Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dexter

Bay Harbor Butcher

Active Poster
Reaction score
I gave in and watched the episode online. The Showtime premiere is still a month away, and I didn't want to take the chance of having someone accidentally spoil it for me.

Great opener. BlackFlagg is totally right. Watching the opener makes waiting for episode 2 that much worse.

Fartsauce

Fartsauce
Reaction score
I bit and watched it. If I could handle waiting several months for the season, I could wait a couple months for the next episode. With that being said, the first episode is unbelievably awesome.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I got Season 3 in the mail and am about halfway through it. I must say I read reviews on it and it seems a fair amount of Dexter fans kind of thought Season 3 was the weakest season thus far, but I really disagree(at least at this point into the season) the tension between Miguel Prado and Dexter is some of the best TV I have seen in quite some time.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Rewatching it again, I found I liked it more but still don't like Jimmy Smits as an actor.

Bay Harbor Butcher

Active Poster
Reaction score
I liked season three, but I liked the first two seasons a bit more, mostly because of the Doakes-Dexter stuff. A "weak" season of Dexter is still better than the best season of a lot of other shows.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I thought Smits was great on Season 3.

This episode was great... sleepy Dexter was outstanding.

Lithow looks like he will be great as a super creepy serial killer.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope he keeps his pants on for the rest of the season.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pretty sure last Sunday night I had a nightmare and Lithgow's character was involved....thats means fun season.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Personal Text goes here, Venkman
Reaction score
Just re-read the first Dexter book and I think that Season 1 of the show tells the story a lot better then the book manages too. The books too fast and spills too much open to too many characters straight away, the slow burn of the TV show is a lot more to my liking.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Obi Chris Kenobi said:
Just re-read the first Dexter book and I think that Season 1 of the show tells the story a lot better then the book manages too. The books too fast and spills too much open to too many characters straight away, the slow burn of the TV show is a lot more to my liking.

Agreed, the books as a whole seem inferior to the show. But the books are good, for those wondering about reading them.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Personal Text goes here, Venkman
Reaction score
The Buzz said:
Obi Chris Kenobi said:

Agreed, the books as a whole seem inferior to the show. But the books are good, for those wondering about reading them.

Oh aye, well worth the read and should be available pretty cheap at the moment. Though they do go a bit 'off the rails' compared to the TV show, so be prepared for that. Still worth the read, if only to see how they changed things for the show.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is John Lithgow going to kill the Yada Yada girl from Seinfeld?

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I think I like where this season is going...

You can tell Lundy knows something is going on with Dexter. Either that or they are framing it that way.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it is more of a framing right now, just based on the concussed and paranoid Dex.

I can't believe I am going to complan about this because I always love the scores, but I wish they would tone down the music in Lithgow's scene. Don't worry it only took us about 5 seconds to know he is evil, we don't need the DUN-DUN-DUN music everytime.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
on the whole Lundy being onto Dexter thing, I'm starting to wonder if the Trinity killer thing is gonna be resolved quickly leading to Dex/Lundy for the main story of the season, Trinity's thing is killing 3 then moving on, and we're 3 eps in and he's already done 2.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like they're setting up some type of
Police Chick vs. Dexter
storyline given the end of this episode and the upcoming previews. Not quite sure how I feel about that.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I wonder if Quinn's relationship with that reporter is going to lead to him continuing to voice his frustration with Dexter to her, which will lead her to start investigating Dexter, which will be interesting because that alone doesn't do anything to break Dexter's code of when to kill.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I were thinking that Trinity was going to go after Rita next (mid 30s mother of two) but that only lasted a few minutes until they mentioned that the third victim is a man bludgeoned to death.

Wonder if it's going to be a character or just some random dude.

Lei Tong

...un pocho pendejo, at that!
Reaction score
HarleyQuinn said:
Seems like they're setting up some type of
Police Chick vs. Dexter
storyline given the end of this episode and the upcoming previews. Not quite sure how I feel about that.

Why would it make a difference compared to any other target of his?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Part of it is that this one seems to be stalking Dexter and fights back in one clip. Granted, she's a cop so that aspect would make perfect sense but it seems somewhat old hat that a character gets involved with Dexter somehow and either suddenly figures or begins to slowly suspect/realize what Dexter could be. They've done it with Doaks, the woman in S2, and Miguel Prado last year.

Lei Tong

...un pocho pendejo, at that!
Reaction score
I didn't get any sense that she would last beyond the episode, or maybe 2 such as the ridiculously huge Mexican from Season 2, IIRC.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mik said:
My girlfriend and I were thinking that Trinity was going to go after Rita next (mid 30s mother of two) but that only lasted a few minutes until they mentioned that the third victim is a man bludgeoned to death.

Wonder if it's going to be a character or just some random dude.
I want to get my bid in on Anton before anyone else guesses him.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
GREAT episode.

The stuff with Dexter and the cop was fantastic. They made it pretty obvious Lundy was going to eat it at some point, but I really liked the way they did it so suddenly.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had no idea they were going to kill off Lundy, I was guessing more along the lines of he gets accused of being the trinity killer for being so obsessive over it.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Yeah, the "twist" that he's just like Dexter is interesting. It's kinda like Dexter looking into the future.

How much of a bitch is Rita, though? Seriously. Some of the things she says are just out of this world on the bitch scale.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never found Rita to be an interesting character at all. Her main purpose seems to be as a person to be there to show Dexter has a human/loving side, which we could see through his relationship with Debra anyway. I find her to be getting more annoying with each episode though.

I did like the twist of the Trinity killer.