Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

DC & Marvel Animated Discussion

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Quality in what sense? While Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths will always be my atf, I've actually found the New 52 universe of films to be pretty good outside of the first one (WAR). I like the continuity with the Bat-family and seeing Damien's evolution toward the Titans. JL Dark is also in that continuity and is pretty good.

Assault on Arkham is from the Arkham game universe, I believe. It's also pretty good, so you should definitely check it out.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I can't remember where I left off but like The Killing Joke - there were points the animation seemed choppy and voice syncing seemed off at times. Probably more noticeable seeing it on the big screen. I haven't watched a ton of the New 52 stuff, don't think I saw the Crisis one referenced but the last few I watched just felt thrown together to me and I wasn't as hyped as I used to be.

Probably time I give them another chance because they are easy to consume, usually a little over an hour.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ahh, gotcha. I hadn't noticed any of that but I may not be paying that close attention to the technicalities of the animation itself. Definitely check out JL Dark, though. Fun story!

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Official trailer for Batman vs. Two Face has dropped. Definitely out of the 60's Batman vault with Adam West, Burt Ward(!), and William Shatner voicing the trio of Batman, Robin, and Two Face respectively. Julie Newmar voices Catwoman and Steven Weber will voice Alfred. Also Maurice LaMarche will voice Egghead.

Release date is October 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VD0kfTeznE

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Batman and Harley Quinn was decent, I guess. Gets a 5/10 maybe. It definitely utilizes the PG-13 rating as far as cussing goes along with blood.

The artwork definitely invokes BTAS and it works great too. Ivy's design in particular benefited from that decision IMO but I've always liked her BTAS style. The plot was incredibly basic and the screenplay did the entire thing very little to work with beyond the team up aspect, which was done better in Harlequinade anyway. The story felt like something that could've worked if it had been properly fleshed out. The set designs and art is a highlight though and just visually you can 'see' this as being almost a B-Plot BTAS type episode.

There was almost no development to Ivy or Woodrue as villains beyond their evil scheme so it was hard to really give a shit about the stakes. We'd already seen the Batman/Harley team-up and the screenplay really didn't try to play around with it, which was a real shame. There were some lines & little moments but way too few and far between, same for Harley's interactions with Ivy when they finally do meet. The action was fine but it felt like the screenplay tried to use the action & set pieces to gloss over or hide the lack of character interaction and heavy dialogue which made the pacing come off as really fast especially by the final scene.

The screenplay had some potty humor that should've just been cut and a horrible "filler scene" where TWO songs were sung that was very reminiscent of Harley's Holiday (with Harley singing Blondie's "Hanging on the Telephone") that just dragged. It also had a poorly done death scene to try and show some humanity to Harley(?) but the person who died had such little screentime, who cared. I actually didn't mind the Harley/Nightwing stuff since it was clearly not meant to be 'serious relationship' and was treated as two in need of sex just boning each other.

All the voice actors were great to very solid. I enjoyed Melissa Rauch & Paget Brewster a lot as Harley/Ivy respectively, which surprised me given how well known their BTAS voices are. Conroy and Lester were fantastic, same for Richardson, so no real surprises there.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Batman and Harley Quinn was decent, I guess. Gets a 5/10 maybe.
This is my least favourite DC animated movie so far. I couldn't get into it, and I felt that Melissa Rauch was "too much" as Harley. They should've just went with Tara Strong, IMO.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I liked that Rauch had the 'Bronx' accent/harder side to Harley's personality but she didn't quite nail the fluffy/airiness of Arleen Sorkin. Same for Margot Robbie although you could see the study of BTAS in there at times (just a little lower pitched).

- Arleen Sorkin has a bit more of a bubbly/girliness to Harley's voice that most others seem to lack. Almost 'Valley Girl' with a NY edge to it.
- Hynden Walch took that aspect and made it higher in the register it felt like, felt forced and not as natural.
- Tara Strong's very solid but lacks that NY-ness that makes Harley distinctive.

I'll take the Robbie/Rauch heavy NY emphasis over the opposite end just because Harley's distinctly that character vocally. It'd be like somebody trying to affect a Mayor Quimby character or a Hank Hill type character and ignoring the importance of the accent to them.

EDIT: Give Robbie a slightly higher pitch and she is the closest I've heard to Sorkin as far as that 'tone' of NY + Valley Girl.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is the character even from NY? That over-emphasis is exactly what killed it for me in this film. I had to resist just shutting it off several times because it's so obnoxious and distracting.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
Is the character even from NY? That over-emphasis is exactly what killed it for me in this film. I had to resist just shutting it off several times because it's so obnoxious and distracting.

Gotham's pretty much equated with New Jersey but Sorkin's voicing always gave her a Brooklyn accent/undertone so that's largely how I associate Harley's character as being either a native NYer or at least living there long enough to take on the accent. Arleen did it in such a manner that her high pitch obscufated the Brooklyn accent a bit rather than making it stand out at a lower pitch (which is what Rauch/Robbie do). If the latter talked at a higher pitch, the obviousness of the accent wouldn't be as noticeable IMO.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Teen Titans: Season 1 is dropping to Blu-Ray on 1/23. Currently $17.99 at Amazon.com, which is a pretty good deal.

Still waiting for a release date for BTAS (Currently just says 'Early 2018') but it's a good sign that it should be coming soon with the TT release is a sign. I'd totally go for a Seasons 2-4 of Teen Titans too, with 5 being a take it/leave it deal for me.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've only been able to watch part of it so far but the new Suicide Squad movie just came out and it's ok. Violent and a fun sense of humor. Better than the live-action already.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was killing time in Best Buy last night waiting for some friends I was meeting up with for dinner and realized there are a few I've been waiting on price drops to see still. Really want to check out that 60s style Batman vs. Two-Face and Gotham by Gaslight still

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
BTAS has a Cover & Price

Blu-Ray Deluxe LE has an apparent official cover and price via Amazon although no official release date. Pre-Ordered it just in case already.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
More details for the BTAS Blu-Ray set!

Release Date: October 16th

9729_tn.jpg

This ultimate collectors Blu-ray box set will be individually numbered for a Limited Edition release of 30,000. More than 2,000 already pre-ordered.
NEW REMASTERS OF ALL EPISODES IN THE SERIES
REMASTERS of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero
NEW Heart of the Batman - featurette (60 min)

Select Audio Commentaries
Three Funko Pops
Deluxe Art Book

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I saw Death of Superman for sale and figured it was just a re-release of the 2007 Death of Superman that was pretty meh. I didn't realize they re-did the whole thing and are working on a trilogy. And just saw the trailer for the next one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHgBdrYRjWA

Also saw Best Buy was doing some of the DC films with the graphic novels for like $10 so I may need to look at those.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Target has the pre-order for the Batman: TAS blu-ray set for $87 today

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Best Buy and Amazon have some of the newer releases like Gotham by Gaslight and Batman: Ninja on sale for $9.99 right now. Tempted but also don't know if I should bother with the DC service on the horizon. Everything is supposed to be there... But tempted to not have to wait...

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the Teen Titans Go arc where they have to save "The Night Begins To Shine" and Cyborg is probably the best tv stuff from either company since Young Justice went off the air. I watched it the other day and was in stiches. The animation is also stellar.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I need to go and watch the Teen Titans Go show with how much I enjoyed the movie

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
DC's Super Hero Girls (long time Youtube web shorts series) is coming to the Cartoon Network on March 8th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzhzULFgrjU

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Very entertained by the DC Super Hero Girls episodes. Can be found online at Cartoon Network with 8 episodes available. Series was created by Lauren Faust and it's a lot of fun with most eps ranging from 11-13 minutes in length. If you've seen any of the web shorts, it's basically an extended version of that.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm so there. Stoked for the original Titans in anything and that looks like it could be a ton of fun.