Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dexter

Obi Chris Kenobi

Personal Text goes here, Venkman
Reaction score
: The Buzz April 02, 2009 08:23 am
Discuss the show here. What's your favorite season? Looking forward to the new season? I don't know if we have a literature forum yet, but I guess we can even discuss the books here too. I'll post some links to the Dexter wiki, the dexter action figure, the game since it all pertains to the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_(TV_series)

Dexter Action Figure- http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBP03002

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/856/856254p1.html

: Obi Chris Kenobi April 02, 2009 09:19 am
My favorite show on TV at the moment. I've just started to watch Season 3 and its pretty interesting so far as you can't tell what direction they're going to take it in. I'm glad that they only used the 1st Book for ideas on the TV show as I'm currently reading through the books, and they take a very surreal and paranormal twist throughout the series which I think would turn off most of the TV audience.

: The Buzz April 02, 2009 09:38 am
I'll agree with you there, although atleast they keep taking little pieces of all the books even if they change the ideas quite a bit before they end up on tv. The tone of the first book was excellent, and has made for great tv. I personally think it's the best show on tv, with In Treatment, Californication, Sons of Anarchy, and True Blood being my other current favorites.

: Just Burny April 02, 2009 12:08 pm
When is the new season starting? I've seen all 3 seasons and it really made me want to live in Miami. It didn't help that I looked out my window and saw rainy dark weather.
I haven't read any of the books. Does a season follow a book? Or was it really just a launching pad say for season 1, and then they came up with original stories for the rest?
I do appreciate that each season wraps itself up.

: Obi Chris Kenobi April 02, 2009 12:22 pm
QUOTE (Just Burny @ April 02, 2009 12:08 pm)
I haven't read any of the books. Does a season follow a book? Or was it really just a launching pad say for season 1, and then they came up with original stories for the rest?

The first season of the TV show is the first book. They then take sub plots from the other books (some are pretty minor) and have either turned them into episodes within Season 2 or 3, or have spawned new subplots within the Seasons (Doakes chasing Dexter, Lundy dating Dexter's Sister for example).

The books are pretty cool, but I can't help but feel Jeff Lindsey, the author, has possibly tainted his own character due to the direction he's currently going. The thing is if the TV show hadn't become as popular as it has, I don't think people would have minded as much.

: Prophet of Mike Zagurski April 02, 2009 01:45 pm
I need to get the 2nd season on DVD. I have the first one and it's great. I also bought the soundtrack off of iTunes because the show has some of the best music on TV.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Showtime On Demand is showing episodes 1-6 of Season 1 for those with Verizon. Watching the series premiere right now and I'm amazed at how Michael C. Hall was Dexter from the get go. It also makes seeing the side characters more enjoyable, knowing what the future holds.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
some news for next season

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/31865/john-lithgow-match-wits-with-dexter
Following in the footsteps of Jimmy Smits' guest star turn in last season's "Dexter", the show's producers have tapped Emmy and Tony winner John Lithgow for all 12 episodes of Season 4. Now this is a casting coup I can get behind 100%!

The Hollywood Reporter provided the following description of Lithgow's character, Walter Simmons:

Simmons is described as an unassuming, mild-mannered suburbanite who has been living a dual life as one of America's most prolific and deadliest serial killers, dubbed the "Trinity Killer" because of his proclivity to kill in threes. He relocates to Miami after being tracked by F.B.I. Special Agent Frank Lundy (Keith Carradine), where Dexter Morgan is brought on to assist in the investigation and becomes fascinated with "Trinity's" skills.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
This show pulls off some great casting moves. I think Lithgow will do great in the roll. And hell yeah tn Lundy coming back.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm all for the return of Lundy, now if only Doakes would make some appearances somehow. I'm not sold on Lithgow, but he was gold in Harry and The Hendersons....

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
top half

I was referring to a vision, ghost, whatever the hell it is that Dexter sees. Hell even a flashback in a Laguerta centered episode when they were partners or something.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Anyone have a release date for Season 3 yet? I own 1 & 2, and really wanna watch 3 before 4 starts.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's coming out in August...I believe the 11th according to Amazon.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
3rd Rock from the Sun destroyed John Lithgrow for me, I can't see past him as Harry. Cliffhanger will never be the same again now.

M

Matt Young

Seasons 1 and 2 are up for streaming on Netflix. I guess now would be a good time to get into this show.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, in re-watching S1 and S2, I found I liked Season 1 the best.

I'd rank the seasons as follows
1: Really good writing, good casting, good storylines for the most part.
2: Solid but some things were up and down and a few characters were just annoying.
3: I just don't like JimmySmits as an actor and didn't care much for the storyline or the Dexter/Rita relationship and ensuing results.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
Aye they've got weaker as the seasons have gone on, but its still the best TV show around at the moment. Strangely, the books get worse as they go on too.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Season 3 reruns should begin in about 2 weeks. Currently they are showing reruns of Season 2 and showing 2 episodes per week, this Sunday it is 21/22, next sunday 23/24...and then season 3 reruns!!!

I'm glad I'll be able to catch season 3 before 4 comes out. Of course the season 3 DVD set comes out shortly as well.

The Buzz

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still say they should bring Doakes back in the form of a vision that nags at Dexter for what he's doing. Those webisodes sound interesting as well. I wonder if they are going to leak the opener like they've done the last two years.

tommytomlin

Active Poster
Reaction score
Love the Doakes idea - he could replace Dexter's dad, he's getting a bit repetitive.

Season 2 was a mix bag - you had the Doakes v Dexter stuff and the hotness of the British chick, but then she opened her mouth and I think it took a few too many episodes to come together. It made for a good finale but there wasn't enough in the middle of the season to draw me in. As soon as Prado's dark side kicked in, Season 3 became awesome. I think the final episode was a bit underwhelming, but I liked the build for Prado's downfall.

I reckon they should have held off on Doakes v Dexter for Season 3. I thought it was a bit too early to pull the trigger on Dexter getting found out, it seems like the appropriate forum for a wrestling analogy so.. it was like Goldberg vs Hogan for free on Nitro. Hold off on that for a year and it's even bigger. I understand they follow the books but I think Doakes deserved a longer run, he was the best part of the show.

Just Burny

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When does Season 4 start? I came into this thread hoping to here the first episode had aired. Now i'll just go back to staring at the wall

Just Burny

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just watched the 1st ep of Season 4. It was a pretty good set up. It's times like this where I take for granted having seasons backed up & being able to watch episodes back-to-back

Frosty

Slippery
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the first episode(s) for one of the other seasons was leaked as well. So this isn't an odd occurance for Dexter.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
I'm fighting the urge to watch the leaked ep 'cause it'll just make the wait for the second ep that much worse, heh