Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

David Stern Memorial This Month in NBA Thread (January 2020)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trying to return to some normalcy and what better with some lolKnicks news.

First, Marcus Morris might get fined and/or suspended for a weird misogynistic rant he went on after last night's game with The Grizzlies where he talked about how Jae Crowder played and acted like a woman.

Then Ja Morant talked about how the visitors locker room at MSG had no water pressure.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://apnews.com/d465010625f8118c5fdbf8e05103d21c
NBA is changing the format of the All Star Game this year as tribute to Kobe.

Format sounds---uh, kind of weird/confusing but I guess no one cares about the All Star Game anymore so what the heck?

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I do kind of like the idea of resetting the scores after every quarter, but yeah, that's way too convoluted. I was thinking something like having one team all wear 8 and the other team all wear 24 would be a nice tribute. I mean it's nice that they're paying homage but this is a little too gimmicky for my taste

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
All-Star reserves

East:
Jayson Tatum
Domantas Sabonis
Jimmy Butler
Bam Adebayo
Khris Middleton
Ben Simmons
Kyle Lowry

West:
Nikola Jokic
Russell Westbrook
Brandon Ingram
Chris Paul
Damian Lillard
Donovan Mitchell
Rudy Gobert

Got all of them right in the West, missed two in the East (had Drummond and Beal in place of Middleton and Lowry). I'm not as critical of the Middleton selection after looking at his percentages, but you can't tell me that Washington would be better with him instead of Bradley Beal

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
no issue with the picks tbh. there's a couple of snubs, and I think the rosters should be expanded to 15, but nothing is too egregious.

Beal should be there. I give Middleton the edge because he's a 2-way player on the best team in the league. He's kind of underrated IMO because he plays with Giannis. He's a really smart, efficient player who doesn't have a flashy/sexy game.

Given a choice between Tatum or Brown I pick Brown, but that's a tossup. Tatum has more raw talent but as of right now I think Brown is the better player. Might not be the case in 2 or 3 years, but it's now

Glad Sabonis made it in. He deserves it but I wasn't sure they'd give it to him because I figured Bam was a lock

A little surprised Gobert and Mitchell both made it. I thought some voters would pick one or the other

The only WTF pick to me is Westbrook. Yes, he's a huge star. Yes, he puts up big counting stats. He's also by volume one of the least efficient players in the league and mostly there on reputation. I think this is probably the last year he makes it, or at least should be

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd pick Jaylen Brown over Tatum too but it's close and Tatum is the bigger star so I guess that is why he got the nod.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bulls fans are furious Lavine missed it, but he was kind of shitty this season until like December. Someone like Beal is putting up better numbers and still missed it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
THE TUGSTER said:
I do kind of like the idea of resetting the scores after every quarter, but yeah, that's way too convoluted. I was thinking something like having one team all wear 8 and the other team all wear 24 would be a nice tribute. I mean it's nice that they're paying homage but this is a little too gimmicky for my taste
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1223338851202215936
Now these tributes I like. Class move IMO.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Rising Stars rosters

U.S. Roster
Miles Bridges (Charlotte), Wendell Carter Jr. (Chicago), Devonte’ Graham (Charlotte), Tyler Herro (Miami), Jaren Jackson Jr. (Memphis), Ja Morant (Memphis), Kendrick Nunn (Miami), Eric Paschall (Golden State), PJ Washington (Charlotte), Zion Williamson (New Orleans), Trae Young (Atlanta)

World Roster
Nickeil Alexander-Walker (New Orleans), Deandre Ayton (Phoenix), RJ Barrett (New York), Brandon Clarke (Memphis), Luka Doncic (Dallas), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (Oklahoma City), Rui Hachimura (Washington), Svi Mykhailiuk (Detroit), Josh Okogie (Minnesota), Moritz Wagner (Washington)

They went with the name value on this by putting Ayton and Zion on rosters despite their limited play this season. For the best given how this game usually is but usually they try to pretend it is based on season play. Curious how much, if at all, Doncic and Young are involved.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Suns-Thunder pregame has a lot going on

Looks like Bill Russell is there and wearing a Kobe tribute hat, which is good.

Suns think the best way to gripe about Devin Booker being left out of the All-Star game is to get the thoughts of children around the arena.

Looks like February 7th will be Kelly Oubre fashion bobble head night but my buddy and I have NXT house show tickets that night.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
At the risk of being an asshole, when was the last time an NBA game played inside the continental U.S. started this late?

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably the last time the Lakers were in the playoffs and got pushed back by another game.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Firmino of the 909 said:
Probably the last time the Lakers were in the playoffs and got pushed back by another game.
Doesn't there usually end up being a point, though, after which they just start the game, and are like, "Guess you just don't get to see the first part"?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
That means you wish Jason Kidd upon Lakers fans, which is a pretty messed up thing to do right now.