Developer: Bungie
Publisher: Activision
Platform: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Release date: 2014
Genre: Action role-playing, first-person shooter
Modes: Single-player, multi-player
www: http://www.destinythegame.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/destinygame
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_(video_game)

GAMEPLAY
Bungie has emphasized that the universe of Destiny will be "alive". Events may happen in-game that are not necessarily controlled or planned by the developer, which will help to create a dynamic developing experience for Bungie and a dynamic playing experience for gamers. The game's style has been described as an always-online first-person shooter that will incorporate massively multiplayer online game (MMO) elements, but Bungie has avoided defining Destiny as being in-kind with traditional MMO games. Instead, the game has been referred to as a "shared-world shooter," as it lacks many of the characteristics of a traditional MMO game. For instance, rather than players being able to see and interact with all other players in the game or on a particular server—as is the case in many conventional MMO games—Destiny will include on-the-fly matchmaking that will allow players to see and interact only with other players with whom they are "matched" by the game.

Destiny will incorporate a new game engine that allows global illuminations and real-time dynamic lighting to occur together. An innovation in Bungie's "hopper" technology, which has been the backbone for Halo's matchmaking system, will allow better player matchmaking in order to create a more natural experience in either cooperative or competitive multiplayer modes.

PREMISE
Destiny is set seven hundred years into the future in a post-apocalyptic setting following a prosperous period of exploration, peace and technological advancement known as the Golden Age. In a universe where humans have spread out and colonized planets in the Solar System, an event known as "the Collapse" saw the mysterious dissolution of these colonies, the end of the Golden Age, and mankind teetering on the brink of extinction. The only known survivors of the Collapse are those living on Earth, who were saved by "the Traveler", a white, spherical celestial body whose appearance centuries before had enabled humans to reach the stars. The Traveler now hovers above the last remaining human city, and its presence allows the "Guardians of the City"—the last defenders of the human race—the ability to wield an unknown power.

Upon mankind's first attempt to repopulate and reconstruct after the Collapse, it is discovered that hostile alien races have occupied mankind's former colonies and civilizations and are now encroaching upon the City. The player takes on the role of a Guardian of the City, and is tasked with investigating and destroying these threats before humanity is completely wiped out by them.

CHARACTERS
Destiny will center around the journey of the Guardians, the last defenders of humanity, set to protect Earth's last city. Guardians will be divided into three distinct races: Humans, Awoken, and Exo. Humans are described as being relatable, tough, and uncomplicated. Bungie drew its inspiration for the Human race from military, professional athletes, and action heroes. Awoken, described as exotic, beautiful, and mysterious, were inspired by fictional depictions of elves, vampires, ghosts, and angels. Exo are described as being sinister, powerful, and tireless. Exo were inspired by the undead, Halo's Master Chief, and the titular character of The Terminator.

Players will also be able to choose a "class" to go alongside their race. There are three classes available to players in Destiny: Hunters, Warlocks, and Titans. Hunters are a reconnaissance-based class meant to be reminiscent of the classic "bounty hunter." Bungie cites as influences Star Wars's Han Solo and classic characters from old Western films such as Clint Eastwood's Man with No Name. Warlocks combine weapons with special powers from "the Traveler", and are meant to be a form of "space wizard". The Warlock class is influenced by the Star Wars series' Jedi Knights, The Lord of the Rings series' Gandalf, and The Matrix series' Morpheus. Titans, which favor heavy weapons and melee attacks and are intended to be reminiscent of the classic "future soldier", were inspired by Bungie's own Halo Master Chief, Stormtroopers from Star Wars, and other "space marines" from science fiction.

Playable characters will be a combination of a Guardian race and class.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: DESTINY

VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS1BM9XRgvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwOUi4JDC4o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Jx5__c1lY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mptsLM0Tw3Q

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-JlSAid_dA

Just got my alpha access! Woohoo!

Exslade ZX

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Sweet, thanks for the update. Got mine too!

edit- So...guess I'll be the first to officially say it. Feels like Halo. Lol.

Just a quick first impression of course. It feels like a weird Mass Effect/Halo blend so far. With MMO elements. In regards to the loot, and the 'Tower' which is where you buy all of your upgrades and armor and the like. Essentially the auction area.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I just realized that your AI companion, Ghost, is voiced by Peter Dinklage. That's pretty fucking awesome that you get to have Tyrion Lannister travelling around with you and pointing you to new missions.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score

I read on Kotaku that he kinda phoned it in.

I signed up for all the betas, guess I missed out on signing up for alphas. Is that PS4 only?

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Mik said:
I read on Kotaku that he kinda phoned it in.
Enh, not really, considering the character is an artificial intelligence.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I got a code too. Which is a nice surprise since I didn't sign up for one or know this was happening.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I assume that this will be a closed Beta, IE need a code to join and not readily available in the PSN store. I wouldn't mind checking it out, but too lazy to put in any effort.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score

you had to pre-order to get the beta. I pre-ordered from Amazon, got the code to enter, then promptly cancelled my pre-order since I didn't know if I wanted to actually buy the game.

I played a bit last night, it's fun. It didn't blow me away, but I don't think I'm the intended target audience(FPS/MMO fans).

I do have a couple extra beta codes for PS4 if anyone wants them. They gave me 3 for some reason.

D84G-MFNJ-T4AK
DE73-3MNR-T82C

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Yeah they gave everyone 3 so that they could have their friends sign up to play with them.

Beta only goes to the end of the 26th (next Saturday), btw.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Managed to get a Beta key for the PS3 as one of my friends runs a gaming site (novagamer.net) and hooked me up.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I'm pissed that I'm staying in a hotel since my house closing keeps getting pushed back. Shitty Wi-fi, and the damn TV doesn't even have and HDMI plug for my PS4, so I can't even play the beta. This sucks complete ass.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Woo! Just got a beta code from the Playstation twitter!

......aaaaand it's 14 gigs. On PSN. Maybe I'll be able to play it sometime next week?

Edit: er...guess PSN lied when it said it was 14 gigs. cause it's done already

Edit 2: NOPE. WASN'T LYING. Just waits for you to launch the game *then* tries to download all that shit

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score

I haven't had much time to play but I feel like it really feels next Gen. With the Dragon Age delay, I will be playing a lot of this in September/October.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Holy fuck, Dragon Age was delayed as well? Jesus Christ..

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I only got a short time in so far...but I played enough to know I'll be picking it up for sure. I did the first two missions and then they had a cut scene that starts laying out your story...and I thought...if you just make people stop playing right here I bet everyone buys it lol. I have to fight back that darkness.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score

d u b q said:
Holy fuck, Dragon Age was delayed as well? Jesus Christ..

Just until mid November, so not a big delay.

As for Destiny, just got involved in some public events taking down big bosses. Happened randomly and was pretty fun.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score

Made it to the Level 6 Strike Mission where you take out the Raid Boss Sepiks Prime. Unreal amount of fun grinding away the two insanely hard bosses in the level. You start off as a 3 person team. One of our members left us as soon as we got to the first very difficult boss and the two of us wound up grinding down the bosses. Took about 60 minutes to get through both of them.

I couldn't possibly be more sold on this game. A+

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Mik said:
Made it to the Level 6 Strike Mission where you take out the Raid Boss Sepiks Prime. Unreal amount of fun grinding away the two insanely hard bosses in the level. You start off as a 3 person team. One of our members left us as soon as we got to the first very difficult boss and the two of us wound up grinding down the bosses. Took about 60 minutes to get through both of them.

That doesn't get dull? I found the boss fights in Borderlands, for example, to be pretty boring. It seems weird to have engagements last that long in an FPS.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I imagine it wouldn't take that long if you had the full party.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score

I think the reason the first raid boss took so long is we started with 3 guys and he left, so I think we got the boss spec'd for 3 and only had 2. That one honestly took about 20-25 minutes. The main end boss probably took about 15.

I think what made it fun is that the first boss was pretty much a one hit kill, and since there was only two of us there were a lot of madcap sprints to revive the other guy without dying and erasing all the work.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score

I've barely played at all, I only had time to get to that first *not even a boss, I don't think* that burrows out of the wall.

I do like the gameplay, how smooth everything is.....it's fun. I swore off FPS games but I think that is mainly because all I was every buying were COD games and I just can't do those anymore.

DESTINY feels entirely like another kind of game even though it is a FPS. Around the time this comes out I will have already bought Madden & Alien Isolation so I might not being buying it on Day 1, but I think I will be finding a way to get it in the collection sometime soon after.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Mik said:

I did that mission on Friday, and about halfway through the Sepiks Prime fight, my party all got dropped from the PSN servers. live beta folks!

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Didn't get to play a minute of the beta because of crappy/nonexistent hotel.WiFi. Glad I didn't spoil anything, I get to go in to the game with sense of wonder intact.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score

You have a better option than myself. I got to get hooked to the beta, knowing that when the game comes out I'll likely be back on the road where shitty hotel wifi will keep me from being able to play it.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

THREE WEEKS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIr4DRtnG_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkv74QxryUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20opyh1pLYg