Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dead Frontier a free online MMO game....

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Anyone play this?

http://www.deadfrontier.com/

Dead Frontier is the ultimate survival horror MMORPG. Log in and play with thousands of real players from around the globe as you struggle for survival in a zombie infested city.

Battle for survival against an army of infected zombies
Explore a huge post-apocalyptic MMO game
Barricade buildings and create your own hideouts
Wield over 100 real world weapons from melee to miniguns
Pit your skills against other survivors in PvP game

I just heard about it yesterday on a horror podcast I listen to, and I am gonna sign up and give it a shot tonight.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
I've seen it a few times, but I've never actually bothered to sign up or play because I can't find any documentation anywhere. No FAQ, no "how to play" guides, nothing. That irks me; I like to be able to review the MMO before I sign up for it & start playing. It comes across as if they're telling me "You wouldn't play this if you knew what was coming, that's why we make you sign up before we tell you anything".

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
OK, I gave it a try, and I'm not really impressed.

Walking is terribly slow. It follows the "If you want to show it's scary, make it impossible to see!" line of logic that I hatehatehatehatehate. You can go through unharmed once you discover the proper rate of walking backwards while stabbing (seriously, all you have to do is go the opposite direction and time your walk/stop alternations so that the zombie walks into your stab and you back up just in time so they either don't go into their attack animation, or you're out of range by the time they complete it).

Unless you use a gun, of course. Something about "agro", I think it refers to how many zombies spawn and how aggressively they go after you, I didn't bother to dig up the formulas.

On my way back to home base after reaching 100% exp to level 3, there were a couple of guys shooting and about 20 zombies wandering around the landscape. This demonstrated to me a flaw in the spawning logic: gunplay by 2 creates shitloads of zombies, but knifeplay by 6 creates next to nothing. If you're shooting at them, they spawn like wildfire and there's plenty to go around. If you aren't shooting, though, hardly any spawn, and with six-to-a-server you kinda need more than 2 zeds per screen to give everybody a fair chance to moonwalk.

I got fed up with the lackluster battle system, the inability to see and the monotonous pacing of it all. If I go back to a zombie MMO-type game, I think I'll go back to Urban Dead or Dead Awaken.

An interesting concept, but poorly executed.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
oldskool said:
OK, I gave it a try, and I'm not really impressed.

Walking is terribly slow. It follows the "If you want to show it's scary, make it impossible to see!" line of logic that I hatehatehatehatehate. You can go through unharmed once you discover the proper rate of walking backwards while stabbing (seriously, all you have to do is go the opposite direction and time your walk/stop alternations so that the zombie walks into your stab and you back up just in time so they either don't go into their attack animation, or you're out of range by the time they complete it).

Unless you use a gun, of course. Something about "agro", I think it refers to how many zombies spawn and how aggressively they go after you, I didn't bother to dig up the formulas.

On my way back to home base after reaching 100% exp to level 3, there were a couple of guys shooting and about 20 zombies wandering around the landscape. This demonstrated to me a flaw in the spawning logic: gunplay by 2 creates shitloads of zombies, but knifeplay by 6 creates next to nothing. If you're shooting at them, they spawn like wildfire and there's plenty to go around. If you aren't shooting, though, hardly any spawn, and with six-to-a-server you kinda need more than 2 zeds per screen to give everybody a fair chance to moonwalk.

I got fed up with the lackluster battle system, the inability to see and the monotonous pacing of it all. If I go back to a zombie MMO-type game, I think I'll go back to Urban Dead or Dead Awaken.

An interesting concept, but poorly executed.

Well thanks for saving me the trouble, how would you describe/rate those other two you mentioned?

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
Urban Dead is turn-based, and I think I "finished" it insofar as I leveled up everything there was to level up and at that point there wasn't much left beyond the game-within-a-game created solely by the community. You can start as either a human or a zombie; when you die as a human you become a zombie, and zombies can be revived back into humans. Lots of different play styles. A handful of pseudo-griefer people only want to be human/zombie and so they play the way that alignment plays regardless of what alignment they happen to be at the time (i.e. someone who wants to play as a zombie that gets revived will spend their human time attacking other humans, breaking down barricades, etc.).

UD's wiki is really good, though. Constantly being updated by the playerbase, every game change is nicely documented (was when I played, at least) and they keep up-to-date the listings of the malls so you know where to go & where not to go depending on the situation.

Dead Awaken...eh. Another browser-based text MMO where you're supposed to innately know the "best" way to play (read: the only way if you don't like being cannon fodder) is to spend about a year without leveling up beyond the PvP protected levels and training in the gym until you have about a billion in every skill.

Things may have changed there, my character got deleted for inactivity and I didn't re-signup to DA.

At least they both have some kind of preview:
http://www.urbandead.com/
http://www.deadawaken.com/