Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

DC & Marvel Animated Discussion

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Awesome News! http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Superman-Animated-Series-Superman-Batman-Public-Enemies/12216

Superman: The Animated Series - 'Superman/Batman: Public Enemies' DTV Reunites Bruce Timm with Select Cast of Superman:TAS & Batman:TAS Exec. Prod. Timm brings Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly, Clancy Brown & Smallville's Allison Mack together!

Bruce Timm, who was a key producer on Superman: The Animated Series and Batman: The Animated Series, returns to the DC Universe once again with a newly announced direct-to-video (DTV) release scheduled to arrive from Warner Home Video on September 29th. And the voice cast is going to be exciting for fans, as it consists of Superman: TAS stars Tim Daly ("Clark Kent/Superman") and Clancy Brown ("Lex Luthor"), and Batman: TAS star Kevin Conroy ("Bruce Wayne/Batman"). Also among the voice cast are Allison Mack (Smallville), CCH Pounder (ER, The Shield, Justice League's "Amanda Waller"), and John C. McGinley (Scrubs, Justice League's "Ray Palmer/The Atom"). Here's the studio description of this release:

A desperate solution for a troubled country: Lex Luthor for President, with the Justice League in the service of the government. Only Batman and Superman stand against the new regime...and their disloyalty proves to be exactly what Luthor intended! Using their outcast status to instigate a scandal against Superman, Luthor finally tastes a victory in his vendetta against The Man of Steel.

From Executive Producer Bruce Timm, and voiced by the cast from both hit Batman and Superman animated TV series including Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly and Clancy Brown, this DC Universe Original Animated Movie of Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness's popular graphic novel seethes with political intrigue and action-packed battles between heroes all believing they're on the right side of the law.

Video is widecreen, in anamorphic on DVD and in high-definition on Blu-ray Disc. Audio on the DVD is English Dolby 5.1 and Spanish Stereo; the Blu-ray sound formats have not been specified just yet. All versions included English subtitles. This 75-minute DTV feature will come in three variations: a single-disc Superman/Batman: Public Enemies DVD ($19.98 SRP) with just the main feature, a Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - 2 Disc Special Edition DVD ($24.98 SRP) with the bonus material listed below, and a single-disc Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - Blu-ray Disc Special Edition version ($29.99 SRP) with additional BD-only bonus material, also listed below.

Also included on both Special Edition versions will be a Digital Copy of the feature. Following the list of bonus material below you will find package art for each versions of this title. An online trailer/preview and other information can be found at SupermanBatmanDVD.com.

Bonus Material on Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - 2 Disc Special Edition DVD and Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - Blu-ray Disc Special Edition:

* More Than 2 Hours of Extras on Blu-ray and 2-Disc Special Edition:
o Sneak Peek at DC Universe's Upcoming Movie
o Blackest Night: Inside the DC Comics Event
o A Test of Minds: Superman and Batman featurette giving us a fresh and revitalized look at the team-up of Superman and Batman working together despite their often competitive and challenging relationship
o Bruce Timm Presents 2 Bonus Cartoons
* PLUS: Only on Blu-ray (Almost 4 Hours of Extras Total)
o 20-Minute Wait: Reuniting the Superman/Batman Animated Series Casts hosted by Andrea Romano
o An additional 4 Bonus Cartoons handpicked by Bruce Timm

SupermanBatmanPublicEnemies_DVD.jpg

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Romano on voice direction--check.

Daly, Clancy Brown and Conroy--check.

Berkowitz apparently handling the screenplay--check.

Okay, this is sounding way, way better than the other DTVs they'd been making up until now (post JLU ending that is).

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I enjoyed Doomsday and New Frontier and yeah, this sounds even better. I almost made a thread about it the other day but ended up reserving my eagerness over the project to a wall post on a friend's facebook page.

That said, screw WB, screw Sony, screw Blu-Ray, and screw BR exclusive content. Thumbs down.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Echoing the complaints of Blu Ray exclusive content. I never thought I'd be buying the barebones DVD for The Dark Knight, but there you go. I literally saw the news of this after we were discussing the live action equivalent in The Avengers thread. Hopefully this will be even better than the Jeph Loeb dribble it derives from.

CBright7831

2016/17 Poster of the Year
Reaction score
Kevin Conroy should voice Batman in every animated form for the rest of his life. Ditto Clancy Brown for Luthor. I could go with Tim Daly or George Newbern for Superman.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I echo those sentiments CBright. Both Daly and Newbern are great as Supes. I really liked Superman Doomsday as well.. Brainiac Attacks on the other hand.. *shudder*

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
By and large, Marvel's animated features have su-uh-ucked, unfortunately. Or otherwise paled compared to DC. Kind of like most of their animated shows, really.

Although if they didn't wuss out on the violence, I'd love to see an animated Deadpool feature. The Hulk Vs. stuff was a nice teaser for what could be.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Really? I wasn't a big fan of the Avengers ones (Ultimate, I didn't see the kids one), but I thought that Doctor Strange and Iron Man were pretty good. But you're right that they do pale in comparison to the DC stuff, so I gotta agree there.

Their more recent stuff seems to be getting better. The Hulk Vs stuff was great - especially the Wolverine one. Lots of blood and violence in that one.

Did anyone ever see the recent DC Wonder Woman feature? Worth picking up?

Oh, also, the Green Lantern: First Flight feature comes out on July 28th. Chris Meloni as GL and Michael Madsen as Kilowog. The trailer is at the link below..

http://www.warnervideo.com/greenlanterndvd/

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
dubq said:
Really? I wasn't a big fan of the Avengers ones (Ultimate, I didn't see the kids one), but I thought that Doctor Strange and Iron Man were pretty good. But you're right that they do pale in comparison to the DC stuff, so I gotta agree there.

Their more recent stuff seems to be getting better. The Hulk Vs stuff was great - especially the Wolverine one. Lots of blood and violence in that one.

Didn't care for the Avengers ones either, and especially not Strange. Both of them seemed to suffer much the same issues, IMO: dreadfully boring build for most of it, and then lots of action near the end but barely anything creative or memorable action-wise. I could rattle off several memorable action scenes from the the Timmverse without much problem, but not from those features.

Although I haven't seen the Iron Man one--it slipped under my radar since it was released alongside the movie and I can't think of anyone I know who saw it. I didn't know that there was a stand-alone Wolverine one.

CBright7831

Reaction score
You know, I'd like to see Bruce Timm do a Marvel animated movie sometime...but DC would be stupid to allow him to do it.

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For anyone interested, I just posted the comic inspiration for this movie in the Comic Request thread- Superman & Batman: World's Finest Issues 1-6.

Frosty

Slippery
Reaction score
AndrewTS said:
I didn't know that there was a stand-alone Wolverine one.

There wasn't. It was one 1/2 of the "Hulk Vs." DVD that was released. It was one half vs. Wolverine and one half vs. Thor.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I was about to post the same thing. It might as well be a stand alone Wolverine movie though since he's in it more than Hulk actually is, heh. They use the same animation/voices from the Wolverine & The X-Men animated series universe so it's pretty well done. Deadpool is especially awesome in this feature!

CBright7831

Reaction score
dubq said:
Yeah I was about to post the same thing. It might as well be a stand alone Wolverine movie though since he's in it more than Hulk actually is, heh. They use the same animation/voices from the Wolverine & The X-Men animated series universe so it's pretty well done. Deadpool is especially awesome in this feature!
[in slow motion]
NOOOOOOOOO! THAT WAS MY FAVORITE GUN!

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Surprisingly, skimming some reviews, it appears that Next Avengers isn't actually terrible. Go figure. Just by the cover I figured it would be bad (plus bearded Hulk made me think of Old Man Logan).

Positively Kanyon

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
AndrewTS said:
Surprisingly, skimming some reviews, it appears that Next Avengers isn't actually terrible. Go figure. Just by the cover I figured it would be bad (plus bearded Hulk made me think of Old Man Logan).

It's actually my favourite out of the three Ultimate Avengers movies, really well done and quite dark in some places.

D

Dr. Zaius

This isn't a DCAU feature is it? Because they already did the Pres. Luthor storyline in the CADMUS arc, right?

For the record, I thought the Wonder Woman and Iron Man animated features were pretty good.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nothing made since the JLU finale has ties to the DCAU continuity. These latest direct-to-DVD movies are set in their own storyline.

D

Dr. Zaius

So I wonder if the Public Enemies movie will feature most of the same characters as the book...particularly Power Girl, Capt. Atom, but hopefully NOT the shitty version of Supergirl that was around at the time.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Pretty interested in Public Enemies, but just wanted to throw out a reminder, Green Lantern: First Flight will be out in a few days to DVD. Any early reviews? It'll be interesting to see how it does seeing its the first Green Lantern solo film and won't reap the benefits of live action movie boost for a couple years.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hey old chums!
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0907/28/index.htm

Paul Dini has written "Chill of the Night!," the episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold that was touched upon at Comic-Con International last weekend.

Voices in the episode include Adam West as Thomas Wayne, Julie Newmar as Martha Wayne, Kevin Conroy as the Phantom Stranger and Mark Hamill as The Spectre.

Diedrich Bader, who provides the voice of Batman, said that Batman gets "a sense of closure" and that recording the episode actually made him cry.

Look for more Batman: The Brave and the Bold news soon here in The Continuum.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How is Brave & Bold btw? I've never actually seen an episode? Overly "kiddy" or somewhere in between?

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
It's not bad, actually. It's significantly more kiddish than previous incarnations, but the jokes are good, the plots are interesting, and if you're a comics fan you'll really love a lot of the references they make. They had a Bat-Mite episode recently that had a really good WB/Wackyland homage, and a lot of guys who never made it onto the screen (Guy Gardner, Owlman, the New Blue Beetle, etc...) make appearances.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I watched "The New Adventures of Batman" on Teletoon Retro last night. That show makes Superfriends look like Justice League.

pochorenella

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DrVenkman PhD said:
I watched "The New Adventures of Batman" on Teletoon Retro last night. That show makes Superfriends look like Justice League.
Which one was that? The series with Bat-Mite or the earlier ones a la Aquaman/Superman Hour?