. He seemed like a psycho from the get-go. He was definitely an asshole in the David Arquette match and you could tell he was out there to do some New Jack shit and shoot on him regardless of any prearranged agreements.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah i dont think he came across as sympathetic at all tbh. Not saying he isn't a nice guy to his fans or anything but he seemed like a psycho.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
That is super poignant since it's semi-well documented that Austin has a hard time processing grief in public (he's known for turning down a lot of Make A Wish requests cause he's afraid it'll trigger the wrong emotions and he'll ruin the kid's experience)
Now I only have to hope it wasn't actually Owen's funeral.
---
Not feeling this Nick Gage episode so far. Partially due to Gage looking like modern day HBK if he was missing a key chromosome.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
So they apparently got the flight crew who worked the flight from hell for the episode. If true, if they interview the flight attendant who Flair forced to touch his lil naitch....oh boy...

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thinking about Pillman and wondering if he had heat on him for being so close to Meltzer. (After Brian's death, Melanie told Meltzer that Brian considered Dave his best friend) Even back then plenty of people hated Dave and Pillman was pretty open with the friendship and being an obvious source.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As they mentioned in the doc, Pillman was already on the low end of most bookers list of guys to push for various reasons. Even before he signed with WCW in 89 his start date got pushed back because new booker George Scott didn't want to use him.
Pillman being as popular and notable in WCW is a little remarkable once you really break down his run. His look and charisma shot him to the upper mid-card where he could dance with the Horsemen in big matches (mostly not 1 on 1 main events at live events) but was then handed the light hw role (which would doom most pushes), Watts de-pushed him due to the contract issues, the Hollywood Blonds seemingly got over by accident, but were the scape goats for a time when magically WCW still failed to draw money, Pillman and Austin feuded for several months after which Pillman was largely forgotten again as the roster grew and Hogan and the cartoon heels took over.
"California" Brian Pillman was a babyface off shoot of his Hollywood Blond gimmick, and that's what he was stuck with for most of 95 before he started his loose cannon stuff.
So if people knew he was a WON mark, maybe few cared as he was largely out of relevance, perhaps just another guy who could have been happy keeping his nose down and taking Turner checks. Maybe the guys were even a little bemused that Pillman was pulling a Terry Taylor/Eddie Gilbert and using Dave to whine about booking.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Surprised they didn't mention Warrior's comeback match with the equally problematic Orlando Jordan in last night's episode. I think Warrior is the poster boy of getting so far by knowing so little. He always looked great but his ego and refusal to improve his game (or at the very least, not knowing how to hide his flaws better) killed him dead pretty early in his career. I can't imagine how far Vince would have taken his push after his return in '96. I did smirk when they went over him squashing HHH at Mania though.

I didn't think they would dive into his political rants. I had no idea he had some "thoughts" on Hurricane Katrina.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
boring episode for me. They didn't get enough people to go on record maybe. Not really anything new. We all know Warrior's a scum although I didn't agree with JR saying he's the worst wrestler ever or anything.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
boring episode for me. They didn't get enough people to go on record maybe. Not really anything new. We all know Warrior's a scum although I didn't agree with JR saying he's the worst wrestler ever or anything.
I think Corny said the producers freaked out a bit after the A+E version aired as they thought they left too much out about Warrior's extreme views and such. I haven't listened to the Dark Side of the Pod yet.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I liked the Ultimate Warrior A&E biography. I thought his widow was honest about his political ranting stuff, considering the pedestal he's been otherwise on since he died. I don't think they ever said he'd changed about or regretted any of that.

That letter to Vince McMahon was awful tone deaf considering he'd been working there for several years at that point. It does seem like he was able to calm down at the end of his life but he must have been some kind of stubborn to have made some of those mistakes. And it's kinda surprising that none of the people he worked for and with in Texas, Tennessee, etc, even relatively briefly, were able to get him to understand the way this wrestling works.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can see the Warrior's line of thinking with the Hogan letter. Hogan was the vet QB who Vince (sort of) benched and gave Warrior the start for a season. Warrior knew what the starting QB was making and tried to get bumped up if he was going to be featured on top.
The fact that he and Warrior were partnered at the PPV certainly helped the case in his mind, as he could think of himself on equal footing then (even if the box office didn't pan that out).
If Hogan is headlining A shows with ____ perks, then Warrior figured his role as the B show headline slot should also include the same benefits, etc.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
If they make that deal no way do they spend millions on Tyson the next month. Warrior turning them down was the best thing that ever happened to Vince.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And if Warrior would've signed, it could have been him instead walking out in 2002 instead of putting over Lesnar on a random tv.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Definitely a master class in the negative effects of childhood trauma. Kudos to the family for putting their stories out there.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Darkside of the Pod is worth it this week (On the JJ "My World" stream. At 50 mins or so they go in depth into the death of Jolynn. The owner of the trailer park heard a woman scream, so he started to drive around the lot. He saw Jake's sister laying on the ground with a woman over her...moved on.....then doubled back and gave chase as the kidnappers rushed off with Jolynn in the car.