Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

DC Universe Streaming Service Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
2nd Season of Harley Quinn is already kicking off next week.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:

Premieres on 4/3, which seems awfully fast but I'm not gonna complain.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Harley Quinn said:

Premieres on 4/3, which seems awfully fast but I'm not gonna complain.

Yeah, they had announced that before Season 1 ended and I was surprised but it is very much needed right now. Had not made best use of my DC account until that show.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Harley and Ivy finally kissed! Bane low-key continues to be my favorite character on the show, I'm still not a fan of what they've done to Commissioner Gordon's character just making him a drunk, I'm glad they introduced Barbara as Batgirl, and Kite Man has actually kinda grown on me.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gordon lost basically everything so I think it makes sense and the last episode did a lot with it. Bane is for sure the MVP of the series. I'm enjoying the show a lot.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
Knew that HQ was gonna bump this thread after that episode.

The guy who voices Bane, James Adomian, is an incredible impressionist. Not surprised that Bane is so funny. I'm sure a lot of y'all have seen this but here's him as Bernie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzIuHrfuxgo

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
They finally slept together (twice!). Obvious ship is obvious but I'm all for Harley finding herself in love with Ivy in a probable too little, too late manner with Ivy torn between the safe, sure thing in Kite Man (who obviously adores Ivy in his own way) and her BFF who knows her better than anybody in Harley. Considering most of the Harley/Ivy relationship stuff I've read, it's actually kind of nice to see the other shoe with Ivy being the one in love with somebody else and Harley being the one pining for Ivy as it's usually Harley/Joker with Ivy on the outside.

In a sentence I'd never thought I'd write: I'd feel bad for Kite Man if Ivy did break it off/didn't get married to him considering the effort he's put forth to make this relationship work.

I also liked the King Shark/King Daddy stuff and that parallel to the Ivy/Kite Man marriage. Also a solid A- to the Little Mermaid spoofing with surprisingly solid animation.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I would have thought that a bunch of dudes who came of age post-internet would be completely anesthetized to profanity, but what do I know?

Everybody should feel bad for Kite Man.

Also, King Shark is the real star of this show.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I keep forgetting about this when I click in the thread and have to avert my eyes. I really liked Season One so I need to sit down and watch Season Two.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Latest ep (2x10) was one of the best of the season. Great pacing, really good action where the animation seemed to noticeably be better than usual, and a great teaser at the end. Felt like a classic BTAS/JLU animated style episode, in a good way.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad Harley's openly admitting her love right to Ivy for good or bad. Also felt bad for Kite Man (but not bad enough to want Ivy to marry him) but it's gonna make for a fireworksy season finale!

Also fun seeing King Shark and Clayface being bad guys taking on WW/Bats/Superman.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Really good season finale. Spoilers ahead because duh.

- I'm kind of glad Kite Man is the one who rejected Ivy and Ivy's admittance that Harley's growth is the reason behind Ivy accepting her own feelings. I still felt bad for Kite Man but as he said, he deserves somebody better.
- Loved the call outs to various media including the Thelma & Louise shot towards the end.
- Episode had some good stuff throughout including Gordon punching out the priest and his need to be a hero feeling very in character so him busting all the supervillains felt natural within the story.

Finally, THEY'RE TOGETHER! Considering all the cartoons/TV shows where creators are willing to tease a romance but keep the relationship(s) in the background or barely show LGBTQ content it's really nice to just see the show runners, frankly, have the balls to go through with a Harley/Ivy romance. It's one thing to have it in the comics or be teased in a one-off episode of another cartoon but it's different when it's potentially the front and center relationship in an actual show.

When LGBTQ people talk about actual representation, this is what they mean. Not a standard character who gets 5% of screen time, if that, at best (looking at you, Disney) or a character we're told is LGBTQ but doesn't do anything or even a relationship where the kissing is edited down/no sex scenes are shown yet the 2-3 heterosexual relationships are constantly kissing and shown in bed together.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
When LGBTQ people talk about actual representation, this is what they mean. Not a standard character who gets 5% of screen time, if that, at best (looking at you, Disney) or a character we're told is LGBTQ but doesn't do anything or even a relationship where the kissing is edited down/no sex scenes are shown yet the 2-3 heterosexual relationships are constantly kissing and shown in bed together.
What'd you think about She-Ra?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
What'd you think about She-Ra?

Good for what it did, sort of? In the context if the show, it fit perfectly but there was a little bit of The Legend of Korra vibe to it too (and that show is also deemed a 'landmark' in LGBTQ representation).

It's worth noting that Stevenson remarked that she still had to fight for that representation to be canon: https://screenrant.com/she-ra-season-5-adora-catra-lesbian-confirmed/

"Stevenson admits that Adora and Catra's big moment almost didn't make it into the finale, even though she always saw it as integral to the story:

"I had been wanting to do that since season one, and wasn't sure how much of that I was going to be able to have in the show," she said.

"It was sort of a push and pull for pretty much the entire length of the show about what we would be able to show, and what we would have to keep between the lines."

That's a lot of the general struggle and my general annoyance with such relationships. I'll be the first to admit to shipping certain relationships that realistically wouldn't be pulled off but the above is a perfect example of how hard it is just to get any LGBTQ representation. Having characters in the background in a normal relationship is fine and one thing (e.g. Clyde's 2 dads in The Loud House cartoon) but romantic relationships, especially on leads is very far and between.

As it pertains to the HQ show, I would've been fine enough if Ivy/Kite Man did get married but it still would have irked me if the show went 3 more seasons and it was just Harley hooking up with random guys while staying BFF's with Ivy and the whole Bridesmaid ordeal being the only real showcase of any romantic relationship between the two of them. Like, "Hey. Here's your ship tease for all you Harley/Ivy fans... Now we can get into the straight relationships we really wanted to get to."

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Good for what it did, sort of? In the context if the show, it fit perfectly but there was a little bit of The Legend of Korra vibe to it too (and that show is also deemed a 'landmark' in LGBTQ representation)...

Eh, hard disagree on that, unless you're of the opinion that representation doesn't count, unless it's the main character. Damn near everybody on that show was LGBTQ and, unlike Legend of Korra (which I love: it remains, to this day, the best western animated series, ever, IMO), they didn't wait until the last season to hint at relationships, let alone wait until the finale to pull the trigger.

With respect to Harley Quinn... is the way they did it really any less of a "ship tease," if they don't get a third season?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Eh, hard disagree on that, unless you're of the opinion that representation doesn't count, unless it's the main character. Damn near everybody on that show was LGBTQ and, unlike Legend of Korra (which I love: it remains, to this day, the best western animated series, ever, IMO), they didn't wait until the last season to hint at relationships, let alone wait until the finale to pull the trigger.

With respect to Harley Quinn... is the way they did it really any less of a "ship tease," if they don't get a third season?

My argument is more the using the final episode for the big damn kiss. The relationships and other characters were definitely representation but it feels like cheating if the goal of the main relationship of a 5 season series was to be romantic, mostly in subtext albeit there, only to literally have the kiss in the final episode. Granted, that was clearly predicated on behind the scenes stuff but it's still there that it couldn't actually be text until the series finale.

With the Harley Quinn series, it falls into the LOK/She-Ra realm for me if it doesn't get a 3rd Season (I really hope it does mostly to subvert this exact scenario). Also it could have easily been a "ship tease" if they had Ivy marry Kite Man. Instead, they actually went half-text with Harley admitting her love to Ivy thus guaranteeing at least a one sided love before making it text in the finale with Ivy declaring her love towards Harley.

The reason LOK and She-Ra got such publicity was precisely because it was the main character being involved in same-sex relationships by the end of the series. LGBTQ representation has been improving but too often it's been... background characters or depending on the show, the token gay friend or lesbian friend unless it was a series like The L Word or Orange is the New Black (or even She-Ra) which incorporated many such queer characters. Willow on Buffy coming out was so big because she was one of the core lead characters and even then, Joss had to fight to incorporate a kiss scene in S5 (2001) then it wasn't until S7 (2003) that Willow was shown in bed with another character sexually.

For a lot of LGBTQ people, there simply aren't main characters to champion behind unless it's specifically a queer ensemble show or a queer designed movie. That's why a television show like Batwoman is so important or even a teen show like South of Nowhere was (and IMO still is) so revolutionary because its leads can have same-sex relationships that aren't background or side romances barely featured.

Finally, a lot of 'queer' relationships get denied into subtext territory behind the veil of "best friends" to where the physical actions/phrases would be 100% romantic if they were opposite sexes. That just gets tiring and annoying when you see two characters be physically affectionate with one another and have blatant romantic subtext be like, "I love you, ___. You're my best friend," or "I'd do anything for you. You know that. You're my best friend and I love you," as the qualifier to make sure to their straight audience that it's totally platonic.

Last edited:

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
first two episodes of s2 doom patrol are up and were good although not as good as S1. Hopefully they introduce a strong villain soon. Gonna be hard to match Mr Nobody.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Titans is apparently moving to HBO Max to the surprise of nobody. Odds are this'll lead to stuff like Young Justice and Harley Quinn also following suit. Not unexpected at all but also kind of disappointed as I don't fancy having to pay at least $14.99 a month for a service I may have issues getting on other formats just for 2 shows I was already getting for $7.99 + Comic back issues, etc.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Superman and Black Adam have thrown down in the comics hundreds of times TBF. They might not be each others top nemesis but they get paired off pretty often since "magic" is one of Superman's only non-kryptonite weaknesses.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
So DC Universe is finally doing the obvious:
DC today announced the evolution of DC UNIVERSE into DC UNIVERSE INFINITE, a premium digital comic book service set to launch on January 21, 2021. With access to more than 24,000 comic books at launch, DC UNIVERSE INFINITE subscribers will also encounter digital-first comics, exclusive access to DC fan events, as well as a steady stream of recently released comics six months after the physical versions hit store shelves.

For DC UNIVERSE subscribers who want ongoing access to premium DC originals, the special DC UNIVERSE monthly member offer to HBO MAX has been extended. In celebration of Batman Day and the announcement of DC UNIVERSE INFINITE, the special offer for eligible monthly subscribers to upgrade their service to include HBO Max for an additional $4.99 per month for a limited time is now available through October 30, 2020.

HBO Max will be the home for premium video content that will include new DC series, key DC classics, and DC UNIVERSE originals like Young Justice Seasons 1-4, Titans Seasons 1-3, Doom Patrol Seasons 1-3, and DC’s Stargirl Season 1. Additionally, HBO Max has ordered a third season of Warner Bros. Animation’s critically acclaimed DC UNIVERSE adult animated comedy series Harley Quinn.

DC UNIVERSE INFINITE
will be available online at DCUniverseInfinite.com, iOS and Android devices for $7.99 a month or $74.99 a year ($6.25 a month). October seems like the kickoff month that subscribers will be asked if they want to extend their subscription into DCUI.

Having DC Universe+HBO Max for $13.00 a month isn't that bad a deal. Still disappointed that I have to go to fucking HBO Max for the DC Universe shows though.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know Tony Stark is a freak. Disney let the MODOK writers get pretty nasty.

Very funny how the publicity for this is much worse than if they'd just done the joke which no one would probably have even commented on. The HQ people themselves said that DC had otherwise been super great with them so it's a little sad.