Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Dexter

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
ITS A LANDSLIDE said:
i5RYOCS7SyIRn.gif

Crap. I meant to comment on this scene. So the bad guy goes in and puts money into the little jukebox while Dexter is watching him through the window. They do a time cut and his inner monologue says something like "that's the fifth time he's played that same song." Now I'm thinking... Have you really been staring through this business' window for the past 20 minutes or so, out in the open? I think if I was one of the other patrons I would tell the management that some creep is outside just glaring in.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
So did they decide to just completely drop the fact the "Deb is in love with Dexter" subplot?
Pretty much. Her non-sibling love for him vanished when she found him killing Doomsday.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
It's sad to watch this show just limp towards the end. Dexter at it's best was never the smartest or more well written, but at least it was always dramatic and fun. What crazy things will Dexter get into this season? What evil mastermind will match Dexter step-for-step in their serial chess game while Dexter tries to balance his personal life?

This and the last season have consisted of nothing but dropped or anticlimactic storylines. The season with Olmos and Hanks was a big drop down in quality from the year before (which was already a big drop from Trinity the year before), but at least it felt like I was watching Dexter. I was mostly invested outside of the "incest is the best" plotline. Now I honestly couldn't care less about a single character on the show. All of the side-stories feel like they're just there to fill time. Quinn and the stripper? Look at everything that lead to (Psst, nothing. Nothing is what it lead to.) Matsuka and his daughter? Where's that headed? Absolutely nowhere. Quinn and Bautista's sister? That payoff was sure worth all the time we spent with them. Deb's boss confessing his feelings to her? Hah! Dexter having a protege? Nah, let's kill him and have it affect no one. Oh, and that random chick that showed up out of nowhere and got that promotion we were told was super important but hasn't affected the show in the tiniest bit! It didn't even lead to any real tension between Bautista and Quinn. And... yeah.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Someone on my facebook feed said Reddit has posted a spoiler-filled breakdown of the series finale and it is awful.

We're so close that I don't even want to look at it on chance it is legit, but for those that don't mind, you can go take a look.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
Someone on my facebook feed said Reddit has posted a spoiler-filled breakdown of the series finale and it is awful.

We're so close that I don't even want to look at it on chance it is legit, but for those that don't mind, you can go take a look.
I honestly don't even care anymore. Sunday's episode aired and I haven't even made an effort to watch it yet. Gonna go look up them spoilers now.

EDIT: Yep. It's pretty awful an inexplicable. Especially what is to be the "big thing" of the episode coming out of left field and of course making zero sense.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Are the same people still writing this show? While seasons 6 and 7 weren't great, there were good parts. This season has been total crap. There's nothing good here. Last year wasn't very good. But you had the two episodes with the gravedigger that was killing women. That was tense. This year is his a big pile of nothing.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
I actually thought the introduction of Vogel was a good thing with potential. Kind of a look into Dexter's origins and finding out what he thought he knew wasn't necessarily true......but then it quickly went south with the would-be protege and then Vogel's son etc etc....

OG

OG
Reaction score
So they've really went all in on Saxon as the end-all-be-all villain eh? I love how Lem, being a US Marshall and all, didn't recognize the most wanted man in Miami directly in front of him.

Overall, I didn't hate the episode and it does leave me curious for next week. C'est la vie...

PS: I really need to stop watching Dexter after Breaking Bad. Just makes Dexter seem even worse.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
did robotic doakes appear and kill every character cause i'm not interested otherwise.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
That was such a fucking awful ending. I can't put into words how bad I thought that was. After watching such an amazing series finale in Burn Notice, this was just garbage.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
okay, i read the spoiler

dexter fakes his death and becomes a lumberjack

you've got to be shitting me bwhahahahaha

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
So my decision to stop following this show after the Lithgow season was the right one?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
sanmank said:
So my decision to stop following this show after the Lithgow season was the right one?

yes unless you want a funnier show than most sitcoms.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
There was a lot of problems with that ending, the least of which having to do with Dexter himself.

NYU

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Clyde Phillips Ending: (original show runner)

"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.
"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.
"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."

-------------------------------------------------------

That would have been an outstanding ending. It would have made up for the thousand mis-steps of this season. But they truly outdid themselves on the shittiness tonight.

NYU

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hannah must love that Dexter saddled her with Harrison by the way. How soon until she drops him off at the nearest Argentinian orphanage? Like....two hours?

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Yeah no shit. My biggest problem was that Dexter thinks leaving Harrison with Hannah is a good plan. WTF?

Dexter spent all season coming to the realization that his desire to kill went away when he was with Hannah, and then in the last half hour of the finale he does a 180 and says "nah, they'll be better off without me" The fuck? THE FUCK? Hannah Mckay? FUCK.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, Miami Metro never finds out they had the biggest serial killer in Miami working for them all along?

They are worse than the Springfield Police Department.

And, did Quinn contribute anything to the series in the six seasons he has existed?

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
It's best to leave my son with an international fugitive (That doesn't have enough common sense to even modify her appearance) than to live with his father... Who's clear of any and all charges.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
If anything why not send Harrison with Ester & Cody's grandmother and leave him with that in-tact "normal" family?

The way this series in the later seasons tends to just completely forget and write out characters for no good reason other then convenience of current story arc, is ridiculous.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
If anything why not send Harrison with Ester & Cody's grandmother and leave him with that in-tact "normal" family?

The way this series in the later seasons tends to just completely forget and write out characters for no good reason other then convenience of current story arc, is ridiculous.

Rita hasn't been mentioned since like season 5 lol.