Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Deadspin's Dead

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I figured this would be the best place for this, but Deadspin died. https://twitter.com/megreenwell/status/1190281768009641985 https://deadspin.com/was-deadspin-a-good-sports-blog-a-very-short-debate-1839529586

Sucks that fucking fund group drove it to the ground (and likely the rest of it as well). I mean, I know it Gawker (as a whole) was the greatest, but still. As you can guess, I frequented the place quite a bit. Shame that it is no more, at least for me.

Anyways, talk about it here. Or just go "good riddance" if you want to.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I'm way out of the loop on current sports sites but occasionally I was linked to a good piece there and a lot of good writers were employed there. I hope they land on their feet soon.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
The Deadspin everyone revered wasn't the one that died this week. That one died when Will Leitch passed the reigns to Daulerio and it was downhill from there. Even Magary was losing his fastball with his Why Your Team Sucks feature. There were a few good pieces here and there, but they fell into the clickbait trap just as often as any other site nowadays.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
It's tough to do Why Your Team Sucks every year because only so much happens in a year. I wish they would have opened it up more and did NHL, NBA, MLB.

I'll miss Drew, who writes on another site, but nothing else.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
New-New-New England Order said:
The Deadspin everyone revered wasn't the one that died this week. That one died when Will Leitch passed the reigns to Daulerio and it was downhill from there. Even Magary was losing his fastball with his Why Your Team Sucks feature. There were a few good pieces here and there, but they fell into the clickbait trap just as often as any other site nowadays.
That's very true, but still I feel bad just because of how it died. Dying to some hedgefund trying to milk out all the money it can just feels the wrongest way to die (for any company really).

Here's hoping that all 24 writers find new homes.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
It's been dead for a long time

I feel like there was a "Deadspin's Dead" post on TSM at some point close to a decade ago

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ne8y3b/go-media-editorial-director-who-told-deadspin-to-stick-to-sports-resigns?utm_source=vicenewstwitter
jimhalpertface.gif

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this guy got to make his money when he's dumb as fuck. I don't get how resignations are the same thing as striking.