Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

DC Universe Streaming Service Thread

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I feel we've talked about some of these things in other threads but we are getting closer to the DC Comics/DC Universe streaming service with more details coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtR2W1PB3iM

A lot of the classic shows and movies plus new original content. There's been talk of a new Swamp Thing series and a Harley Quinn animated show. There's been talk of a mature rated Doom Patrol show and this fall they are launching the live action Titans series. More detailed pictures of Robin leaked which look pretty good.

TITANS-ROBIN.jpg

The official website launched and for those interested, you can sign up for BETA testing.

https://www.dcuniverse.com/coming-soon/

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm intrigued and have already entered my e-mail for the Beta thing. The HQ show alone (with Ivy included in the cast) would've sold me but there's also the Young Justice: Outsiders animated show that I'm pretty hyped on.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
This launches on Friday.

$7.99 a month or get the year for $74.99. They are doing a pre-order promo before 9/12 that if you pre-order, you get three months free. 15 months for $75, I figure I waste $5 a month on coffee so I signed up.

Titans is scheduled to premiere next month on 10/12. There has been more casting information for Doom Patrol, which has been indicated to be spun-off from Titans and there has been more hype on the Swamp Thing series coming in 2019 pushing the line of what in theaters would earn a "hard R-rating" being heavily influenced by the Alan Moore run.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
A great look at the quality upgrade of HD for BTAS

https://youtu.be/9LZJ-HJsWHk

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Got the e-mail that this is live. Don't see it showing up on my AppleTV yet but about to browse via web browser.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
So a quick browse, there isn't a ton of stuff available yet. Which I think seeing this was supposed to launch tomorrow - maybe that's why. I am excited that Gotham by Gaslight is already there and the 2018 Death of Superman is too, which I heard good things. But the movie section right now is only 20 - the four Christopher Reeve Superman and a handful of their straight to video animated fare - but some significant ones missing.

The other one that tripped me up was they had The Spirit in their Specials section and labeled it 2008 and PG-13 like it was that bad movie - but it is actually something from the 80s starring Sam Jones that appears to have been made for TV.

Time to check out the comic section.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Discovered the "Comic Book Reader" works better (though still a little slow/glitchy) in Chrome compared to Firefox as a heads up. Read the BTAS #12 Issue with Harley/Ivy teaming up against Batgirl, good stuff. I've always had a soft spot for the BTAS run of comic issues so I'm glad to see them in here.

Also noticed this: "Can't find the books you're looking for?

The full DC Comics digital library will be available for purchase in October."

And I squee'd at seeing the Gotham Girls issues complete with all 5 issues :D

You can also create your own lists for Favorite Comics, etc. and share them :)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched Harley & Ivy from BTAS. Immediately noticed how much sharper the image was as well as the brightness of colors, notably Harley's red in her costume.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Interesting casting announcement made for the Swamp Thing show.

Ian Ziering was cast as Daniel Cassidy aka Blue Devil

Teaser artwork was revealed as well, prompting other questions

Blue-Devil-Movie-Poster.jpg

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Do i write about doom patrol in here or start a thread? If it gets any replies I'll split it off.

Watched the first 9 episodes of Doom Patrol and it's fantastic. The women who play Jane and Rita are especially great but most of the cast really nails their roles. I also love how they tackle certain subjects (like the Dany Street episode) without it feeling exploitative or fake.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I heard really good stuff on Doom Patrol, including that from people who did not like Titans. Need to sit down and watch both, though I still have highest hopes for Swamp Thing. Once I catch up, will have to join you in chatting.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Stuff still seems to be hit or miss on the streaming service as far as shows (Titans is great though and has its own thread for a reason). If you're into the DC Comics, there's really no reason not to have this IMO.

Now for the important thing, a new trailer for the Harley Quinn show! Premiering November 29th. Not a big fan of the cussing (seems like it's peppered in there more to be edgy than actually fit) but the art work has grown on me and I really like the inclusion of the classic costume. The voices all sound pretty solid for the characters with the VA for Bane taking on the Nolan-verse style.

https://www.dcuniverse.com/clip/d6d79a6d-36a8-4f7d-b5a3-91c7c11b488f/

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
DC Universe is knocking down the annual price for anybody who signed up with them at the launch.

The first year of your ANNUAL DC UNIVERSE SUBSCRIPTION including the bonus three months for members who pre-ordered is scheduled to renew automatically for a 12 month term on --------. As a special thank you for being with us from the beginning, we’ve lowered our renewal price -- only for launch members -- from $74.99 to just $59.99. This way, you can continue to enjoy DC Universe for just $5 a month.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Got through the 1st episode of Harley. Lots of funny black humor, the voices sounded good, and there was a very Jane/Daria vibe between Ivy and Harley that I liked. Joker's look took a bit to grow on me and some of the dialogue was a bit... rough but overall I think I'm gonna really enjoy this.

The cussing and gore is what it is. Not a big fan of it and the purer humor was lacking but there's some potential in there. Kaley was surprisingly solid as Harley, though I did miss the accent. The VAs for Batman, Ivy, and Joker were really strong though.

The line delivery/art when Harley said, "They're chocolate chips," was just great. Also massive YAY to using her classic costume and keeping her cap with tassels on at Arkham & with Joker. Also props for making the costume change/physical appearance change into a plot point of Harley's leaving behind her jester costume as her association with Joker itself.

Oc1udiQ.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
2nd ep dropped of Harley. Loved the character of Bane and the VA for Ivy is probably my favorite thing about the series as I just picture Jane from Daria the whole time. Harley's character is growing on me and they did cut down on the overt cussing a bit, making it feel more natural at times in this episode.

The Harley/Ivy stuff is a highlight and it's clearly the early strength of the episodes. The Joker stuff is fine although the heavy angular chin is looking worse and reminds me of the 'off' animation from a few BTAS episodes. His VA is still pretty solid though and keeps him credible enough.

With that said, the episodes lack a real plot making it feel like they're scenes padded out to a 21-22 minute run time. It works in something like DC Superhero Girls because those are 11-13 minutes, tightly written, and paced very well. Here it just feels like the writing is still groping for something to land a foothold onto.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Having zipped through the 6th episode... the series is what it is? I think the voice acting is really good for the characters themselves but the writing is just letting it all down so badly. I actually am getting really fond of the artwork in particular and dig Harley's animated look (which is funny since I really hate her recent comic portrayals).

The episodes are simply getting too bogged down in 'refuge in audacity' taking over characterization, plot arc development, and relationship depth. Rather than trying to write out legitimate scenes, the writers seem to prefer to cram in as much cussing as they can get away with because it's edgier but it doesn't work if every single character seems to talk the same way. Also not helped is that these writers feel like they come up with a concept and then just connect scenes together rather than working their way backwards.

I'm mainly just watching it for the artwork, the Harley/Ivy relationship, and the VAs. It's not a good sign when DC Superhero Girls can run laps around this show utilizing 11-12 minute shorts.

The biggest thing irking me is they have a foundation where they could go a lot of interesting routes: Harley abandoning Joker but living with Ivy and that relationship, Harley forming her own group to try to get into the Legion of Doom (which gets way too much focus) and their interplay, Harley's growth from sidekick/dependence on another to being the leader, and hell even the subplot about Gordon's relationship falling apart due to his work as a cop on the force and his relationship with Batman. Instead it all feels subservient to: We have a "Mature" cartoon and can curse with a popular character!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I tried watching the HQ show but had to roll my eyes and tap out midway through the first episode. Like, we get it, you can say "fuck".

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the constant swearing is tiring but aside from that I really like it. I zipped through all 6 episodes that are up so far last night. The episode where she's trying to get her own nemesis and it all ends up on a talk show with every character in the show universe involved in some way I thought was very funny.

The Harley/Ivy stuff is the best parts generally but I think there are a number of clever jokes. I don't notice the swearing so much in later episodes so either I got used to it or they toned it down a little.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I’ve been enjoying HQ. Feelings mirror a lot of what was said here: swearing is jarring early but think they ease off as they go in. Think there’s about four more episodes this season.

Barely used this service since it launched but I’ve been watching Harley and catching up on Titans as I’ve been laid up following a recent surgery. Think we had a separate Titans thread so I guess I should go post thoughts there.

Figured I would burn through Titans first since I had watched the first two a while ago and know Doom Patrol had a semi-back door pilot. Have friends that really liked Swap Thing and Doom Patrol, so not sure which one to do next, though I have shows on other services to catch up on too.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Today’s episode was the Season One finale for Harley Quinn but just read online that Season Two already starts on April 3rd.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
I’ve been enjoying HQ. Feelings mirror a lot of what was said here: swearing is jarring early but think they ease off as they go in. Think there’s about four more episodes this season.

Barely used this service since it launched but I’ve been watching Harley and catching up on Titans as I’ve been laid up following a recent surgery. Think we had a separate Titans thread so I guess I should go post thoughts there.

Figured I would burn through Titans first since I had watched the first two a while ago and know Doom Patrol had a semi-back door pilot. Have friends that really liked Swap Thing and Doom Patrol, so not sure which one to do next, though I have shows on other services to catch up on too.

I watched about half of Doom Patrol and it's pretty good. I need to finish it but life and so many other things to watch got in the way.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
That’s been my problem. I got a friend that keeps bugging me to start Mandolorian, which I figure I should squeeze in before starting another DC series. Think I got the final two Quinn and I think I’m at the last Titans right now. I’ve caught up on a lot of stuff since the start of the year and still feel too much to watch...

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
That’s been my problem. I got a friend that keeps bugging me to start Mandolorian, which I figure I should squeeze in before starting another DC series. Think I got the final two Quinn and I think I’m at the last Titans right now. I’ve caught up on a lot of stuff since the start of the year and still feel too much to watch...

Mando has that sweet 35ish minute runtime. That’s a nice one to work in.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up Season 1 of Harley Quinn and enjoyed it a lot more over the final few episodes. The show's grown on me with some great VA: Bane's become a particular favorite as a character, and even the 'crew' as characters and their relationship with Harley has improved over the course of the season. The VA (especially Batman), Designs, and Relationships are all the high points of the show. I still love the dynamic of Harley/Ivy's friendship in this series and it feels natural.

Some of the episodes were mostly forgettable with the writing being very hit or miss for me at times in terms of plot/character development/jokes. When it's on, it's really very good but that's a very fine line for this type of show and I feel like it still is trying to... "grow the beard" so to speak. The biggest issue IMO is just the pacing. The episodes tend to try to do too much plot and too much joke stuff that when it does try for the serious plots, it's a struggle to buy in & pace them out enough to feel earned.

Final Thought: Sy + Car = Nightmare Fuel

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Hearing mostly positive things about Superman: Red Son that was released last week, including some positivity about the tweaks needed to adapt for the screen and current events. WB held a premiere in LA but has now cancelled the New York premiere due to coronavirus.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Stargirl premieres on DCU on May 11th. Each week the episode will air the next dya on the CW.